Gordon Edes: Don't laugh -2015 Giancarlo Stanton & Chris Sale in a Sox uniform? Thoughts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Gordon Edes: Don't laugh -2015 Giancarlo Stanton & Chris Sale in a Sox uniform? Thoughts?

By Gordon Edes | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- "It's not all wishful thinking. The Red Sox have talked about it in-house, too, which probably is no different than 28 other major league teams.

But after three major moves in the last 23 days -- the trade for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, the trade for outfielder Allen Craig and pitcher Joe Kelly, and the signing of Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo -- the Sox may be better positioned than most to match up with the Miami Marlins should they elect to trade 24-year-old slugger Giancarlo Stanton this winter.

Or, should Boston choose, put together a package for White Sox left-hander Chris Sale. Or -- don't laugh -- perhaps both."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Gordon Edes: Don't laugh -2015 Giancarlo Stanton & Chris Sale in a Sox uniform? Thoughts?

Gordon Edes:" A major league source indicated that the White Sox have so many needs -- catcher at the top of the list -- that they would consider moving Sale."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Gordon Edes: Don't laugh -2015 Giancarlo Stanton & Chris Sale in a Sox uniform? Thoughts?

Sounds good to me!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

BOSTON -- "It's not all wishful thinking. The Red Sox have talked about it in-house, too, which probably is no different than 28 other major league teams.

But after three major moves in the last 23 days -- the trade for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, the trade for outfielder Allen Craig and pitcher Joe Kelly, and the signing of Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo -- the Sox may be better positioned than most to match up with the Miami Marlins should they elect to trade 24-year-old slugger Giancarlo Stanton this winter.

Or, should Boston choose, put together a package for White Sox left-hander Chris Sale. Or -- don't laugh -- perhaps both."

I like the thought but would still rather have Jon back with the addition of either Stanton or Tulo along with Beltre.  Save the cash for pitching alone. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

If Edes says it ... it has to be true.  Heh.

We have to consider what it would actually cost, but it does sound good.  Would it cost more to get Sale than re-signing Lester?

Keep Honking ...

I'm reloading ...   (borrowed from a local bumper sticker)

Go SOX!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

We have to consider what it would actually cost, but it does sound good.  Would it cost more to get Sale than re-signing Lester?

Keep Honking ...

Go SOX!

Gordon Edes:"Sale, ... is signed for a modest $32.5 million through 2017, with club options for 2018 and '19

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

I would trade Bogey, JBJ, Owens, Ranaudo, Betts and Swihart in a NANO SECOND to get them both.  Heck...throw in a few more top ones.  Sign Lester, Sign Han Ram and we're good to go.

Lester, Sale, RDLR, Buch, Kelley

Castillo, Pedroia, Ortiz, Stanton, Cespedes, Han Ram, Napoli, Craig (3b), Vazquez  

NOT TOO SHABBY!

Trade Vic and Nava for some BP help. 

I like it....GM of the year....All hail the king....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Keep Honking ...

Go SOX!

[/QUOTE]

I would love to have a Sox BS like that on my truck right now.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would trade Bogey, JBJ, Owens, Ranaudo, Betts and Swihart in a NANO SECOND to get them both.  Heck...throw in a few more top ones.  Sign Lester, Sign Han Ram and we're good to go.

Castillo, Pedroia, Ortiz, Stanton, Cespedes, Han Ram, Napoli, Craig (3b), Vazquez  

NOT TOO SHABBY!

[/QUOTE]
    Lester Will Not be Coming Back...Period

Always Right.....at least in my mind

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Keep Honking ...

Go SOX!

[/QUOTE]

Gordon Edes:"Sale, ... is signed for a modest $32.5 million through 2017, with club options for 2018 and '19

[/QUOTE]

For that price Sale is not going anywhere. We need to get Stanton; and we need to sign Lester, which I think is likely. We will also need another good SP, perhaps Shields, because our young pitchers are not ready for prime time just yet. Of course, I expect we will NOT get Stanton and while we will sign Lester, we will not obtain another pitcher of note. I have zero faith in our FO to do what it takes to win....none.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To get both:

Cespedes AND/OR Castillo

+

75-90% of the top end prospects, 6-10 players overall.

And I would do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

NOT TOO SHABBY!

[/QUOTE]
    Lester Will Not be Coming Back...Period

Always Right.....at least in my mind

[/QUOT

Id be surprised if Lester resigns here too. Why Hanley Ramirez? I understand he can play SS /3B but he's getting up there in MLB years and always seems to have a nagging injury. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To get both:

Cespedes AND/OR Castillo

+

75-90% of the top end prospects, 6-10 players overall.

And I would do it.

[/QUOTE]

I think Cespedes was traded for, to trade for Stanton. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

No offense, but this is what a beat reporter writes about when his or her team is 17 games below .500 in late August. 

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps

The Red Sox are not the only team that can make competitive offers for these trade targets. In the end the bidding typically comes down to the club that is willing to overpay the most.

Don't laugh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Should be an exciting off season in the hub.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No offense, but this is what a beat reporter writes about when his or her team is 17 games below .500 in late August. 

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps

The Red Sox are not the only team that can make competitive offers for these trade targets. In the end the bidding typically comes down to the club that is willing to overpay the most.

Don't laugh.

