Good riddance Rays.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Good riddance Rays.

I think Tb trades Upton this winter and perhaps Shields next winter. Jennings will probably be better than upton, so TB saves money and improves in CF. They may trade Niemann also, and should get something very good in return (at less $$ cost). Assume they let Damon, Cruz, Lopez, Upton (trade), Kotchman and Niemann (trade) go.

They still have this (not counting what they get for Upton and Niemann):

C: Shoppach/Jaso. Cirinos/Labaton
    1B: Dan Johnson or FA/trade
    2B: Zobrist (Rodriguez)
    3B: Longoria
    SS: Rodriguez/Bignac/E. Johnson
    LF: Fuld/Ruggiano
    CF: Jennings
    RF: Joyce/Guyer
    DH: FA/Trade

S1: Shields
    S2: Price
    S3: Hellickson
    S4: Moore
    S5: W.Davis
    S6: A. Cobb

R1: Farnsworth
    R2: Peralta
    R3: Ramos
    R4: Howell
    R5: Gomes
    R6: Sonnanstine/Russell/McGee/Torres

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tc25. Show tc25's posts

In Response to Re: Good riddance Rays.:
    I for one am sorry to see the Rays go. Here are the reasons: first, they did us a huge favor by making sure we didn't get into the playoffs. Had we been playing in October, we would still be hobbled by our useless manager. Now he is out (and I wish him well) and our GM is, hopefully, on his way out too. Second, the Rays are a team with no real superstars. They are an unassuming confident underpaid bunch who played hard every night. None of the Country Club nonsense that pervaded the Red FLOPS clubhouse this year, just young hungry baseball players. Thats refreshing when compared to our own group of whiny overpaid stiffs.
    Posted by pumpsie-green

pumpsie, tell sea beach to make an occasional appearance I want to heat what he says about Tito being gone

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

You bet, Aufwiedersehen Rays ... take those f-ing cowbells and mohawks and that junkyard called a ballpark with you.   So much for them being the chosen ones.  Looks like pitching ISN'T everything after all.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

pumpsie, tell sea beach to make an occasional appearance I want to heat what he says about Tito being gone   

I'll mention it to him, but just FYI: he wasn't too terribly disappointed.                               

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vcec. Show vcec's posts

Yeah, baby! That old meanie in me agrees 100%. Even if they did deserve to be in ... Tampa Bay area doesn't deserve to have the opportunty.  I love the Tampa area (or more correctly, the Tampa area of the '70s and '80s) but they have so little desire to become a singlular sports centered community.  Too many flocking from too many other places with loyalties already given elsewhere. I would almost bet there are more Brewer fans in the Tampa area than Rays fans.  I am sure there are more Buckeye fans, Wolverine, Badger, Nittany Lion, Orange, Vols and Bama, Gator, 'Noles, Steeler, even White Sox and de Bears fans in Tampa Bay than Rays fans.
    Posted by SinceYaz

I AGREE..............so we're gonna ship back all those people who belong up north. It'll ease congestion on our roads, take care of overcrowded schools, lower our taxes, reduce our housing costs and lower our unemployment rate. We get our beaches back, our stores returned and we no longer have to wait in line to go to Disney World. We will  live in peace with out the damn nawtherners telling us how much better it is wherever they came from. How great their sports teams are, how hot it is down here and how you can't get a decent ................(fill in the blank - pizza, hoagie, lobsta roll, crab cake, etc) and that there are too many southerners who don't care about hockey, baseball football and championships and we don't deserve to even be part of the United States because nobody likes it down here anyway. I say we close down I-95, ship back granny, pack up the bandwagon and deport everyone who came from somewhere else. Close the border and let you all wallow in Georgia where they know how to treat the uppity.   Cool

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

Zillagod - jealousy rears its ugly head Get used to it. By the way, the Rays with their great pitching will be finishing ahead of the over-hyped Sox for many more years

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm jealous of TB's starters. 

Skilled.

Young.

Experienced.

All team-controlled for 3+ years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I did not say "more deserving" or "less deserving", just that they are not playoff calibre. They backed into a wildcard spot, just as we would have. And they played like a team that backed into a playoff spot. The game is so watered down that they should go back to two divisions, eliminate the wildcard and have "quality" teams in postseason. There is damn little talent in this league for 30 teams, just like hockey, they need to stop expanding and allowing teams into playoffs that are a joke.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I agree that MLB should go back to 2 divisions and 4 playoff teams.  That would eliminate the cold weather for the most part...or at least the November games and make the regular season mean something other than just home field advantage. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

shortening the season is a better idea, take away ten games and increase double headers by 5 and you automatically save 15 calender days.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you do that then expand the roster to 26.

I actually like 8 teams in the playoffs.

I'd like to see total re-allignment though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

Dear MLB

Please Contract the Rays. Or Move them to Another State that cares about their team. Florida doesnt need two of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brian1976. Show Brian1976's posts

I'd like to see what the Red Sox total Runs were for September.  Every game they won seemed to be 14-0.  Doesn't matter much does it?  All that we remember is the collapse.  They only deserved to be there because the sox choked it away.  Texas was clearly better.

