Gordon Edes:ominous signs that a worst-case scenario is developing for SaltalamacchiaAlso Gammons's/Abraham's thoughts-Federowicz? trade?-What’s your solution?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Gordon Edes:ominous signs that a worst-case scenario is developing for SaltalamacchiaAlso Gammons's/Abraham's thoughts-Fe...

I think the problem with Salty is more about how he frames a pitch for the pitcher, than the pitch he calls.  And the alarming thing about Salty isn't just that his hitting has been puny so far.  He actually had an important hit the other day, whereas Varitek has had none.  But Salty seems to be having issues throwing the ball.  That issue is one he has had in the past, and the Sox hoped they had fixed.  Apparently not, and that is a big deal. 

Whether he hits in time or not, the reason for finding another catcher will be whether Salty's throwing problems get worse, as they look to be doing as of right now, and whether pitchers can see more positive results with him catching.  Cannot escape the fact that the team is 2-9 with Salty starting at catcher.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Gordon Edes:ominous signs that a worst-case scenario is developing for SaltalamacchiaAlso Gammons's/Abraham's thoughts-Fe...

I'm out of the loop ... what's the throwing problem?  I know about his history and I heard there was one mis-throw with Lackey (don't know how bad it was).  Have there been other throwing issues?  Have there been other defensive issues other than people suspecting he is a problem because our pitchers have pretty much sucked until the last round of the rotation?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The storm clouds will either lift or burst IMO when it comes to Salty.

From all outward appearances (the throwing issues) he is guy that can get pretty tightly wrapped up mentally. He is a guy who was once the top catching prospect in all of baseball. Many here wanted to trade Clay Buchholz for him after 2008 season. His trade from Atlanta to Texas was non-event as he was traded for Texieria, but his trade to the RS signaled his career was in danger of never happening as he had dreamed and so many forecast.

He has been made the number 1 catcher for the prohibitive AL favorites, who have a star studded line-up, a veteran group of pitchers and a $170M payroll.

Fast forward: The team gets off to a collectively horrid start. He is no exception. When he is catching either the starters or the bullpen seem to implode. At the plate he is showing no discipline, chasing terrible pitches. Any comparison to Varitek's offense is IMO a waste of time. Nobody except a small group of Tekkies thinks Jason Varitek can be the number 1 or even the 1-B" catcher over a 162 game season, so the fact that his bat looks 39 years old slow to start the season means little. And over the last week or so the catcher has started to look defensively poor and there are signs that his mental block making a 70 foot throw back to the pitcher may be rearing its ugly head again.

So it is no wonder that the kid becomes a focal point IMO. The way the team has gone it is hard to "hide" his weaknesses and as the team scuffled those weaknesses have tended to in fact be magnified. The RS FO had to know that this was a bold gamble and with a $170M payroll how long can either the manager or the GM play through it?

These are the reasons IMO that Salty has become an "issue". Now a few more wins, a couple solid 9 innings of pitching while he is the receiver, a few good ABs and he may well relax and this early panic may subside. But a few more games where either the bullpen or the starters implode while he is catching, some shabby play behind the plate and continued expansion of the KZone while hitting and I think the RS join the panic and make a change.

$170M in payroll is too much money spent in a season to jeopardize that season on riding it out with Jared Saltalamacchia in one of the most key roles on a baseball team. And his swapping roles with Tek for more than a few weeks just isn't realistic either. The situation probably would feel quite different if the RS had a younger back-up right now.

So while it certainly looks like and feels like "blood in the water" and may well be, it is quite real and understandable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

There are five veiws: My take only...

1: Management-Theo have faith in this guy for the last few years...

2: Pitchers-some of the Sox dont feel comfortable with this guy...may not be his fault as V-Tek was so good.

3: His teamates may think the guy stinks

4: Most importantely, ya sure is what the Nation thinks...

5: Combination of all 4...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from odessagolfer. Show odessagolfer's posts

I think that it's time for the Red Sox to look elsewhere for a new Catcher.  Salty may have potential, but he has yet to show it, anywhere. He looks totally lost at the plate and I think that's having an adverse impact on his defense. 

He has airmailed at least 3 throws that I have seen and several others to the wrong side of the bag and his release is not quick at all.

I found 6 guys in other organizations that are all young and inexperienced. However, with Varitek as a teacher and as long as they know they really can't be worse than what we currently have, maybe, just maybe, we find someone who just needed a chance in the bigs.  All of these guys have hit well, even in the lower leagues.  They appear to be better defensively than either Tek or Salty and most are with teams that can use some of the players we could offer, to help them now.

William Myers - KC - AA.  He has hit well since being signed and has strong defensive skills.

Yasmani Grandol - Rangers - AA.  Good hit, power, and strong defensive skills.

Derek Norris - Nats - AA.  Young, strong, strikes out a lot, but has huge defensive upside.

Tony Sanchez - Pirates - AA.  The Pirates need everything so this kid who may be their top prospect could be had.

Wilin Rosario - Rockies - AA.  Strong hitter and excellent defense.

Craig Tatum - Orioles - AAA.  A little older and more established.  The Orioles have Wieters and he is their future Catcher.  This kid may have some wiggle room to get out and learn from Tek how to handle our staff.  I like this kid a lot.

Just my thoughts!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now Harness's CERA, which I have alternately cursed and endorsed, makes Saltamacchia look pretty awful--I think it's over 7 vs. over 2, almost three times worst, which is a lot. 

I am clueless about the solution. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

no reason to panic with saltalamacchia just yet.  he has only played about 10 games.

the entire team got off to a terrible start.  let's not blame the new catcher for youkilis just now getting his average over .200 or crawford still down below the mendoza line or buckholtz already yielding so many home runds or reyes letting every other batter reach base. 

please don't blame him for calling for bad pitches.  if he cannot call for a pitch after going through the meetings mentioned above the sox can go with the same approach the angels use when their manager calls every pitch if necessary.

have some confidence that the kid will be able to relax enough to play better sooner rather than later.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Gordon Edes:ominous signs that a worst-case scenario is developing for SaltalamacchiaAlso Gammons's/Abraham's thoughts-Federowicz? trade?-What’s your solution?:
    [QUOTE]I think that it's time for the Red Sox to look elsewhere for a new Catcher.  Salty may have potential, but he has yet to show it, anywhere. He looks totally lost at the plate and I think that's having an adverse impact on his defense.  He has airmailed at least 3 throws that I have seen and several others to the wrong side of the bag and his release is not quick at all. I found 6 guys in other organizations that are all young and inexperienced. However, with Varitek as a teacher and as long as they know they really can't be worse than what we currently have, maybe, just maybe, we find someone who just needed a chance in the bigs.  All of these guys have hit well, even in the lower leagues.  They appear to be better defensively than either Tek or Salty and most are with teams that can use some of the players we could offer, to help them now. William Myers - KC - AA.  He has hit well since being signed and has strong defensive skills.
    Posted by odessagolfer[/QUOTE]
    The Kansas City Royals have moved Wil Myers to the outfield:

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/28/2617602/royals-moving-prospect-wil-myers.html

The Red Sox would need to pay a steep price for the 20-year-old Myers, who ranks 10th on Baseball America's current Top 100 prospect list:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/2011/2611328.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

Teams don't deal significant players until June - July.    Good catching is not easy to come by and other teams are aware that the catching problem is a soft spot with the Sox so they can demand more than the front office is willing to part with.
    Also, it will take another catcher time to learn the entire pitching staff of the Sox.
    It may be sink or swim with Saltalamaccia and hope not to burn out Varitek before September.