Got our wish--Bogaerts at SS makes a crucial error

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Got our wish--Bogaerts at SS makes a crucial error

Tonight we saw exactly why Middlebrooks has stayed on the bench.  Bogaerts isn't just a rookie SS, he is a very inexperienced one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Got our wish--Bogaerts at SS makes a crucial error

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Tonight we saw exactly why Middlebrooks has stayed on the bench.  Bogaerts isn't just a rookie SS, he is a very inexperienced one.

And he just got the game tying hit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

And he just got the game tying hit. 

Which would have been a go-ahead hit had he stayed at 3B

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

No doubt that pinch-hitting for Drew against the lefty was the right move.  Still, the combo of Bogey and Middy showed why you want to avoid having them both out there covering the left side of the infield.  Unfortunately, the ball and the action found these two tonight and the results were not good.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's even less experienced at 3B, but point well taken.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

I'm just thankful he's playing, anywhere. We wouldn't have even been in this game without his bat.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Xander didn't make an error according to the BoxScore--Ells and WMB made errors.

Xander had a tough play that was ruled a hit by Carpenter.

Questionnable whether Drew makes the play--Iggy probably makes the play.

I was surprised they gave the error to WMB (WMB got the error for interference) and not Salty for the throw (I do realize you can't anticipate a double play) that play led to the interference call on WMB.

You have to give the Sox credit for clawing back. It's 2-1---the Cards can't afford to let their guard down---one win in the next two games and it returns to Boston.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

And it wasn't an error. He would have been safe regardless. You could say if Papi isn't at first base, the guy is out because Napoli scoops the easy scoop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Bogie is better at 3B than WMB at 3B.  Bogie would have prevented the 2 run triple by Holliday that WMB barely got to with his gloves.

Drew is better at SS than Bogie at SS.  Drew would have nailed the lead off batter with a better throw to Papi.

If defense is important, Drew has to be at SS, and Bogie at 3B.  Too bad Drew's struggles with his bat has made him vulnerable to getting PH for the pitcher in an NL park.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

iT ALL STARTS WITH THE CATCHER.......  David Ross should be the starter the rest of the way.....  Salty is not the take charge guy for both the pitchers & fielders......  Just saying !!

Bill..I think it's a pretty safe bet that we see Ross for the rest of the series.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to gibsonsg's comment:

I'm just thankful he's playing, anywhere. We wouldn't have even been in this game without his bat.

seems there other overlooked his plate production tonight, he more than made up for the errant throw.

You just don't get it.  Bogaerts was already in the lineup before he was moved to SS.  The mistake wasn't in playing him, but in moving him to SS so Middlebrooks could botch plays and go hitless at 3B.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think it's all pretty obvious--

• Bogaerts stays in the lineup because of his bat.
    • Nava the same in LF, plus he is a better fielder than Gomes.
    • Ross takes over at C because Salty can't throw runners out, ain't hitting, strikes out too much, and lacks fundamental situation awareness.  The throw to 3B was a bonehead play as soon as he released the ball. 
    • Drew gets the nod over Middlebrooks because neither is hitting but Drew is fielding well at a critical defensive spot, SS. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to gibsonsg's comment:

You are so right !! People only look at negative side and try to run with it . You know bi..tch  moan and complain....... Yes without his bat  bingo !! Where would they be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

No doubt there are some options.

Against pitchers that throw hard or are very accurate----watch the batters eyes--WMB, Salty, and Nap when in there waive at the ball--little or no see the ball hit the ball philosophy exhibited.

I love our TEAM but when opposing pitchers are in the strikezone I want batters that make contact.

I don't fault JF for not batting Nap---nobody on--he's a K waiting to happen--I don't disagree he would have been a better choice than Workman.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

No doubt that pinch-hitting for Drew against the lefty was the right move. 

Actually, I have a lot of doubts about that.  Had he done this in the 9th or extra innings, I would probably still disagree, but to do so in the 7th doesn't make sense to me.  You're giving away 3 innings of poorer fielding for what amounts to a minimal upgrade for one AB.

Then when the 9th rolls around, whatever minimal upgrade you got against a lefty, you give right back against Rosenthal.  So, over two ABs, you've gained no net offensive advantage, and lost defense for 3 innings.

I think it started off badly, and then got worse.  Because after he PH for Drew, he went all-in by PHing for Doubront.  He should left Drew and Doubront in, and waited one more rotation to start mixing and matching.  I hate to say it, but he way over-managed last night.

Sections
Shortcuts