Gordon Edes: Drew could lose his job to Reddick on Friday.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Gordon Edes: Drew could lose his job to Reddick on Friday.

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Drew could lose his job to Reddick on Friday.:
    $146 million to a Left Fielder who bats in the lower half of the order and who has to sit against left handed starting pitching........Did everyone see this coming but the Wonder Boy? I've never been called the "Wonder Boy", so I assume you mean the clown, softy.  I was strongly against the CC signing from even before day one. He's not a good #1 or 3 hitter for this team. I mentioned over and over that the guy is just a "glorified platoon player" due to his career and 2010 sub .700 OPS vs LHPs.  The only reason he wasn't platooned in TB was that they never had anyone better than .700 to platoon him with. We do.
    Posted by moonslav59

Moon,

CC is a lifetime .290 hitter against CC and while I know that you are a proponant of playing the odds and juggling the linup with the left/right platoon and like to use career splits as a means to prove your point. Career splits don't tell the entire story it's about matchups and putting your best lineup on the field that day against the opposing pitcher...Pedrioa who kills lefties was hitting sub .100 against Sabathia entering the year in more than 30 PA. Logic would suggest sitting him, but go ahead try to have him sit in a games vs the yanks..As I recall entering the year you were also a propant of sitting Papi against lefties...To date I'd say he's been holding his own in that catergory it's all about making adjustments. This year Papi vs lefties is staying inside the ball and driving it to left and the result is many of them are finding grass.

I wouldn't be so quick to bury Crawford either, though I too can find fault in signing him, I can also see the upside. The guys a game changing athlete who's struggled early but was showing signs of coming around before he pulled his hamstring...We've yet to see his best, and he way too good to continue his struggles...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah, Drew is in his last days here, but he's going to come up with a big hit or play in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

$146 million to a Left Fielder who bats in the lower half of the order and who has to sit against left handed starting pitching........Did everyone see this coming but the Wonder Boy? I've never been called the "Wonder Boy", so I assume you mean the clown, softy.  I was strongly against the CC signing from even before day one. He's not a good #1 or 3 hitter for this team. I mentioned over and over that the guy is just a "glorified platoon player" due to his career and 2010 sub .700 OPS vs LHPs.  The only reason he wasn't platooned in TB was that they never had anyone better than .700 to platoon him with. We do.
    Posted by moonslav59

i think WONDER BOY refers to theo inepstein.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

" First of all, define "ordinary replacement.""

Replacement level = JD Drew.

"Second, will this ordinary replacement "get hot and carry the team for a month," as is so often claimed about Drew?"

Probably not, but you never know. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Drew's time in CF are about as relevant today as Shea Hillebrand's time behind the plate............
    Posted by andrewmitch

No he obviously could still play center in a pinch.  There isn't a need to make your point with fallacies. Drew stinks this year.  But saying he can only play right and not fill in at left or center is ridiculous.  He has a plus arm and gets a good jump on the ball. He could fill in at all three OF positions.

The problem is he can't hit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Drew hasn't played CF with any frequency or regularity since I believe his Rookie Season which I think was in 1998 when I don't believe he was a day older than 23 years.  I recall he got some late inning action in CF during his FIRST YEAR w/ Boston but that was maybe 3 games, certainly no more than 5.  That was in 2007 and somewhere's around age 30.  Now, in 2011 north of age 35 you are suggesting that he could be your 2nd string CF'er and see 3 starts per MONTH sprinkled in with approximately another 9 innings per month in late innings in CF? 

OK - if you say so.......Ask yourself this - why wasn't Drew used in CF last year when Cameron and Ellsbury were both out of commission?  yeah yeah yeah - other options, he was better served in RF but NOT ONE SINGLE INNING IN CF in a season w/ all those injuries?  Come on man.........We aren't talking about a guy who can't play CF in a rare late inning game or strange scenario - even Scutaro could do that...We are talking about your 2nd CF'er and that well, that ain't never gonna be Drew.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Drew hasn't played CF with any frequency or regularity since I believe his Rookie Season which I think was in 1998 when I don't believe he was a day older than 23 years.  I recall he got some late inning action in CF during his FIRST YEAR w/ Boston but that was maybe 3 games, certainly no more than 5.  That was in 2007 and somewhere's around age 30.  Now, in 2011 north of age 35 you are suggesting that he could be your 2nd string CF'er and see 3 starts per MONTH sprinkled in with approximately another 9 innings per month in late innings in CF?  OK - if you say so.......Ask yourself this - why wasn't Drew used in CF last year when Cameron and Ellsbury were both out of commission?  yeah yeah yeah - other options, he was better served in RF but NOT ONE SINGLE INNING IN CF in a season w/ all those injuries?  Come on man.........We aren't talking about a guy who can't play CF in a rare late inning game or strange scenario - even Scutaro could do that...We are talking about your 2nd CF'er and that well, that ain't never gonna be Drew.....
    Posted by andrewmitch

Are you being serious?  Do you know how to use google?  I already told you that he played 220 games in Center over his career.  and you want to say he hasn't done it with any regularity since 1998?  Look it up for yourself if you need to so you can figure out how you are off by 8 years or so.  The reason he didn't play center last year is because he is the starting right fielder and they had better options in center.  Pretty simple.

