Gordon Edes trying to stir the pot over Agon leaving

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: Gordon Edes trying to stir the pot over Agon leaving

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes trying to stir the pot over Agon leaving:
    [QUOTE]Stirring the pot? Maybe. It's possible that Gonzales asked to be traded. We may never know. Anyone can speculate. In any case, because of this trade, the team has opportunities to improve that didn't exist a week ago. I think that's a good thing. What's done is done. No sense wringing hands over it.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

And because of this trade the team has more reason to improve than existed a week ago.  They now need an excellent fielding, excellent hitting first baseman.  And they have a hole in LF and SP to fill.  And if you think they can fill it with a guy with a good glove, good speed, who hits .280+ on average, think again.  There is little out there in the FA market, and any of their farm players (while deep at OF, most of the best are at least 1-2 seasons away) ready to fill in will be hard pressed to improve on what Crawford had to offer.  Have the Sox ever really replaced what Drew brought to RF?  Point is, for the money, both were overpaid, but that was a necessity of trying to get good all-around production.  Not as easy to get as many here think.  Easy to get a one- or two-dimensional player, but tough (and expensive) to get the whole package.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CA_Sox. Show CA_Sox's posts

[QUOTE]In this case, stirring the pot is inevitable because this massive trade has or could have all kinds of meanings.  I hate losing AGon because he really was the team leader in most important respects.  Great fielder, great hitter, willing to play RF, taught Ortiz the value of hitting to left, etc.  Dingers were/are down and he will always be slow, but overall a big plus.  At the same time Beckett was a problem, a highly paid starter who couldn't or morely would not adjust.  And CC, had he never been injured, was nowhere near worth what he was paid.   So AGon became and is the essential pot sweetener, the guy who can help the Dodgers right now.  And, heck, maybe Beckett can too under a new manager.  Most commentators think the Sox made out on this. The departures of Youk, Shoppach, Beckett, and maybe AGon do, I think, send a message to the team--enough of the whining, already.  Just shut up and play.  Let's face it,  everyone one of the guys traded this year was part of last September's disintegration and this year's lousy season.  In other words, they can't play for Terry Francona, the sweetheart of sigma chi, and they can't play for Bobby V, however you want to describe him.   Edes thinks it's still impossible to re-sign Ells, but I don't.  More importantly, the Sox are in a position now to get a frontline starter, which is the real crux of this trade.  They almost certainly need another good bat and probably need to re-sign Ortiz.   
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

What frontline pitcher are the Sox in line for?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gordon Edes trying to stir the pot over Agon leaving : What frontline pitcher are the Sox in line for?
    Posted by CA_Sox[/QUOTE]

I think his point is that if a top starter becomes available, we now have more prospects to offer and perhaps land him.

Last year Gio Gonzalez was a nice get for the Nats. Maybe this winter we will win the prize.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gordon Edes trying to stir the pot over Agon leaving : And because of this trade the team has more reason to improve than existed a week ago.  They now need an excellent fielding, excellent hitting first baseman.  And they have a hole in LF and SP to fill.  And if you think they can fill it with a guy with a good glove, good speed, who hits .280+ on average, think again.  There is little out there in the FA market, and any of their farm players (while deep at OF, most of the best are at least 1-2 seasons away) ready to fill in will be hard pressed to improve on what Crawford had to offer.  Have the Sox ever really replaced what Drew brought to RF?  Point is, for the money, both were overpaid, but that was a necessity of trying to get good all-around production.  Not as easy to get as many here think.  Easy to get a one- or two-dimensional player, but tough (and expensive) to get the whole package.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

Where did I say either player would be easy to replace?  When I say opportunities I don't mean take the money saved on those contracts and go out and find replacements for those specific players right now today. Talk about putting words in my mouth. When I say opportunities I mean that the  Sox now have a little breathing room. Those two contracts alone were going to handcuff the team for the next 5 years. Something had to give and in order to move Beckett and Crawford and their arguably bad contracts, Gonzalez had to be moved as well. Hopefully now they can begin to re-shape the team into something less dysfunctional (whoever may or may not be at fault aside) than the one we have seen so far this season. I'm not naive enough to think this will happen overnight - or next year - or possibly even the year after, but if the trade didn't happen, then there would be little likelihood that much of any opportunity to improve would exist for far too long a time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gordon Edes trying to stir the pot over Agon leaving : Where did I say either player would be easy to replace?  When I say opportunities I don't mean take the money saved on those contracts and go out and find replacements for those specific players right now today. Talk about putting words in my mouth. When I say opportunities I mean that the  Sox now have a little breathing room. Those two contracts alone were going to handcuff the team for the next 5 years. Something had to give and in order to move Beckett and Crawford and their arguably bad contracts, Gonzalez had to be moved as well. Hopefully now they can begin to re-shape the team into something less dysfunctional (whoever may or may not be at fault aside) than the one we have seen so far this season. I'm not naive enough to think this will happen overnight - or next year - or possibly even the year after, but if the trade didn't happen, then there would be little likelihood that much of any opportunity to improve would exist for far too long a time.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]Well put.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe the Red Sox will win that Lackey price, again. The Red Sox should not be getting involved with "prizes". Develop it or sign the veteran cast-offs to one year contracts.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]That would be my semi annual agreement with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gordon Edes trying to stir the pot over Agon leaving : Well put.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

Thank you, carnie.

Sections
Shortcuts