Gotta give Lackey Props!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Gotta give Lackey Props!

I know he can be a jerk, but the guy is a fierce competitor and I gained a lot of respect for him last night as he beat it down the line to make his last AB close at 1B.
    He pitched well enough to get a win but our offense let him down and even though Franklin got Howrd to fly out (to the track), I think Francona pulling him after only 90 pitches and having struck Howard out twice, was the wrong move.
    He deserved a chance to get a win had the RS scored in the 9th.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Gotta give Lackey Props!

In Response to Gotta give Lackey Props!:
    I know he can be a jerk, but the guy is a fierce competitor and I gained a lot of respect for him last night as he beat it down the line to make his last AB close at 1B. He pitched well enough to get a win but our offense let him down and even though Franklin got Howrd to fly out (to the track), I think Francona pulling him after only 90 pitches and having struck Howard out twice, was the wrong move. He deserved a chance to get a win had the RS scored in the 9th.
    Posted by Alibiike

I agree, Lackey pitched well I after the first two innings but this can't happen every three starts, he needs to be more consistent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Gotta give Lackey Props!:
    In Response to Gotta give Lackey Props! : I agree, Lackey pitched well I after the first two innings but this can't happen every three starts, he needs to be more consistent.
    Posted by craze4sox

True. In fairness though to his loss to SD, the HP umpire was squeezing him big time. Not an excuse, but Lackey tends to get frustrated with those calls and loses focus.
    He does lack maturity in the face of adversity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Gotta give Lackey Props! : True. In fairness though to his loss to SD, the HP umpire was squeezing him big time. Not an excuse, but Lackey tends to get frustrated with those calls and loses focus. He does lack maturity in the face of adversity.
    Posted by Alibiike

Big time Alibiike, a lot like David Price and Beckett at times. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Good OP and thread, AL ...

I do agree that he oughta be able to control  his emotions ...when he misses those close pitches.

One game I watched, he was cooked by a close call against him in the first inning.  Never got over it ... and then the other pitcher SEEMED to be getting the same call favorably  (used the K-Zone to check, the announcing team)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'll admit I thought Lackey was going to throw a stinker last night,but was pleasantly surprised by his outing.He showed the kind of determination and grit that Theo signed him for.He pitched far above my expectations for him.
       He doesn't handle a controversial play or call very well and is demonstrative in his reactions at time.He can be his own worst enemy when he allows his emotions to take over.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lackey was decent last year and this yr he is struggling - but thats no reason to throw him under the bus - pitchers dont grow on trees and he is more than capable of turning it around...nice thread/well deserved props to JL

even though we lost last night we played hard and gave it our best shot against the best team in baseball...we will see them again methinks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

What is this line about Lackey being a "fierce competitor". I hear it weekly it seems. The guys a 5th starter and this year belongs in AAA. One good game and suddenly hes the falvor of the month. Guess what if i was getting $80m id be a fierce competitor. And what exactly does that mean, when hes giving up his 5 runs over 6 inning he keeps pitching. Hes 5-7 on a team thats 45-34 and he has an ERA of 6.81!!!!!

Put together 20 more games like last night and he'll be earning him wages. Fierce competitor me arrse. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Here we go.... all is okay with Lackey now. None of you and I mean NONE of you speak ill of him again... I on the other hand still stand my  opinion of him pre-2010 - he is terrible.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Not sure about being a fierce competitor, but he did pitch well yesterday and helped out with his bat, so kudos to him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Great game, no question.  That game-winning dinger was golfed into the stands off of a low curve. 

Both he and Beckett look more comfortable at the plate than J.D. Drew or Mike Cameron. 

He didn't want to come out for that last out in the 8th, but Francona made the right move. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

yeah yah yah.... he gives you one very good game in 10 and absolutely sux the rest of the time... and you panzies line up with the happy bull.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

He definitely played with fire yesterday....even when they got the first run, he was fuming....and look determined to shut them down.....looks like he is tired of hearing he is a signing bust. His pitching well keeps him in the rotation,,,,and I know it is not ideal, but with his elbow....Bucholz' injury....Becketts recent sickness....using a six man rotation for turn or two and giving everyone an extra day might be the way to go. After that you will know whether Lackey is hurting...Bucholz injury is still lingering....Miller is consistent and/or if Wake is still pitching well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

there's no doubt that SLACKEY does well against weak hitting line-ups like the phillies.
    unfortunately, good hitting line-ups eat him for lunch.
    in other words, don't get your hopes up.

however, SLACKEY appears to be a better hitter than cameron, mcdonald, and drew.
    again, nice job theo!

"no bad signing goes unpunished."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I agree in full - Lackey is tired of hearing about the contract, he will be everything you dreamed of going forward.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Hey Burrito----relax and chill out.

No, Lackey hasn't redeemed himself yet. But last night he DID pitch pretty darn well after first inning, didn't fall apart after men got on base.

And maybe he should be emergency hitter in outfield; he looked way better than Cameron or D-Mac.
    Give credit where it's due, man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Credit for what? A good game? The key word being "a"... not lotts or many, just "a".  You can have him on your team if you want, I'd rather not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

yeah yah yah.... he gives you one very good game in 10 and absolutely sux the rest of the time... and you panzies line up with the happy bull.
    Posted by BurritoT

Actually, he had three quality starts before going on the DL.  When he came back, his first three starts were decent.  The fourth game implosion was almost certainly caused by rain. 

More than that, he was throwing pretty good stuff last night. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think Lackey will be fine...if he is healthy.....yes he is being overpaid......but he is what he is....he never was a staff ace type pitcher....but on this team he isa 4 or a 5....and as that he will be more than adequate....maybe you don;t want him on your team Burrito, but I would be the Yankees would take him in a heartbeat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

QS is a lame start, sort of like a Hold.... 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

He had a cortisone  shot   a month ago  ,,   has been up and down since.. but was amazed at the look he shot for being lifted  in the 8th..

If Francona  had  stuck with him  and the game  became   3 or  4 -1  we'd be all over Terry today  for not using the hook.

You had a good night    ,, build on that John...  move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from YAZZER. Show YAZZER's posts

i agree with burrito, i would rather not have SLACKEY.
    i disagree with tomnev, the yank-ems would not pick him up in a heartbeat, unless he was paid the league minimum.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dstreet451. Show dstreet451's posts

No you don't.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thee-yazzer. Show thee-yazzer's posts

i agree with burrito, i'd rather not have SLACKEY.
    i disagree with tomnev, the yank-ems wouldn't pick him up in a heartbeat unless he was paid league minimum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

One decent outing is so not going to change my mind regarding Lackey's body of work, his locker room attitude, his crying at the umps, his being a bad team mate and is horrible with the press. He would have to bring his ERA under four, win 75% of his remaining outings, stop the moaning and groaning for the remainder of the season for me to come close to giving him a break. He was a mistake and he will prove that agiain very, very soon.

Sections
Shortcuts