Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go:
    In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go : YOUR INFERENCE WAS HE GOT HURT JUST ROUNDING AND PULLING UP AT THIRD.....IT WAS AN AGGREGATION OF AN EXISTING INJURY. DIFFERENCE, NO??
    Posted by J-BAY

I get your point but there is no difference.  My point is he's a young man, just got called up, and already we can't really rely on him. 

I pulled my hammy, once - ONCE.  It is painful and takes a long time to heal.  However, I was stupid and didn't stretch.  Since that time I had always stretched and never again pulled my hammy.....I'm just saying....we are talking about replacing Youk b/c he is too injury prone but what are we replacing him with?  Right now, I ain't exactly seeing an IRON MAN out of Old Man Will........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

If I did anything I'd put Youk in left field-NOT Middlebrooks.  Youk has played a time or 2 in left, he can't take the beating of 3rd base.  See what he can do in the outfield.
    Posted by jarretfromportsmouth

have you ever seen Youklis play left field? Not pretty. Besides there's a guy named crawford who will eventually take that position back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Is Youk still elite?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go : have you ever seen Youklis play left field? Not pretty. Besides there's a guy named crawford who will eventually take that position back.
    Posted by pri360

I agree Youk is not an outfielder but I think it's unfair to compare him to Crawford.  Crawford is an absolute butcher out there.  Watching him try and get under fly balls last year was like watching Timmy Lupus and praying he wouldn't take one off the noggin!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go : I get your point but there is no difference.  My point is he's a young man, just got called up, and already we can't really rely on him.  I pulled my hammy, once - ONCE.  It is painful and takes a long time to heal.  However, I was stupid and didn't stretch.  Since that time I had always stretched and never again pulled my hammy.....I'm just saying....we are talking about replacing Youk b/c he is too injury prone but what are we replacing him with?  Right now, I ain't exactly seeing an IRON MAN out of Old Man Will........
    Posted by andrewmitch

Too soon to make that assessment Andrew. regardless, reportedly, it was precautionary and he will play tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go : I agree Youk is not an outfielder but I think it's unfair to compare him to Crawford.  Crawford is an absolute butcher out there.  Watching him try and get under fly balls last year was like watching Timmy Lupus and praying he wouldn't take one off the noggin!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch
    don't mean that mitch, youklis can serve other roles (1B, DH) - there's no other place for crawford excpet LF; doesn't even have the arm for RF. I was surprised when I saw him (crawford) play last year in LF too; I thought he was better than that; ....maybe its the wall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Youkilis is NOT the problem

The problem is the starting pitching - especially Buchholtz and Carl "The Butcher" Crawford and his enormous contract

If Buck was pitching like 2010 and if we used the Crawford money elsewhere - like perhaps retaining Papelbon as one example we would be right in the thick of things..........(Paps would have a trickle down affect eg Albiers wouldn't have been pitching with the game on the line in late innings last night).....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how about waiting for the deadline so that teams will be willing to give up more for him, he gets healthier, and WMB plays a while before we deal KY....why trade him now? what if WM gets hurt....and who wants youk right now anyways?
    dumb

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

GEO - the sooner you put them on the block the more you will get for them.  As long as you are willing to be patient.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Wow such ugliness surrounds this team everyday.  When will it end.  I like the Sox but it is turning me off the way this team s playing and acting.  Something big needs to happen to turn this around.  Whoever the bad apples are need to go ASAP.  It could be like the Nomar situation.  Trade the bad eggs and play on because obviously this team is not going to win as assembled. I would like to know who the true bad eggs are but only guys like Tito, Ben and Valentine know this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes: Why Youkilis has to go : YOUR INFERENCE WAS HE GOT HURT JUST ROUNDING AND PULLING UP AT THIRD.....IT WAS AN AGGREGATION OF AN EXISTING INJURY. DIFFERENCE, NO??
    Posted by J-BAY

Dont see much of one since both are not able to play?  Hamstrings can be a recurring problems with some body types... look at Beltre... I believe he has been on the DL quite a few times for this..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

What? The new kids not bee through the league yet. Nobodies got any tape on him yet. Give him a couple of months so we can see how he responds to teams that learned his zone. Might be a different story.

