Grade Yourself - Predictions 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Grade Yourself - Predictions 2013

Season record - I predicted .500 /correct about improving but way off on wins/D+

Napoli - I liked the original signing but hated the extended contract talks and thought they shoudlve dumped him/D

Shane V - I liked him and though he still had some spark left to help the team/B

Drew/Iggy - I was right about Iggy being a stud even without MLB experience when most disagreed, I was wrong about Drew for the last half the season (A & D) = C

Dempster - I liked him and thought he would be good (C-)

Manager JF - I was hesitant at first with Ben's obsession to sign him but came around quickly when I realized he would be a very good counterpoint to the Valentine managing massacre of 2012 (B)

Papi - I was the most vocal about getting him resigned and had total confidence in his abilities, unlike some folks named Bill/ A

Lackey - I had hope for him upon seeing his fitness work...not exactly a prediction of any sort but hey i wasnt cursing the guy / B

Gomes -  I had no use for this guy because of Ross/Nava - turned out pretty good and I pretty wrong....intangibles do matter - D

Ben Cherington - see Gomes grade - D for getting it mostly wrong about chemistry moves

OVERALL - appro/C- when dividing grades by 10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Grade Yourself - Predictions 2013

I predicted:

84-78 with average luck on injuries/performance

90-72 with good luck

78-84 with bad luck

On all Ben's offseason moves I said wait and see, with one exception, I was big on the Napoli acquisition.

Frankly I don't even merit a grade.  I'm a wait and see kind of guy, especially with baseball, which is a very difficult game to forecast.

I do like the post, geo.  You can be quite negative sometimes but you're a pretty honest guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I always go with the tradional "in spring, a young mans fancy turns to baseball" !!!   With that I always start the season thinking that we are "going all the way" !!!  See you @ the World Series !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

My off season predictions

Red Sox = 90 wins B not many saw possible best record in MLB 

Drew / Victorino = was totally thumbs up and took a lot of slack from many here A

Gomes / Ross / Dempster = thought these were good signs and would bring a great attitude to team A

Ben C = thought he made a bunch of great moves that would change the attitude of clubhouse that was toxic in 2012

Think if RS taught us anything this year the clubhouse can be as important as the talent on the field. Give Ben much credit for this. While I thought RS could compete for a WC never thought we would be talking best record this late, and I'm an optimist! Even if RS were to lose 1st round this was still a very successful season with a very bright future. Overall grade = B 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I predicted:

84-78 with average luck on injuries/performance

90-72 with good luck

78-84 with bad luck

On all Ben's offseason moves I said wait and see, with one exception, I was big on the Napoli acquisition.

Frankly I don't even merit a grade.  I'm a wait and see kind of guy, especially with baseball, which is a very difficult game to forecast.

I do like the post, geo.  You can be quite negative sometimes but you're a pretty honest guy.

thanks HF - no sense trying to hide it - My opinions are pretty strong but I am honest and admit mistakes...of course in a happy way 2013 (unlike 2011 when I predicted 101 wins)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'll give myself a B.  I predicted 89 wins, and predicted 1st with not a lot of conviction.  The issue was always going to be that, in the ALE, we figured to have 5 teams .500 or better, with maybe 4 teams winning ~ 90.  If any team missed 1st, they could easily miss the playoffs.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i predicted 86-90 wins (88 wins with a 2 game swing).

right about drew, wrong about iggy

right about Dempster (liked the signing due to the uncertainty of our rotation but he's given us just about what i thought he would. #5 production)

half right w/ Naps. I knew his defense would be ok (who knew he would top the list @ 1Bman UZR.... just goes to show that 1Bman is the easiest position to play defensively)

ShaVic - nailed it.

wrong on the JH trade.

JBJ - to my dismay, i was right about him not being ready for the big time.

Nava/gomes - i was optimistic but both of these guys have done better than i projected.

WMB - not sure how to score this one.... he was dreadful and now has reversed it so i guess i'll call it a wash.

Salty - i said i nthe offseason that if he could cut down on his Ks and increase his OBP he would be one of the best catchers in the game. He has done that this year and is a top 10 catcher IMO.

Ells - while he has fallen  well short of my 20HR projection but he is still jacoby producing like jacoby. he will win another GG this year, he is still the best leadoff guy in the game and still helps every guy batting behind him.

Uehara - i loved this signing. Uehara has arguably been the best reliever in MLB since coming state side. his 2013 season solidifies that statement.

Tazawa - while i didn't expect him to replicate his 2012 season he's come close. definitely not a disappointment Taz has been extremely solid for our team despite some people claiming he is not good. Maybe if you compare him to the unhuman Uehara he is not good. but almost every team in the MLB would love to have Taz as a major player in their BP. you can bank on that.

Farrell - everythnig i thought he would be and then some. he's really taken control of the clubhouse and has managed this team extremely well.

did i miss anything?

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Season record - I predicted .500 /correct about improving but way off on wins/D+

I predicted "about" 81 wins. So far we have 91 wins, which is "about" 81 (off by only one digit). I give myself an A. Hey-I wasn't that far off, right?

