Grady making his case

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Grady making his case

In response to mize52's comment:
    [QUOTE]

On finding out about what Sizemorr did today I was damn happy. How poorly Bradley is doing should be discussed elsewhere. Try to be happy. Life is too short.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.     :)

OK Pike.  Blow up allies?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

BDC ALERT!!!!!

Please keep all posts positive!  We do not need any debate on this Red Sox "chat" board.  That's what real Bostonians do.  They chat.  They don't debate or have contentious disagreements.  We are known for our civil "conversations."  We chat.  Discuss.  Ponder.  Inquire.  Postulate.  Ruminate.  We do not argue!  We are not contentious!  We do not play devil's advocate, or any of that Socratic nonsense.  We're yes men here in Boston.  We toe the party line.  We go along & get along.

thank you for your cooperation!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'm so excited about Grady. Maybe people have underestimated the determination of a player being out for so long. He seems like a natural. His plays on the field were at least equal to Ellsbury and maybe even better. How cool would it be if this winds up being the exact answer to losing Ellsbury at a fraction of the cost? Ellsbury who?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Spaceman started a thread about the great day that Sizemore had, he had three booming hits and made two great defensive plays in CF, On post #3 Pumpsie came in with the negative post about Bradley. Didn't you notice that???? Pumpsie cannot be happy unless he is miserable. Is that good for a Red Sox Forum? Why can't a thread be started that is positive without it being derailed or hijacked by negativism. You don't notice this trend here? This is why the Forum is dying.  No room here for Red Sox fans - no room at all. Very SAD.

[/QUOTE]

It's called a forum Pike.  It allows for free expression of opinions whether positive or negative.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Ignore the ignorant should be the rule. Grady looking like Grady 2008. Great move / luck for RS. IMO best RS roster is one that includes both Sizemore and JBJ. But this means either Nava or Carp will have to be moved. I could see Grady in LF or RF vs tough RH's depending on whether Gomes or Vic needs a day off. JBJ in CF on these days and Grady could also give JBJ days off vs. some tough LH's in CF as well. Could you imagine how good defensively an outfield of Sizemore / JBJ / Victorino would be? The big ? is do you move a guy like Nava, who could bring back a pretty good prospect and hope that Sizemore can stay healthy. But if Sizemore were nicked up guess Carp could fill platoon role in LF. Sizemore playing in 120-140 games is about max if you want to keep from wearing him down or reinjuring. If Carp traded Nava / JBJ / Sizemore OF not bad either, problem here is will Vic like idea of sitting more in 14 after a terrific 2013 for RS?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Guru_Meditation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no thread PIKE will not attempt to ruin.

[/QUOTE]

And folks are more than happy to accomodate him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

//

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to Guru_Meditation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no thread PIKE will not attempt to ruin.

And folks are more than happy to accomodate him.

[/QUOTE]

You're right, B. He's just looking for attention, any attention, even negative.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Grady looks terrific, it's true.  But Peter Abraham reports the smart money expects Bradley to be in CF on opening day.  Reason:  Sizemore isn't ready for every day baseball yet because it is an unbelievable grind. 

[/QUOTE]

And that's why I think Carp will be traded.  Grady is making his case to be the opening day starter at CF but we don't want to risk anything by playing him everyday.  If Carp is traded, his role is now goes to Nava who will start at LF and occasional back up at 1B.  Sox will have Nava, Sizemore, Vic, JBJ and Gomes share OF.  Let's not forget Shane also needs some break time to time.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And that's why I think Carp will be traded.  Grady is making his case to be the opening day starter at CF but we don't want to risk anything by playing him everyday.  If Carp is traded, his role is now goes to Nava who will start at LF and occasional back up at 1B.  Sox will have Nava, Sizemore, Vic, JBJ and Gomes share OF.  Let's not forget Shane also needs some break time to time.

Agreed. We will also have Papi playing 1B here and there in NL parks. In a pinch (injury to Napoli) , we can use Lava, Snyder or Middy at 1B, at least until we find a suitable replacement 1Bman.

I think someone will get a phantom injury before opening day, and the decision will be postponned a couple weeks. If we don't trade Carp, JBJ will start FT in AAA and maybe gain a year of low-cost team control.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

Great thread except for post #3 where such poster thought that the thread was about Bradley and his troubles. Why can't we just for a moment, celebrate what Sizemore did today. Some posters are never happy unless they are miserable. Talk about a wet blanket.

[/QUOTE]

Relax.  Chillout.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to alan93's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/8878860/v31566969

[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately for Bradley, he is making HIS case too....for a return to AAA ball.

[/QUOTE]

Too bad about Bradley. Maybe we can trade him.

[/QUOTE]

Nah.  IMO, Sizemore getting the opening day nod would be the best case scenario for Bradley.  If he is not ready for prime time, he is not ready for prime time.  It was a stretch to think he would be ready this year to be an everyday CF in the majors anyway.  If Sizemore turns out to be Sizemore '08 version and his legs hold out, they can decide what to do at the end of the year, or at the deadline if the writing is on the green wall at that point.  But, maybe Sizemore's legs can't hold up over the long haul, in which case some useful seasoning in Rhode Island and Jackie comes up when he is more ready.  I really like the idea of not rushing young Jackie.  I might be wrong, but my Baseball Spidey Sense rarely is.  I think JBJ is not quite there yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I don't know when we're going to learn not to put so much stock (or any, really) in spring training stats. A year ago JBJ was hitting .400 and that was supposed to be proof positive that he was ready for the show, and now he's hitting .180 and some people seem to have already dismissed him.

