Gordon Edes Article about Beckett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from markten22. Show markten22's posts

Gordon Edes Article about Beckett

Not sure if any of you read the article, but if you didnt, visit espnboston.com.  In his piece about Becket, Becket said in a Q&A with Edes "We get 18 off days a year. I think we deserve a little time to ourselves." This in response to his golf outing.

18 days off a year!!!  maybe if he was a fielding player.  That would be the number of off days the sox have this season.  My problem with this is: 1) He only starts 33 games a year, 2) the Sox dont play baseball (if they dont make the playoffs) from October 1 to february 15.

Issue number 1)  I didnt realize the days he didnt pitch were such hard working days.  I mean what the hell is he doing.  Hitting the gym, playing long toss and throwing a side session?  And after that he gets to watch a game.  Wow.. Such a hard day!  Its not like he is an everyday player who has to get himself ready and grind for 160+ games a year.  18 days off.  Really?

Issue number 2) I didnt realize he was working his butt off during the off season.  What could he be doing.  Jogging, weight training, some catch and pitch.  Really.. that isnt a day off?  How hard is that. Especially if you are a multi millionare doing it on some awesome beach in the Bahamas.  Oh wait.. he doesnt do that.. he goes hunting.  I guess that doesnt count for his off days!

This is so rediculous.  The average fan and myself work at least 250 days a year.  if we are lucky we get 2 weeks vactaion and 10+ holidays.  Thats it.  What is Beckett thinking, it comes off so incensative and spoiled.  I work harder than he will ever work and make about .05% of what he will make in a year. 

Being blessed with size and strength does warrant you the millions you make, I could never do what you do, but the stupidity that comes out of your mouth is completely unwarrented.

I am so disgusted with these comments that I................  I give up...  Im done with him.

Sincerely,

Mark, an accountant in Hawaii!  thank god I live in paradise to distract me from this BS! 

Keep the BS going Josh!  Your number one!!!  Number one in full of sh*t!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Gordon Edes Article about Beckett

147 posts in SEVEN years. It's so funny that after I started reading profiles from posters like you before I commented, you all decided to have a private profile. Are you all the same person? Why on earth would you have a private profile on a baseball message board? What's so secret about your posts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes Article about Beckett:
    147 posts in SEVEN years. It's so funny that after I started reading profiles from posters like you before I commented, you all decided to have a private profile. Are you all the same person? Why on earth would you have a private profile on a baseball message board? What's so secret about your posts?
    Posted by kimsaysthis

So what? Read what he wrote. He's right. That's the point, Kim. Stop worrying about busting posters for a second and read what is written..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I read and disagree. Nothing wrong with golf on a day off. A lot wrong with how he pitched, but the golf didn't cause that. He reported pain after his last start, 126 pitches, which is why he missed a start. The missed start might have contributed to the bad start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I think this whole thing is way overblown but Becketts attitude doesn't help anything either.  If he wasn't such a pompous @ss the media and fans would always cut him some slack.  So I guess you get what you deserve.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I read and disagree. Nothing wrong with golf on a day off. A lot wrong with how he pitched, but the golf didn't cause that. He reported pain after his last start, 126 pitches, which is why he missed a start. The missed start might have contributed to the bad start.
    Posted by maxbialystock

You sound like someone who is trying to convince himself of something he knows in his heart isn't true.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortuee. Show Ortuee's posts

Beckett needs to go down to Pawtucket. See if he can figure it out down there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kirbyrob. Show kirbyrob's posts

I remember when Jorge Posada's newborn was having skull surgery during one of the seasons in the late 90's.

I basically remember him going out there and catching just about every game.

No Excuses. No Attitude.

It's sad what Josh has become in the eyes of baseball. I would love for someone like Dustin Pedroia to blast him publicaly. But that would be something I'd expect Beckett to do. He's THAT unprofessional these days.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron offers a different perspective:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/josh-becketts-missing-fastball/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

does fansgraph also chart the amount of weight gained by beckett since he started to become an average pitcher in the last 5 years? how about the amount of chicken/beer/golfing that he partaked in during that mediocre stretch? how about the amount of money he has stolen pitching like a number 6 starter?

fat, stupid, and lazy...that is what we pay half a million dollars a start for...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS75. Show RS75's posts

Clearly, his execution was flawed.  Got two strikes on eight hitters and couldn't close the deal on most of them.  In key spots, he didn't pitch to the target and got the ball up.  Professionals are paid to execute and he did not.  May be his focus was off - still thinking about his round of golf on his "off" day!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Posted by Ortuee

Beckett only cares about Beckett. He is not a team player and deosn't care whether he wins or loses. He knows he will draw his $16M a year regardless.

It became quite evident to me when wathcing him at bat during interleague play. Takes three and sits down unless he wants to swing the bat. He's a prima-donna who needs a lesson in humility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcct. Show dcct's posts

Posted by Ortuee

The problem is that Lester and Buck need to go down to figure it all out as well...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I have no problem with Beckett playing golf on an off day, I really don't.  I think his start was mostly skipped because they wanted to get a Cook a start. 

I do have a problem with him stinking it up on the mound and generally coming off like he doesn't really care sometimes.  My guess is he acts like doesn't care b/c he knows he no longer has the stuff to dominate like he once did.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Clearly, his execution was flawed.  Got two strikes on eight hitters and couldn't close the deal on most of them.  In key spots, he didn't pitch to the target and got the ball up.  Professionals are paid to execute and he did not.  May be his focus was off - still thinking about his round of golf on his "off" day!
    Posted by RS75

that's exactly right - the damage was done w/ 2 K's.......He can no longer put hitters away.  he has NO out-pitch.  His stuff has become very hittable and he's not fooling anyone and his strike out rate is beginning a decline....more balls in play = more potential for bad things.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I think this whole thing is way overblown but Becketts attitude doesn't help anything either.  If he wasn't such a pompous @ss the media and fans would always cut him some slack.  So I guess you get what you deserve.
    Posted by Mchampion

Exactly the point. This is all about his attitude and him not giving a bleep about the team. It happened with chicken and beer last year and it's happening again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes Article about Beckett : Exactly the point. This is all about his attitude and him not giving a bleep about the team. It happened with chicken and beer last year and it's happening again.
    Posted by ADG

Exactly.  Beckett playing golf really isn't a big deal.  It is how he handles himself.

The attitude worked for him when he was leading teams to championships, now  that seems to have lost his stuff, it just comes off as unaccountable and arrogant.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes Article about Beckett : Beckett only cares about Beckett. He is not a team player and deosn't care whether he wins or loses. He knows he will draw his $16M a year regardless. It became quite evident to me when wathcing him at bat during interleague play. Takes three and sits down unless he wants to swing the bat. He's a prima-donna who needs a lesson in humility.
    Posted by harv53

I agree with what you said except for one thing.  Prima dona, is a title reserved for the absolute best performers, whose skill and level of execution is above the rest.

Beckett certainly is not a Prima dona, except maybe in his own contorted twisted mind.

He is a loser. A failure. Childish. And incapable of learning from his mistakes. In short, a petulant blow-hard.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The thing is he is far from the worse pitcher on this team. He is attitude is the problem and has had two really bad starts that have inflated his era overall he has been fine this season.

Sections
Shortcuts