Good night, Edith Bunker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: Good night, Edith Bunker

And to tie this to baseball, she played Sister Miller in both the Broadway and film versions of Damn Yankees in the mid and late 1950s.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to antibody's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

great character, amazing show...tremendous cast, but most of all, socially significant...

Agree with all of the above. Some truly remarkable moments, some hilarious, some controversial, some poignant. Sheer brilliance.

Edith was a dingbat who, when Mike told her he was an agnostic, though that  meant he wanted to be married by a rabbi. But in truth, she had more common sense than any of them.

In the early first season episodes the Edith character was a little more edgy, in a sense more gritty than the over-the-top "dingbat" that she evolved into. In any case, a brilliant series. So true to life. It's a shame to think that there won't be another like it any time soon. It's unthinkable that a show like AITF would be allowed to be shown today with so many people so sensitive about damned near everything.

"Those Were The Days" indeed.

it would be on HBO.

[/QUOTE]

You're right.

So kick me, I'm stupid. (I used to have a picture that said that but I haven't worked out how to post them in the new system [oops- better kick me again]).Yell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Edith what was you thinking dare,ah shut up meathead yuse don't nose nutin,Oh Archie! Great lady and you had to love that show. R.I.P. Ms. Jean Stapleton.

Sportsbozo1

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Just cuz ....

we've had some fun with a poster named Edith Bunker ... the remarkable actress Jean Stapleton passed at the remarkable age of 90, and this is just a quick moment of smiling with her as she helped bring an iconic character to life forever.

RIP, mother of Meathead, wife of Archie, and "those were the days!"

Hi pal. long time no see. I really loved that show. It really took on a totally new look after "Edith" passed. Do you remember the episode when they were cleaning out her closets and dresser draws and Archie sat down on the bed and found one of her slippers under it. Two incredibly tallented actors those two. I also loved her when she was in the movie fantasy "Michael" with John Travolta. They played angels. I count my lucky stars every day Yaz because my mom is 90 and still drives and gets around just fine.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just cuz ....

we've had some fun with a poster named Edith Bunker ... the remarkable actress Jean Stapleton passed at the remarkable age of 90, and this is just a quick moment of smiling with her as she helped bring an iconic character to life forever.

Hi pal. long time no see. I really loved that show. It really took on a totally new look after "Edith" passed. Do you remember the episode when they were cleaning out her closets and dresser draws and Archie sat down on the bed and found one of her slippers under it. Two incredibly tallented actors those two. I also loved her when she was in the movie fantasy "Michael" with John Travolta. They played angels. I count my lucky stars every day Yaz because my mom is 90 and still drives and gets around just fine.

Two funny episodes were with Sami Davis Jr, and when they had the flash back of the planning of Mike and Gloria's wedding.  Mike's uncle played by the tough sergant from Hill Street Blues, hated archie and playfully threatened him.

The most dramatic was when Mike and Archie got locked down the cellar and both started drinking.  Archie relived his childhood on how is father beat him, Mike changed his feeliing of Arch after this.

[/QUOTE]
    Gawd Jack I remember that episode. Those two went together like cheese and crackers. they were brilliant at their craft. who would have ever thought that rob reiner would marry penny marshal and that both would go on to fantastic director careers. same thing can be said for Ron Howard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

One of the best shows EVER!  RIP

FYI.....she was the mother in law to 'meathead'.  Hard to believe meathead became a world renown director!! 

Thanks for the correction

MIstake easily made and I doubt Meathead would correct you.  He always referred to Edith as "Ma"  in the shows.  Great show and probably one of the last ones which families all gathered around to watch.

Outstanding point ....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

Just cuz ....

Hammah,

WE both are blessed, my friend.   I just finished talking to my mother, born November 1919 ... she does say she is doing considerably well considering tghe warantee ran out 22 years ago.   But Sears doesn't have replacement parts so ...

As I noted before, "Michael" first got my critical view because of all the misrepresentation of angels (and therefore, God - my brain ties things together...)  But it did get to me and it's a movie I really enjoy.  It is funny but it also has a great deal of gravitas.

Again, my friend, we are fortunate .... Jean Stapleton just another ray of light in our lives.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

And to tie this to baseball, she played Sister Miller in both the Broadway and film versions of Damn Yankees in the mid and late 1950s.

Yep....and that seemed to be the birth of the "Dingbat" character....what a great lady and wonderful actress.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to Potomac87's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

One of the best shows EVER!  RIP

FYI.....she was the mother in law to 'meathead'.  Hard to believe meathead became a world renown director!! 

Sounds like you forgot that Rob Reiner was playing the role of Meathead and you disagreed with his liberal politics.

Reiner was born to a Jewish family in The Bronx, New York, and is the son of Estelle Reiner (née Lebost), an actress, and Carl Reiner, a comedian, actor, writer, producer, and director.[2] As a child, Reiner lived on Bonnie Meadow Lane in New Rochelle, New York, the same street address as the fictional Petrie family in The Dick Van Dy-ke Show created by Rob's father, Carl Reiner.

Career [edit]

Reiner began his career writing for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in 1968 and 1969. A few years later, Reiner became famous playing Michael Stivic, Archie Bunker's liberal son-in-law, on Norman Lear's 1970s sitcom All in the Family, which was the most-watched television program in the United States for five seasons (1971–1976). The character's nickname became closely associated with him, even after he had left the role and went on build a high-profile career as a director. Reiner has stated, "I could win the Nobel Prize and they'd write 'Meathead wins the Nobel Prize'."[3]

Not sure how you determined he was against Reiner's views.  Just because he didn't mention Reiner by name, he did take the time to mention the influential person he became in the craft.

Sections
Shortcuts