Regardless my point was simply that you are saying Drew could not play center or left field.  Like left field would make him all confused or something.

It isn't my fault you wanted to use hyperbole when you didn't need to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

OK, if you want to say that he's plays CF often enough to play it today based on the # of games he's played in the past then go right ahead.  Also, remember, not a single Game in CF last year after their first 2 CF'ers went down.  Not a single inning.  Not one single inning after Jake and Cammy went down.  What does that tell you?

Here you go - Like I said, his Rookie Season he did play CF, Age 23, 97 Games in 1999 - he was a bona fide CF'er.  And then that was it.....Not sure how I was 8 years off but if you want, I can FedEx you my casio?

Ages 24 to 29 he was the back up CF'er.....Since age 30, he hasn't played CF on any sort of back-up basis what so ever.....Age 31 and 32 he's been an emergency CF'er and since Age 33 - not even considered for the job.  What do you think - when corner OF'ers get over 35 there is sudden switch to move them to CF?  Even guys like Vince Coleman, Rickey Henderson and Johnny Damon and Ellis Burks had to be moved OUT of CF as they got older......How many games did Dewey play in CF once he hit 35?  But you keep playing on google until you convince yourself that my #'s are wrong.  Good luck!

YearAgeCF

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And we can only hope that Theo realizes, no matter how many New Age Stats he can come up w/, that using a a guy who can only play one position (a position several others can also play), isn't a HR threat off the bench and isn't a burner to PR off the bench, is a waste of a roster spot. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

OK, if you want to say that he's plays CF often enough to play it today based on the # of games he's played in the past then go right ahead.  Also, remember, not a single Game in CF last year after their first 2 CF'ers went down.  Not a single inning.  Not one single inning after Jake and Cammy went down.  What does that tell you? Here you go - Like I said, his Rookie Season he did play CF, Age 23, 97 Games in 1999 - he was a bona fide CF'er.  And then that was it.....Not sure how I was 8 years off but if you want, I can FedEx you my casio? Ages 24 to 29 he was the back up CF'er.....Since age 30, he hasn't played CF on any sort of back-up basis what so ever.....Age 31 and 32 he's been an emergency CF'er and since Age 33 - not even considered for the job.  What do you think - when corner OF'ers get over 35 there is sudden switch to move them to CF?  Even guys like Vince Coleman, Rickey Henderson and Johnny Damon and Ellis Burks had to be moved OUT of CF as they got older......How many games did Dewey play in CF once he hit 35?  But you keep playing on google until you convince yourself that my #'s are wrong.  Good luck! Year Age CF 1998 22 2 1999 23 97 2000 24 26 2001 25 20 2002 26 6 2003 27 26 2004 28 8 2005 29 30 2006 30 0 2007 31 4 2008 32 1 2009 33 0 2010 34 0 2011 35 0
    Posted by andrewmitch

Your numbers were wrong.  You said he hadn't played Center with any regularity since his rookie year.  You were wrong.

What does "any regularity" mean to you?  Your issue is you use hyperbole and can't back it up.  I've seen you say on here that no team in MLB would want Beckett.  I've seen you say that numerous times.  Until this year you stopped saying it.  WE all get you hate JD Drew. But if you think he wouldn't be a decent back up you are showing your bias.

Regardless.  I think he can play center "in a pinch" because he gets a very good read on balls, gets a good jump and has a strong arm. Do you know what "in a pinch" means? It means in an emergency if someone is injured Drew can play center for a game or two.  Easily.  You got any reasons he can't other than his age?

This argument is ridiculous.  Your whole point was that he can't play center and left.  Why don't you know explain why he can't play left?  I don't even disagree that he should not be DFA'd but to say he can't play left or center is a joke.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

And we can only hope that Theo realizes, no matter how many New Age Stats he can come up w/, that using a a guy who can only play one position (a position several others can also play), isn't a HR threat off the bench and isn't a burner to PR off the bench, is a waste of a roster spot. 
    Posted by andrewmitch

So why can't he play left? Would he get all confused and fall down or something? Once again are you being serious?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Aside from his rookie season, about 20 games a year before the age of 30, or about 6 years ago is not playing w/ any regularity - he was the back up CF'er....5 games over the past 6 seasons and none in the past 3?  I am sorry if you think that providing official stats is not backing it up - amazing!!!!!!   You can spin it anyway you want but he is not a viable guy to even be the back up CF'er.  If he is going to be the 24th or 25th man on the roster, he needs to be more versatle....Where exactly am I losing you here? 