I know they did not take it to five games, but did the rays get blown out of one of the games?  They deserved to be there, and should be proud that they got there with a payroll 1/3 of what the sox have. I would not be too pissed off at the rays.  They have themselves set up for the future, much better then our sox. Sounds like a lot of sour grapes when someone bashes the team who beat the sox in several ways this season.
    Posted by jackbu

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Rays should move to NC.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I for one am sorry to see the Rays go. Here are the reasons: first, they did us a huge favor by making sure we didn't get into the playoffs. Had we been playing in October, we would still be hobbled by our useless manager. Now he is out (and I wish him well) and our GM is, hopefully, on his way out too. Second, the Rays are a team with no real superstars. They are an unassuming confident underpaid bunch who played hard every night. None of the Country Club nonsense that pervaded the Red FLOPS clubhouse this year, just young hungry baseball players. Thats refreshing when compared to our own group of whiny overpaid stiffs.
    Posted by pumpsie-green

Nice points, very interesting! I STILL loathe the Rays with every molecule in my flesh and wish them nothing but losses in the near and distant future. But thx for your input.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Good riddance Rays.:
    They obviously didn't belong in the postseason. They obviously did belong. They started off the season 1-8, as bad as Boston. They managed to play .550 ball on the year which 2/3 of the league did not do.

They didn't have the horses to compete. True they lacked one horse (a prominent hitter). Evan Longoria missed nearly 20 games and while he was on the DL the team did not have an AGON, ELLES, and ORTIZ to carry the load. This speaks volumes to just how well they did play and the importance of Ben Zorbist having a career year.

We gave them a glimmer of hope by playing awful. We played .600 ball for a long time even though our team showed signs at that time of pitching woes. Our offense like Tampas pitching was the reason we did as well as we did. A wash.

Maddon is no genius. I guess it's better to be lucky than good. He is at lteast as good as Tito, different approach same great results normally.

Former Sox player Adrian Beltre knocks them out, thanks Adrian.  I don't miss Beltre if it would have meant not acquiring AGon to keep A. Beltre. Sure with hindsight we could have traded Youk and kep Beltre but nobody really wanted that last December.

Posted by ZILLAGOD

Comments in red by BurritoT

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from legion12941. Show legion12941's posts

What I am saying is not that the Rays "deserve" or "don't deserve" anything, just that MLB is selling us an inferior product when a team that has a mostly AAA looking lineup can be the 4th best team in the AL. I yearn for the days when even the middle of the pack teams had lots of recognizable names and committed players.

I don't know why a lot of people revel in the talent in the minors who can or should be called up or traded for then totally insult their talent when they do get to the majors by calling them an "inferior" team.
    I don't think that the Rays can be called an "inferior" team by any reasonable measure. And, no, a short series isn't a reasonable measure.

The league has been watered down by expansion, and the talent level is disgusting compared to salaries the players are making. I am just saying that more is actually less. The "more" refers to amount of teams and amount of money, the "less" refers to excitement level or "bang for the buck."

Surprise! The Marlins have exactly the same number of WS Rings as the Red Sox since they were formed! The Diamondbacks have half as many!
    You mean the "no name" players like David Ortiz (who got released by the Twins) or Josh Beckett who helped the Red Sox to their WS Championships?
    I don't see how players' salaries factor in on the excitement of the games themselves.

At the risk of sounding like an old fogey , which may or may not be true, the playoffs have lost their lustre in the modern day, they were more exciting in the 70's and 80's. I blame expansion fr my disenchantment with postseason, I used to anticipate great games, now it is just so sub-par and ordinary. Series like the Red Sox/Reds of 1975, Mets / Astros of 1986, Royals/ Cards of 1982, seem to be the exception not the norm, back then there were many great playoff series and matchups. Now we watch some of these series and I am saying , "who are these guys?"

I know that the frustrations of the last two seasons are taking a toll on some here, but to say that postseasons have not been exciting merely displays your bias.
    You mean the Seattle entry into the postseason in '95 wasn't exciting for the Mariners' fans? The postseason matchups between the Yankees and the As and the Yankees and the Twins in the last decade wasn't exciting for the As and Twins fans, at least until they ended? You mean the drama in Chicago (the Bartman incident) wasn't enthralling? You even left out the 2001 WS which was pretty exciting by any measure!
    I get it that the postseason isn't exciting for the fans of teams that don't get in or don't get far, but to say that the postseasons have not been exciting is wrong and can only be said by people not watching the in-game drama of each at bat or each pitch! 

(Plus, if every game was "exciting", the excitement level would also rise and games which would otherwise be exciting would seem "normal". Perhaps that is what has happened with you.)
    I really appreciate your insight in this forum, but I just had to reply to what I perceived was a slight to all the other fans of the game.

Posted by ZILLAGOD

Sections
Shortcuts