Grade Yourself - Predictions 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Grade Yourself - Predictions 2013

In response to nhsteven's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

There must be a thread we could dig up to keep us honest.  

I want to say I picked us to win the division, but I don't know.  I definitely thought the Blue Jays would be more of a factor.

I nailed Uehara - called him the biggest signing of the off-season, and he was barely acknowledged at the time.  I thought Bailey would have been better, but injuries happen.  I was also hoping Kalish would return late in the season, but he's a to be continued.  Doubront was much better than I expected - he's struggled lately, but was a huge part of our success this year.

I'm giving myself an incomplete, but I went to Vegas in April and put $100 on the Sox to win the world series.  They were 30-1 at the time.  If they win it all, I think I deserve an A+ :)

It looks like you may win some nice change

The Power Rankings, for what its worth, have the Sox at #1 at their last ranking and that was before we won the Tampa series. The team is hot right now. Like others, I just hope they haven't peaked too soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Season record - I predicted 90 wins. Looks like they should do at least 6-8 better than that so I say C

Napoli - Wasn't thrilled with 3/39, but liked the player and fit. Not sure how to grade it since he basically got 1/13.

Shane V - Liked the signing and understood the slight overpay for 1 less year than he was supposedly offered. A

Drew/Iggy - I always said Iggy would hit good enough to warrant a starting job as an MLB SS. He proved nothing last year to say he was ready and I understood and liked the Drew signing. Its worked out good from where I'm sitting. Tough loss on Iggy, but the need was there for a front line starter to go deep into the playoffs and apparently they view Bogey as the man at SS. Id say I got a C on that one since Iggy has looked better than I thought this year.

Dempster - I understood the signing and he has basically what I though he would be, a #5 pitcher that you can count on to give you around 200IP and a 4.50ish ERA. A

Manager JF - I was a little hesitant at first as well, but quickly warmed up to it. B

Papi - I though it was absolutely the right move. A

Lackey - I figured he could start of slow, but would get better in the 2nd half. Hes done better than I thought. B

Gomes -  Though it was a great signing because of who he is and the role he would play for the $$. A

Ben Cherington - I've always though that Cherrington would be a good GM because of how long hes been in the organization, starting out in scouting and development and working his way to being the GM. Also being sa player himself through college. A

Theres also more that wasnt mentioned.

Joel Hanrahan- I understood the deal and what Ben was doing. I wasnt thrilled about it, but didnt hate it.  C

Mike Carp- For his role and the next to nothing cost, who didnt like it? Well, besides Softlaw ;)  A

David Ross- I was calling for him early November. A

I think its about a B grade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to notin's comment:

On my annual pre-season predictipn thread, I had the Sox fifth in the AL East. The commentary was that they alays finish worse than I predict, and this way either they would wrap around and win the AL East, or drop down and take the AL Central.

How do you grade that?

Sounds like you bent the time space continuum with a sock hole.Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

F

I was expecting a 70 win bridge year with the rebound happening in 2014.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Southie, you certainly did better than me, but I have to disagree with this...

Dempster - I understood the signing and he has basically what I though he would be, a #5 pitcher that you can count on to give you around 200IP and a 4.50ish ERA. A

Just because you called him a 5 starter and that is what he turned out to be, doesn't mean you get an A. You were for a signing that was not a good one. At best, you get a "C" for projecting his number pretty closely, but I seriously doubt Ben signed Dempster expecting to give him 175/4.70.

Sox4ever

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I grade myself an A+ because I always thought they would win the world series. I don't know whether anyone's heard of it, but it's really just a little thing known as "Kim's math":

4 almost doubled = 7

7 almost doubled = 13

It's pretty obvious when you see all the numbers how I came to my conclusion. Oh, and the beards were a clue as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Coming out of spring training, I said that this was a very good team , that had a real shot at winning it. So far , they have exceeded my expectations, but I am not all that surprised. The talent was / is there ,  and for the most part, they have stayed healthy. I give myself an A+ for seeing what others did not. The funny thing is that I am often thought of as " negative."  A + for me.                  Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Think I predicted 82-80 lol, seemed reasonable at the time.

Didn't like the Vic money and years, now I do even though he gets injured often because he plays all out; when he plays, he's a big positive out there, on the field and at the bat in the clutch.

Thought Dempster would be a little better than he's been.

Was relieved when the Napoli signing went from 3 years to 1, but right now, I'd like him back for another season.

Always liked Drew, so was glad we got him, and hope we get him back for next year too.

Felt skeptical about the Pirate closer, and didn't really want to give up on Melancon.

I'll take the C.  (But I'm doing better on the last 35 games record prediction thread where I guessed 24-11 -- we may even do better than that!!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I predicted roughly 85-88 wins (maybe getting up to 90-92 if everything broke right)...I expected us to begin turning things around, but never thought the turn-around would be so sudden and complete. The season they have had has blown away even the wildest expectations I had coming in.