[/QUOTE]

No offense taken, but the Marlins are going to be looking for prospects in exchange for Stanton, not expensive veterans. According to at least one ranking the Red Sox rank SECOND in minor league strength (see link below). They are in the elite group (the top five). The other teams in the top five are not going to be paying Stanton what he will demand in terms of a long term contract. While I do not think we will get him this winter, the Red Sox are in perhaps the best position of all to trade for him.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/5/7/5634154/2014-farm-system-rankings

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I honestly think sale would be much more likely than stanton at this point. The need for pitching is there and it sounds like the white sox would actually deal him given that they have tons of needs to fill and we have the players to fill them. I am really doubt that stanton will be available this offseason. I think next offseason would be much more likely. Now, there is one thing that could change that. If the marlins approach him about an extension (which the stated they plan to do this offseason) and he either a) flat out says no he will not sign with them because he doesn’t feel like they are committed to winning or b) says he will only sign for massively large amount which falls above what the marlins would pay to keep him, then the may start listening to offers. Also, to those people who think the sox signed rusney castillo and traded for cespedes with the intention of trading either one of them, you could not be more wrong (especially castillo) They will be a big part of the team going forward. You don’t trade one of those guys to get someone like stanton. By losing one of those 2, you would be negating a significant part of the impact of getting stanton. The goal is to get stronger and better. If we trade for stanton, it will be guys like betts, vasquez etc. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/boston/columns/mlb/story/_/id/11397992/with-rusney-castillo-signed-boston-red-sox-future-full-possibilities-giancarlo-stanton-chris-sale-perhaps

Don't laugh.

[/QUOTE]

No offense taken, but the Marlins are going to be looking for prospects in exchange for Stanton, not expensive veterans. According to at least one ranking the Red Sox rank SECOND in minor league strength (see link below). They are in the elite group (the top five). The other teams in the top five are not going to be paying Stanton what he will demand in terms of a long term contract. While I do not think we will get him this winter, the Red Sox are in perhaps the best position of all to trade for him.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/5/7/5634154/2014-farm-system-rankings" rel="nofollow">http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/5/7/5634154/2014-farm-system-rankings

[/QUOTE]

I disagree about the prospects.

LAST offseason, when the Stanton rumblings started, the entire premise was that the Marlins wanted at least 1 or 2 quality major league talents. At that time, the Sox had 0 that would have been appealing.

The Marlins have moved beyond the 'rotate all stars for AA guys'.

They will want SOME prospects, but there is going to have to be legit ML talent going as well.

Sox now have 3 guys in Craig, Cespedes and Castillo who would be attractive ML talent for different reasons.

Miami was NEVER going to want Lester. Cespedes is someone they MAY be able to retain. He's not getting 20 per, probably more like 15. Miami will invest in a guy or two at that rate, and none better than an exciting Cuban player for that team and city.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

ma6-----I agree--a 2 for 1 and perhaps the Sox send a small amt. of cash in place of prospects. They have to negotiate with Cespy but when you start looking at that deal from a marketing point of view Cespy might make more money doing ads than in baseball salary.

BenC,  needs to get Cishek along with Stanton---that may necessitate a prospect--Workman??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like the thought but would still rather have Jon back with the addition of either Stanton or Tulo along with Beltre.  Save the cash for pitching alone. 

[/QUOTE]

Hey  craze,
    Id run away from Tulo...injured AGAIN (had hip surgery 10 days ago), about to turn 30 in Oct (injuries only get worse and take longer to heal, and he already has a list of them), owed 20M per for the next 5 years, has played just 264 games over the last 3 years (thats an average of under 90 games per year), and has played over 140 only 3 times since his 1st year in 2006. Now, dont get me wrong. When hes on the field hes the best SS in the game. 20M over the next 5 years isnt worth that risk IMO. I agree Stanton would be worth taking that risk for 6+ years and 20M per, just not Tulo. Not at this point in his career and all his injuries/surgeries hes already had.

Honestly, I dont see a trade for Sale happening either, unless they give up Owens, Swihart, and one more top prospect. But Chicago already needs pitching. Besides Sale and Quintana, they have nothing. Giving up Sale would HAVE to include at least a couple top pitchers going back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey  craze,
    Id run away from Tulo...injured AGAIN (had hip surgery 10 days ago), about to turn 30 in Oct (injuries only get worse and take longer to heal, and he already has a list of them), owed 20M per for the next 5 years, has played just 264 games over the last 3 years (thats an average of under 90 games per year), and has played over 140 only 3 times since his 1st year in 2006. Now, dont get me wrong. When hes on the field hes the best SS in the game. 20M over the next 5 years isnt worth that risk IMO. I agree Stanton would be worth taking that risk for 6+ years and 20M per, just not Tulo. Not at this point in his career and all his injuries/surgeries hes already had.

Honestly, I dont see a trade for Sale happening either, unless they give up Owens, Swihart, and one more top prospect. But Chicago already needs pitching. Besides Sale and Quintana, they have nothing. Giving up Sale would HAVE to include at least a couple top pitchers going back.

QUOTE:

What's up southpaw, Tulo is becoming more known as just another fragile superstar with a huge salary so you may be right.  I just hope the Sox don't waste their prospects on pitchers instead of bats.  With pitchers like Max, Jon and Shields out their this is where we should be spending our cash.  Save those prospects and/or veterans for better bats.

[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Marlins are 4 games out of WC, without their best Pitcher. You have to believe they can be contenders next year. I see earliest move next Trade Deadline, if they are out of contention.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Heh!

[QUOTE]

NOT TOO SHABBY!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Big Dreamer!   Might as well dream big!

Sections
Shortcuts