Does Bogaerts belong in AAA as well because he's hitting .160? Somehow, I don't see a lot of people arguing that.

Not saying I'm against Sizemore starting if he continues on the path he's on, but I'm not ready to write Bradley off, either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I don't know when we're going to learn not to put so much stock (or any, really) in spring training stats. A year ago JBJ was hitting .400 and that was supposed to be proof positive that he was ready for the show, and now he's hitting .180 and some people seem to have already dismissed him.

Does Bogaerts belong in AAA as well because he's hitting .160? Somehow, I don't see a lot of people arguing that.

Not saying I'm against Sizemore starting if he continues on the path he's on, but I'm not ready to write Bradley off, either.

I am not writing Jackie off either.  But Sizemore and Bradley are two different Spring Training cases:  with Grady, its 'how is his fitness and can he shake off the multi-year rust?'.  We already know the kind of major league player Sizemore can be if healthy. With Jackie, its 'Can he hit major league pitching?' The former questions have been, in short order, answered affirmatively.  The latter question is still up in the air.  And, you are right, ST can be very deceiving.  I am not talking about writing Jackie bradley off at all.  I love the kid.  In fact, I am for Sizemore getting the opening day nod BECAUSE I like Bradley so much.  I want his soup to finish cooking before it gets served because I think it will turn out to be warm and hearty with complex flavors.  To me, this is sort of a best case scenario that is unfolding, not a write-off of JBJ.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not writing Jackie off either.  But Sizemore and Bradley are two different Spring Training cases:  with Grady, its 'how is his fitness and can he shake off the multi-year rust?'.  We already know the kind of major league player Sizemore can be if healthy. With Jackie, its 'Can he hit major league pitching?' The former questions have been, in short order, answered affirmatively.  The latter question is still up in the air.  And, you are right, ST can be very deceiving.  I am not talking about writing Jackie bradley off at all.  I love the kid.  In fact, I am for Sizemore getting the opening day nod BECAUSE I like Bradley so much.  I want his soup to finishcooking before it gets served because I think it will turn out to be warm and hearty with complex flavors.  To me, this is sort of a best case scenario that is unfolding, not a write-off of JBJ.

[/QUOTE]

All good points, Space. I wasn't referring to you (or anyone really in particular), by the way...I just feel like, on the whole, last spring's somewhat irrational exuberance over JBJ has overcorrected to the point where he may not always get the credit that he deserves. Perhaps I'm wrong.

In any case, you have to love what Sizemore is doing out there. I still see several possible outcomes to the Grady/Jackie question by Opening Day, but there is a lot to be excited about right now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am not writing Jackie off either.  But Sizemore and Bradley are two different Spring Training cases:  with Grady, its 'how is his fitness and can he shake off the multi-year rust?'.  We already know the kind of major league player Sizemore can be if healthy. With Jackie, its 'Can he hit major league pitching?' The former questions have been, in short order, answered affirmatively.  The latter question is still up in the air.  And, you are right, ST can be very deceiving.  I am not talking about writing Jackie bradley off at all.  I love the kid.  In fact, I am for Sizemore getting the opening day nod BECAUSE I like Bradley so much.  I want his soup to finishcooking before it gets served because I think it will turn out to be warm and hearty with complex flavors.  To me, this is sort of a best case scenario that is unfolding, not a write-off of JBJ.

[/QUOTE]

All good points, Space. I wasn't referring to you (or anyone really in particular), by the way...I just feel like, on the whole, last spring's somewhat irrational exuberance over JBJ has overcorrected to the point where he may not always get the credit that he deserves. Perhaps I'm wrong.

In any case, you have to love what Sizemore is doing out there. I still see several possible outcomes to the Grady/Jackie question by Opening Day, but there is a lot to be excited about right now.

[/QUOTE]

No doubt Flap.  All this falls under the old Good-Problem-To Have umbrella.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

For someone who has had micro-surgery on both knees he appears to be in great shape now. They have clocked him at 4.2 sec. going down the line to first base this spring. His best in his days at Cleveland was 4.14.

It might make sense to bring him up after the cold weather has gone.

They'd have to phantom DL him; he's out of options.

To me, he's looking too good to bench or leave off the roster.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Grady looks terrific, it's true.  But Peter Abraham reports the smart money expects Bradley to be in CF on opening day.  Reason:  Sizemore isn't ready for every day baseball yet because it is an unbelievable grind. 

[/QUOTE]

This pretty much sums it up.  The balls which Grady has to hustle to in cf, JBJ gets to with ease.  JBJ should start opening day and after a few weeks if a change is needed, it will be done.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm so excited about Grady. Maybe people have underestimated the determination of a player being out for so long. He seems like a natural. His plays on the field were at least equal to Ellsbury and maybe even better. How cool would it be if this winds up being the exact answer to losing Ellsbury at a fraction of the cost? Ellsbury who?

[/QUOTE]

Well, I hope Red Sox fans never resort to Ellsbury Who. Grady has another month of hard baseball before he can be declared totally back.  Yes he has been hitting but beat writers like to create a hero each spring training.  it sells papers and adds followers on twitter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

For someone who has had micro-surgery on both knees he appears to be in great shape now. They have clocked him at 4.2 sec. going down the line to first base this spring. His best in his days at Cleveland was 4.14.

It might make sense to bring him up after the cold weather has gone.

[/QUOTE]

They'd have to phantom DL him; he's out of options.

To me, he's looking too good to bench or leave off the roster.

[/QUOTE]

Thought that I read that he had one option left, it must have been Carp instead.

[/QUOTE]

Carp has no options left either.