As far as moves made, I don't think I ever made specific predictions for the players. I never liked the Dempster signing and expected a 4.75-5.00 ERA from him, which is just about what he's done. Napoli, Victorino, Drew, and Gomes have had the kind of solid seasons I expected from all of them. (The one signing -- other than Dempster -- I was iffy about was Victorino, primarily because of the 3/39 commitment rather than the player himself. Victorino is the man and the more I watch him play the more I love having him on the team, but I still hope his body will hold up in years 2 and 3 of the deal.) 

I knew Uehara would be good, but I never could have guessed the kind of season he's having. On the flipside, I did not care for the Hanrahan acquisition, but thought we'd get more out of him than we did.

I'll also say that I have been a big booster for Bailey and thought he'd bounce back in a big way, but although he showed signs of that early on it obviously has not panned out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Season record - I predicted .500 /correct about improving but way off on wins/D+

Napoli - I liked the original signing but hated the extended contract talks and thought they shoudlve dumped him/D

Shane V - I liked him and though he still had some spark left to help the team/B

Drew/Iggy - I was right about Iggy being a stud even without MLB experience when most disagreed, I was wrong about Drew for the last half the season (A & D) = C

Dempster - I liked him and thought he would be good (C-)

Manager JF - I was hesitant at first with Ben's obsession to sign him but came around quickly when I realized he would be a very good counterpoint to the Valentine managing massacre of 2012 (B)

Papi - I was the most vocal about getting him resigned and had total confidence in his abilities, unlike some folks named Bill/ A

Lackey - I had hope for him upon seeing his fitness work...not exactly a prediction of any sort but hey i wasnt cursing the guy / B

Gomes -  I had no use for this guy because of Ross/Nava - turned out pretty good and I pretty wrong....intangibles do matter - D

Ben Cherington - see Gomes grade - D for getting it mostly wrong about chemistry moves

OVERALL - appro/C- when dividing grades by 10

Hi gerom, I found one thread that some made predictions on (excited about 2013).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I give myself a D.

I had them being a .500 club at best.

nothing after last years mega trade told me anything different.  the effects of the additions BenC made in the offseason and the presence of Farrell are undeniable.

love this years team.

LOVE.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

My overall Grade: B+, because I was more willing to go out on a limb and actually predict some numbers than Breidey and so I deserve a better grade, no matter what his opinion is. 

Keep dreaming, Pumpsie.

Predicting some improvement over last year isn't "going out on a limb" any more than predicting failure every year is.

You wish you knew as much about baseball and the numbers involved as Joe B and others here.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I give myself a C. I saw this team as 81 to 86 win team. Who knew they were going to turn into the best team in baseball!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I figured high 80's low 90's. Depending on how things broke. The fact that they could end up with 100 wins was something I could not have predicted in one million years.

Softy should should get an F for this predictions because while he predicted high 80's he was wrong about almost every single player individual's performance. This is a guy that said Ortiz would only play 100 games this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

My overall Grade: B+, because I was more willing to go out on a limb and actually predict some numbers than Breidey and so I deserve a better grade, no matter what his opinion is. 

Keep dreaming, Pumpsie.

Predicting some improvement over last year isn't "going out on a limb" any more than predicting failure every year is.

You wish you knew as much about baseball and the numbers involved as Joe B and others here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

You're right.

I should have done the smart thing and started an "As the Sun Sets on Another Red Sox Season..." thread.

Glad those Photoshop classes are paying off.

When do you graduate from Cut & Paste 101?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I get a D at best

Was wrong about Lackey- wanted him dumped for a bag of balls

Was wrong about Farrell- thought would have been better off with Artie Beyler

Was wrong about Ortiz- Although not as negative as certain people here, I did think he would show decline this year.

Was wrong about JBJ who I thought was ready to play in the bigs and predicted he would be ROY

Was wrong predicting this an 82 win team at best. 

Was wrong that it would be best if we traded Lester for someone like Wil Myers.

I will take credit for saying

Ellsbury is still one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball

Ben C is doing the best he can with the hand he was dealt. See LA trade!!!

Bard was too far gone and would not be a contributor again in Boston

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I only predicted, along with Farrell, that they would win more games than they lost.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I only predicted, along with Farrell, that they would win more games than they lost.

I thought Dick williams said that!

Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Not sure how to give myself a letter grade -- Geo, you're the teacher, after all  -- but I say the following in all honesty:

I figured the best-case  scenario was something along the lines of 84-78, which after last season's grease fire would have been a pretty solid year.  I never, ever, envisioned the Rarely been so happy to be so wrong.

As for individual off-season signings, not sure I had strong opinions one way or another. I've always liked Napoli but was luke-warm at best about the notion of him playing first. He's been a very pleasant surprise defensively. Always been a Victorino fan, but he appeared to be in decline and injury prone. Another pleaseant surprise.