Yeah I know your arguement is that he COULD play there in a pinch.  So could about 8 other guys on the roster.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Drew hasn't played CF "in a pinch" since 2007 and only 4 times.

Are you telling me there wasn't a single inning between 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 where the Sox needed to go beyond their first 2 choices in CF?  IE "in a pinch" ?  Did you not see Ellsbury and Cameron both go down for 90% of the season last year?

I think you are just messing around, I mean, well, what I mean is that I hope that you aren't serious....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

I wouldn't mind hanging on the Drew as a backup for next year, that is of course if he would take a backup role and backup money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Your back up OF'er needs to be able to play all 3 OF positions, potentially long term and without missing a beat defensively.....not just filling in for an inning or 2 here and there in 3 different spots.....

And besides, Drew doesn't want to play.  He's toast.  The only way he'd come back is if you gave him a big bucks - like 2 years/30 million.  Oh boy - I hope Theo didn't just read that!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetesCall. Show PetesCall's posts

Goodbye Mr Drew...don't let the door hit you in the...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

"the Red Sox are employing a player who so far this season has a 0.1 WAR, meaning he has been worth a 10th of one victory more than an ordinary replacement." This statement is a perfect example of what's wrong with the metric manipulation of numbers in baseball. First of all, define "ordinary replacement." Second, will this ordinary replacement "get hot and carry the team for a month," as is so often claimed about Drew? How is the likelihood of that hot streak shown in WAR? Imaginary non-stats like WAR and UZR are no more than abstract, conjectural bs.
    Posted by davetheknave

Exactly!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Drew hasn't played CF "in a pinch" since 2007 and only 4 times. Are you telling me there wasn't a single inning between 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 where the Sox needed to go beyond their first 2 choices in CF?  IE "in a pinch" ?  Did you not see Ellsbury and Cameron both go down for 90% of the season last year? I think you are just messing around, I mean, well, what I mean is that I hope that you aren't serious....
    Posted by andrewmitch

I was thinking the same thing about you.  You have to just be pulling people's chains.   You actually said Scutaro could play center as well as Drew,   You're the one that says an extremely good right fielder can't play left field and cover center if he needs to.  You still haven't explained the left field thing. What was your point on that again?  You think he might run into the wall?  Left is way less challenging than right.  We all know that...except you apparently.

You have an agenda.  I don't. There isnt much point arguing with you about this anymore.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Drew could lose his job to Reddick on Friday. : I was thinking the same thing about you.  You have to just be pulling people's chains.   You actually said Scutaro could play center as well as Drew,   You're the one that says an extremely good right fielder can't play left field and cover center if he needs to.  You still haven't explained the left field thing. What was your point on that again?  You think he might run into the wall?  Left is way less challenging than right.  We all know that...except you apparently. You have an agenda.  I don't. There isnt much point arguing with you about this anymore.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Wow, where to begin

I said Scutaro could play CF "in a pinch" as per your wording and definition of "an emergency" NOT as a regular back up

RE:  Left Field - I never commented on anything regarding Left field - again, all you.......and I certainly never said "that an extremely good right fielder can play left field" - you are completely and totally out of your mind - why don't you go ahead and try and substantiate your claim that I said those things......good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Speaking of Scutaro, he needs to go if anyone does. He plays short like he has cement shoes and throws like a wimp.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well what other choice do we have for SS?  You realize that SS's aren't exactly Theo's strength, right???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Designate Bellsbury for assignment, giving us until the deadline to trade this future Hall of Famer. Give Reddick CF and Drew RF, to see if he can find his stroke. If not, we can all enjoy the benefits of Matt Kemp in RF.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

Designate Bellsbury for assignment, giving us until the deadline to trade this future Hall of Famer. Give Reddick CF and Drew RF, to see if he can find his stroke. If not, we can all enjoy the benefits of Matt Kemp in RF.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw

You have a dream!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

$170 Million Dollar Payroll and not a single bona fide Left Handed Reliever in the Pen.......

Posted by andrewmitch

Well, so what? They've also got the second best record in baseball, so they're doing something right with that $170m.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

Speaking of Scutaro, he needs to go if anyone does. He plays short like he has cement shoes and throws like a wimp.
    Posted by soxdawg08

He's hurt, isn't he?  Anyway, I like Lowrie, if he could only stay healthy...

Sections
Shortcuts