Yuk, knows the ropes, he's a productive hitter, two months from Yuk's hitting 290+ either here or somewhere else. Keep his bat here. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

J-BAY don't question Andrewmitch he knows everything. He's right Iron Man Middlebrooks is always hurt and soon Andrewmitch will be questioning his heart. After that he will blame Theo for not trading Middlebrooks for King Felix. AndrewMitch did have a great idea of trading Agon and moving Youk to 1st base because I keep thinking to myself I'd love to have a .200 hitter at 1B, plus most teams would have no issue picking up his 22 million a year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Youkilis is not tradeable, that's the problem. At this point, I would be very hesitant as a MLB team to acquire Youkilis unless I knew he could play for an extended period. But he's proven that in the last 3 years, he's falling apart physically, which I think was aggravated by his move from 1b to 3b. At the same time, MiddleFosterBrooks, who has resembled Jason Bay, the early Sox edition, has gotten hurt, and we don't know if this is going to be recurring (I agree that hamstrings are the worst). Just bring Youkilis back and let him play a bit, and see what happens. If he plays well, and MiddletonNiftyBrooks heals up and is ready to play or continues to hammer the ball when he is in the lineup, it's a win-win. Youkilis then becomes trade bait. No need to hurry Youks out of town right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I never thought we needed a first basemen. I think third base is killing Youk. It's a shame. Nothing against Agon. But we have him now, and I don't think they're giving him back. I just wonder what the thought process was when he was acquired. I'm wondering if Adrian is feeling the same way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox do need an OF, but don't move Middlebrooks there.

The Sox have an excess of 3B and need an OF.  The Angels have an excess of OF and need a 3B.

Surely something can be worked out...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In the end the it comes down to but a few factors when the thought of trading Youkilis is bantered about...

1) Once healthy is the team better served in 2012 with or without him in the lineup?

2) If healthy and he finishes the season strong and hit's to the back of his baseball card (career 900 OPS). Is he part of the plan for the 2013 roster (13M team option)?

If the answers to both questions is no. Then he's likely to be moved to make room for young Middlebrooks. The question then becomes how quickly can he get back in the lineup to show he's ready to compete. Determaning his value is incumbent on him showing himself ready to play and hitting to his career norms...that Youkilis is the guy we've missed since July of last year. If he is indeed healthy and produces to his career norms then he's a barbain @ 13M...

The final pieces of the puzzle are Middlebrooks and Papi (also a FA after this year)...

The question for Cherington and Valentine is has Middlebrooks showed enough to warrant opening up the every day 3B job for now and in the future? if the answer to that questions is yes. Youk days are numbered as our everyday thirdbaseman, though he might not be traded, if he shows himelf healthy and productive. Youk could factor into the teams plans in 2013 as the primary DH...if they choose to let Papi walk or perhaps even trade him, if we're out of the race come July 4th.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

You are an idiot if you want to send this kid back to the pawsox. If you cannot see a trend with youk's injuries, then you really should be blogging about golf.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Edes is such a weenie. I said to trade Youk, even though I like him, before the season started. I said Middlebrooks should be on active roster, with Lavarnway and Iglesias. I also said to send Salty to AAA with his last option.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr

Agree. Bring up Lavarnway and Iglesias and lets see what they can do on fulltime basis at this level. What does this team have to lose -  the losing record? I know injuries have been a big part of this teams problems, but this team needs some life, something that young players bring, that Middlebrooks has started to bring. Need More!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

..and can EASILY sign Ellsbury to a big extension (7 years/147 million or "a tick more than Crawford").... It at least needs to be explored...

Ellsbury will not re-sign here. He wants out of here so badly, it's not even funny. 

He should be traded this winter, unless the return is not equal to the comp picks we'd get for him plus 1 year of "contract year" play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Granite2000. Show Granite2000's posts

Somehow, we have a very, very fragile team. Most everyone of value gets hurt, is hurt, or is thinking about being hurt. But not hurt enough to cancel golf.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

..and can EASILY sign Ellsbury to a big extension (7 years/147 million or "a tick more than Crawford").... It at least needs to be explored... Ellsbury will not re-sign here. He wants out of here so badly, it's not even funny.  He should be traded this winter, unless the return is not equal to the comp picks we'd get for him plus 1 year of "contract year" play.
    Posted by moonslav59

How do you know Ells wants out?  If it's true then the minute he gets back into the line up and shows he's healed he should be put on the trade block.  And if it is true it has to be the toxic clubhouse.  I would actually fix the root cause and clean house on the toxicity and then maybe Jake would want to stay; because if Ells feels this way then so do others....

Sections
Shortcuts