Napoli - I liked the original signing but hated the extended contract talks and thought they shoudlve dumped him/D

I liked the Napoli signing and after a lot of grief that I gave him during his slump, it turns out I was right about him. I give myself an A.

Shane V - I liked him and though he still had some spark left to help the team/B

I liked the Victorino signing EXCEPT that I thought it was for one year too long, making it a bad deal. Therefore, I am giving myself an incomplete. If he does well in year 3 then I will fail myself and assign an F.

Drew/Iggy - I was right about Iggy being a stud even without MLB experience when most disagreed, I was wrong about Drew for the last half the season (A & D) = C

I thought the Drew signing was a good one because I thought (and still think) that Iggy will end up too weak a hitter to play for us despite his defensive wizardry. Drew was always a short term investment until our young SS were ready. Grade: A

Dempster - I liked him and thought he would be good (C-)

I didn't like Dumpster then; I like him even less now. I predicted an ERA around 5; its 4.71 as of this morning. Grade: A for me; F for Dumpster.

Manager JF - I was hesitant at first with Ben's obsession to sign him but came around quickly when I realized he would be a very good counterpoint to the Valentine managing massacre of 2012 (B)

I thought Farrell was a good choice then and despite some tactical and strategic mistakes, overall he has done an excellent job. Grade: A

Papi - I was the most vocal about getting him resigned and had total confidence in his abilities, unlike some folks named Bill/ A

Because of his production in 2012 (.318/1.026) I believed before the season started that he would continue to be productive, and he has. This one was easy. Grade: A

Lackey - I had hope for him upon seeing his fitness work...not exactly a prediction of any sort but hey i wasnt cursing the guy / B

I thought Lackey would do better than during his last season pitching in 2011, but not this good. I thought an ERA around 4.20 or so was to be expected. He has fortunately performed much better than that, so I give myself a C.

Gomes -  I had no use for this guy because of Ross/Nava - turned out pretty good and I pretty wrong....intangibles do matter - D

I am abstaining on Gomes because I had no predictions about him at all. I didn't think he would be a huge part of the team; he isn't, for the most part. He is a platoon player who has had some good moments, to be sure, but he is not a major reason we are at 91 wins when compared to some other guys.

Ben Cherington - see Gomes grade - D for getting it mostly wrong about chemistry moves

I had a "show me" prediction about Cherington, so there is no grade assignment here either. He has, obviously, pressed the right buttons so far. I didn't have any idea whether he would be successful or not.

One more: Lester. He has done MUCH better than I expected, especially after Aug 1. I still don't see him as an Ace, but a good #2-3 SP. Because I was wrong about his performance this year, I have to accept a D here.

OVERALL - appro/C- when dividing grades by 10

My overall Grade: B+, because I was more willing to go out on a limb and actually predict some numbers than Breidey and so I deserve a better grade, no matter what his opinion is. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Softy, Mike Carp says hello.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Hello to 9 HR and 38 RBI's.

Yes, in 50 starts!

Did you know that?

Or that he has a .927 OPS?

You're amazing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

On my annual pre-season predictipn thread, I had the Sox fifth in the AL East. The commentary was that they alays finish worse than I predict, and this way either they would wrap around and win the AL East, or drop down and take the AL Central.

How do you grade that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

I said they could be 93-69 from 69-93. But deep down. I really thought 84-89 wins and I was going to be happy with that. I didn't like getting Victorino over keeping Cody Ross. I figured Lackey was due. I liked getting Dempster, after nothing really was left. I had Tampa Bay first, Baltimore Second, and Toronto and Boston fighting for third with the Yanks right behind them very close. I had the Sox close to a wild card but not getting it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" With that I always start the season thinking that we are "going all the way" !!!  "

And you also pick a player to troll the forum on throughout the season, no matter how wrong you were - in this case Big Papi. 

As for me, I didn't think our starting pitching would be very good. I was wrong almost across the board on our starting pitching, which I thought would make us a third or fourth place team in the AL east. I thought the offense would be pretty good, it always is. But the pitching...

I'm so happy to have been wrong about that. 

Team looks very strong right now....we're in "anything is possible" mode, especially if Buch can come back strong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

D

I predicted 81-84 wins and next to no chance of making the playoffs.

I was right about the chances being low that Lester and Buch would both pitch well and stay healthy, and that was the main reason for me being pessimistic. I never expected Lackey and Doubront to pick up the slack. I never expected us to land Peavy.

On the moves made...

I loved the Dodger deal from day one...still do.

Hanrahan deal: I was against it, and I did not understand why we'd trade some future away when we had little chance to win in 2013. I also like Melancon.

Carp: loved the deal. No risk. Never expected his performance though.

Uehara: I loved the signing, but never expected him to be the ubercloser.

Gomes: Loved the signing as a cheap alternative to Cody Ross. I saw them as close to equals. I also said back then that a Nava/Gomes LF platoon might end up being close to the best OBP position on the team. I was close to being right here, but JBJ messed up the LF numbers, and Nava had to play RF a lot.

