Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington era.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington e...

In Response to Re: Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington era.:
    [QUOTE]If what we read/hear is accurate, ownership has sent a powerful message to Ben.  Looks to me that now that Theo is gone, and he was a stone in Larry's shoe, Larry is now empowered and Ben is more of a "window dressing" GM. But hey, who wouldn't take his job, even with the side show post September?
    Posted by drpjn[/QUOTE]

exactly. posted that at the end of the season as well. didnt seem so hidden to me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington e...

mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

Ownership input/approval is a given, however they appear to be working in reverse. One would think that ownership (we know its really Larry calling the shots) would define the search criteria/requirements; Ben and the baseball ops team would then search based on that criteria and present who they think is the best candidate. That appears to have happened when they interviewed 5, narrowed to 1 only to be shot down... they're now looking outside the original candidate pool. I have no idea if Sveum was the right guy or not, but it appears Larry and crew hung Ben and crew out to dry with the first round of interview charades.

agreed

i specuilated on why it may have gone this way on the masseroti article comments.

As for the Tito hire, I don't remember this sort of circus taking place back in 2004, they identified a pool of candidates (which was a stronger pool, IMO), interviewed the candidates and made a hire.  Theo didn't have autonomy on decisions, but his opinion was held in high regard, IMO.

yeah, but they got that wrong too (shouldve hire maddon-wouldve doen better over the years than froncona).  but i think even then they wanted a "softer" ie more malleable by them manger than one who knew what he was doing and would be determined to follow it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington era.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington era. : Do you think that the Red Sox revolve around what you think? If So please let us  give you a standing ovation. Now can you get your stupid remarks out of here.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

sorry you are a fool (not necessarily a bad person mind you)
    mb has a brain on his shoulders, uses it and is correct.
    so if you want to shoo someone off the board, try yourself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]The CC deal has left a bad taste in the mouth of Lucchino et,al. There is no way BC will be able to do anything unless told to do so....especially since he is still wet behind the ears himself. There doesn't seem to be much trust in this organization, and it appears to be clearer that the collapse of the 2011 season, was much more than just "bad play"
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

agreed with your points. however not sure abotu the no decisions left to ben part. that might be a little extreme. no big ones maybe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]srsly!! why doesnt Lucchino be the GM since he makes all the decisions anyway
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]

agreed. ben is serving some purpose for them. they are not going to say what that is obviously (at least not the truth)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Is it all a RS front office master plot to make Theo  think they wanted Svuem ?

Will the Cubs now sign Svuem and flip him to the Sox as Theo compensation ?

No matter how many  days in office the GM has, I think the key is that the team president and owners  buy into the hire. 

Not sure  Dale was going to come in here, and get the attention of the Red Sox players   who have been here 5-6-8-10 years anyway..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington era. : LOL "cyber muscles". Hope you don't mind if I use that.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Have at it!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE] mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE] Ownership input/approval is a given, however they appear to be working in reverse. One would think that ownership (we know its really Larry calling the shots) would define the search criteria/requirements; Ben and the baseball ops team wou ld then search based on that criteria and present who they think is the best candidate. That appears to have happened when they interviewed 5, narrowed to 1 only to be shot down... they're now looking outside the original candidate pool. I have no idea if Sveum was the right guy or not, but it appears Larry and crew hung Ben and crew out to dry with the first round of interview charades. agreed i specuilated on why it may have gone this way on the masseroti article comments. As for the Tito hire, I don't remember this sort of circus taking place back in 2004, they identified a pool of candidates (which was a stronger pool, IMO), interviewed the candidates and made a hire.  Theo didn't have autonomy on decisions, but his opinion was held in high regard, IMO. yeah, but they got that wrong too (shouldve hire maddon-wouldve doen better over the years than froncona).  but i think even then they wanted a "softer" ie more malleable by them manger than one who knew what he was doing and would be determined to follow it.
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

bre,
    I love Maddon, would like nothing more than for him to be the next Sox manager, but it's tough to say they got the hire wrong when it generated 2 World Series titles.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

All GM's are reportable to somebody but it's getting more obvious that Cherington is just a title that make low level decisions.     He needs clearance from Lucchino before any impact decision is made with his name attached to it.    For the sake of show, Cherington will be seen at all press conferences

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Good to see that the newly minted GM has zero influence in the hiring of a new manager... great start to the Cherington era. : Ownership input/approval is a given, however they appear to be working in reverse. One would think that ownership (we know its really Larry calling the shots) would define the search criteria/requirements; Ben and the baseball ops team wou ld then search based on that criteria and present who they think is the best candidate. That appears to have happened when they interviewed 5, narrowed to 1 only to be shot down... they're now looking outside the original candidate pool. I have no idea if Sveum was the right guy or not, but it appears Larry and crew hung Ben and crew out to dry with the first round of interview charades. agreed i specuilated on why it may have gone this way on the masseroti article comments. As for the Tito hire, I don't remember this sort of circus taking place back in 2004, they identified a pool of candidates (which was a stronger pool, IMO), interviewed the candidates and made a hire.  Theo didn't have autonomy on decisions, but his opinion was held in high regard, IMO. yeah, but they got that wrong too (shouldve hire maddon-wouldve doen better over the years than froncona).  but i think even then they wanted a "softer" ie more malleable by them manger than one who knew what he was doing and would be determined to follow it. Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE] bre, I love Maddon, would like nothing more than for him to be the next Sox manager, but it's tough to say they got the hire wrong when it generated 2 World Series titles.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

i can see that side. however, you have the ability to project in football and i would presume in baseball. if youve watched maddon, you will i believe he is at least twice the manager tito is, in every aspect of being a manager, baseball and managing players, on and on. i feel so confident that w'ed do better over the same span, i WOULD have no qualms giving back those 2 and choosing again differently in choosing maddon. tito is a nice guy. and he boosts players "feel good", but he was a play back then for a pushover for mgt, rather than going for the best guy, in my eyes. nice guy. not a top 3 or 5 manager in baseball over the last several years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]All GM's are reportable to somebody but it's getting more obvious that Cherington is just a title that make low level decisions.     He needs clearance from Lucchino before any impact decision is made with his name attached to it.    For the sake of show, Cherington will be seen at all press conferences
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

seems pretty much the case, and what i said before it was evident.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The scenarios mentioned are all valid--my take is Ben had a good interview with Dale S, brought the name to management. DS had a bad interview with management--bring us more names.

We all know Ben had either a face to face interview with Bobby V early on probably LL's idea. Bobby didn't want to go through the process because of his current job-he is known well enough by management--they go along with it.

Dale S bad interview--leaked info on Bobby V as a candidate--Mazz and DS don't like Bobby V as a  candidate and start negative advertising in their papers and on their new media outlet Comcast with Felger--there's trouble and chaos at Fenway.