Ortiz: I favored the deal, but thought we could have gotten him for less. Teams would not have offered him this much and lost a comp draft pick by doing so. I also mentioned that lowballing him might have caused attitude issues had he felt forced to accept it. Basically, I liked the deal, and was not on board with softy and other's claims that he needed to be rested once a week to stay effective, afterall, he plays DH.

Ross: I liked the signing, but noted that Ross was slightly better vs RHPs- the same as Salty's strength. I thought they might be setting up for a Salty trade and a Ross/Lava platoon.

Napoli: I loved the deal, until I found out about the hip issue. I was glad we re-structured to a safe 1 year deal. It's also nice to have a capable emergency catcher on the roster. It allows us to PH for Salty or Ross more frequently than normal.

Victorino: I was against this signing due to the length of the deal and the fact that Shane had stunk vs LHPs, and that $13M a year was too much for a platoon type player. The sub norm numbers in 2 of his previous 3 seasons were also a concern, and made me worry about his 3rd year of the deal.

Drew: Hated the deal. I wanted Iggy as the FT SS. Thought the money was too high. Thought Drew was a worse fielder than he actually is. Thought he might be too injury prone. I said, I'd have rather have spent Drew's, Victorino's and Dempster's money on Anibel Sanchez.

Dempster: I was totally against this signing. It wasn't just paying $13M+ x 2 either. I thought of Dempster as a 5th starter type, and would have prefered to sign a guy like Brandon Mccarthey to 3-4 years at similar money Dempster got for 2. I was more about building for 2015 and beyond, and did not see any winter moves as addressing that concern.

Farrell: I loved the trade and thought it opened up the SS job for Iggy as well.

I think I predicted:

1) Yankees

2) Tampa 

3T) Boston/Baltimore

5) Toronto (I never bought into all that hype)

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

" With that I always start the season thinking that we are "going all the way" !!!  "

And you also pick a player to troll the forum on throughout the season, no matter how wrong you were - in this case Big Papi. 

As for me, I didn't think our starting pitching would be very good. I was wrong almost across the board on our starting pitching, which I thought would make us a third or fourth place team in the AL east. I thought the offense would be pretty good, it always is. But the pitching...

I'm so happy to have been wrong about that. 

Team looks very strong right now....we're in "anything is possible" mode, especially if Buch can come back strong.

OK, OK, OK,  Maybe Im not yet ready to be Ben C's. right hand man........ And down deep I am thrilled that "BIG PAPI" proved me wrong !!!!    Keep up the good work BOYS !!!!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

I predicted a .500 season, 81-81.

I thought they had 2 potentially good but inconsistent starters in Lester & Buchholz, I had no faith in Lackey, and I expected Dempster & Doubront to do their jobs, which they have.

I thought that the bullpen ws shaky.

I thought that Pedey, Papi, & Ells were the only huge assets on offense/  defense. 

I expected mediocrity from Nava, Drew, Salty, Victorino, Napoli, & Carp.

I was sorry to see Iglesias go even though Peavy was a good addition.

I would have said that anyone expecting them to have the best record in MLB was crazy.

In other words, like most of us, I underestimated this surprisingly terrific team and happily give myself a D.

:)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to joyceand's comment:

I predicted a .500 season, 81-81.

I thought they had 2 potentially good but inconsistent starters in Lester & Buchholz, I had no faith in Lackey, and I expected Dempster & Doubront to do their jobs, which they have.

I thought that the bullpen ws shaky.

I thought that Pedey, Papi, & Ells were the only huge assets on offense/  defense. 

I expected mediocrity from Nava, Drew, Salty, Victorino, Napoli, & Carp.

I was sorry to see Iglesias go even though Peavy was a good addition.

I would have said that anyone expecting them to have the best record in MLB was crazy.

In other words, like most of us, I underestimated this surprisingly terrific team and happily give myself a D.

:)

Don't be such a harsh grader. I did as badly as you at predicting the overall success of this team and I got a B+!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

There must be a thread we could dig up to keep us honest.  

I want to say I picked us to win the division, but I don't know.  I definitely thought the Blue Jays would be more of a factor.

I nailed Uehara - called him the biggest signing of the off-season, and he was barely acknowledged at the time.  I thought Bailey would have been better, but injuries happen.  I was also hoping Kalish would return late in the season, but he's a to be continued.  Doubront was much better than I expected - he's struggled lately, but was a huge part of our success this year.

I'm giving myself an incomplete, but I went to Vegas in April and put $100 on the Sox to win the world series.  They were 30-1 at the time.  If they win it all, I think I deserve an A+ :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

There must be a thread we could dig up to keep us honest.  

I want to say I picked us to win the division, but I don't know.  I definitely thought the Blue Jays would be more of a factor.

I nailed Uehara - called him the biggest signing of the off-season, and he was barely acknowledged at the time.  I thought Bailey would have been better, but injuries happen.  I was also hoping Kalish would return late in the season, but he's a to be continued.  Doubront was much better than I expected - he's struggled lately, but was a huge part of our success this year.

I'm giving myself an incomplete, but I went to Vegas in April and put $100 on the Sox to win the world series.  They were 30-1 at the time.  If they win it all, I think I deserve an A+ :)

It looks like you may win some nice change

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i never made a prediction for 2013...so i give myself an... A+....lol