Grady Sizemore should be the starting CF on opening day....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Grady Sizemore should be the starting CF on opening day....

Obviously FO was worried about handing the keys to JBJ, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in Grady.  At this point i believe Grady has done enough to win the job and JBJ hasn't.  couple that with JBJ still having options.  He is young enough that this seeming "demotion" should not adversely effect him for too long. it will test his character and the hope is give him hunger and chip on his shoulder.  that combination can be extremely beneficial.

I think they will send him to pawtucket but tell him to keep his bags packed for the inevitable DL replacement for GS or victorino. 

We may have caught the proverbial lightning in a bottle with GS and should ride that low cost/high reward horse until it keels over.  Meanwhile JBJ can get nightly work in AAA.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore should be the starting CF on opening day....

In response to slasher9's comment:

Obviously FO was worried about handing the keys to JBJ, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in Grady.  At this point i believe Grady has done enough to win the job and JBJ hasn't.  couple that with JBJ still having options.  He is young enough that this seeming "demotion" should not adversely effect him for too long. it will test his character and the hope is give him hunger and chip on his shoulder.  that combination can be extremely beneficial.

I think they will send him to pawtucket but tell him to keep his bags packed for the inevitable DL replacement for GS or victorino. 

We may have caught the proverbial lightning in a bottle with GS and should ride that low cost/high reward horse until it keels over.  Meanwhile JBJ can get nightly work in AAA.

I think Sizemore has to play multiple game in a row, with no problems, before that happens

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Slash, agree with the premise and the sentiment.  However, in our extremely important roles as armchair GMs of the Boston Red Sox, I would like to add that there is no need to make this decision at this juncture.  Yes, Grady has passed initial hurdles.  But I think we need the entirety of Spring Training to properly assess his physical fitness.  A full slate of ST games is a poor predictor of how he might hold up under the rigors of regular season run, but it is at least an indicator.  While they are giving him opportunity to show he is good to go, they have been treating him with kid gloves too.  Rolling slow.  And this is good.  But, thouh I am sure both he and Jackie would love to have the decision made sooner than later, I believe we need the rest of March to get a proper handle on this and make a professional decision.  I will bullet point my take for our meeting with Mr henry et all later today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'd like to see them both on the active roster (and if not, some consideration given to someone like Brown or Cousins for a roster spot), for the simple reason that I don't much like the whole Victorino-as-backup-CF arrangement. We have enough guys who can play left field and first base...it would be nice to have someone on the bench who can play center. (Particularly if Grady does win the starting job. Even if he is healthy, I expect he'll need much more than the usual amount of days off.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I doubt Grady starts in center on opening day.  JBJ knows the field and hasn't had a vast number of different surgeries. Even if Sizemore keeps hitting, I think Farrell will work him gradually into the sox system. The cold month of April and especially April nights, can quickly take its toll on a body held together with staples.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

I'm assuming they will be carrying 12 pitchers which leaves 13 "fielding" spots.

C = 2 (AJ / Ross)

infield = 6 (WMB, XBO, Pedey, naps, carp, herrerra)

dh = 1 (god)

that leaves 4 OF = nava. gomes, victorino, & either grady or JBJ.

are my numbers / players on target???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't know. I think it would be tough for Bradley to deal with. He had every reason to think that he was the heir apparent to Ellsbury. Now to be told " Sorry kid, you did not make the team. We are going with Victorino, Sizemore, Nava, Gomes and Carp. We are sending you back to Pawtucket. Be ready in case there is an injury",  would be quite a disappointment.  Barring injury, I think somebody gets traded. Maybe Carp?  Bradley turns 24 next month. I don't see the need for him to " play every day " in Pawtucket to further hone his skills. Either he has it or he doesn't . Time to find out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I don't know. I think it would be tough for Bradley to deal with. He had every reason to think that he was the heir apparent to Ellsbury. Now to be told " Sorry kid, you did not make the team. We are going with Victorino, Sizemore, Nava, Gomes and Carp. We are sending you back to Pawtucket. Be ready in case there is an injury",  would be quite a disappointment.  Barring injury, I think somebody gets traded. Maybe Carp?  Bradley turns 24 next month. I don't see the need for him to " play every day " in Pawtucket to further hone his skills. Either he has it or he doesn't . Time to find out. 

If it happens and I don't think it will, JBJ will handle it well. He is still young and just got married.  It is a nice park to play in and he is smart enough to know that he will be the first call after the first injury.

Plus he has Boras for an agent, right?  Like some other poster said, JBJ would have been starting on a lot of other teams last year.

Not that it makes a big difference in spring training, didn't sizemore play in a minor league game this week?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

Obviously FO was worried about handing the keys to JBJ, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in Grady. 

See, I'm not too sure about that, Slash...if they had serious concerns about JBJ, one would think they'd have gone out and gotten someone who was more or less a sure thing - not a lottery ticket like Sizemore.

I still think Bradley was always Plan A, just as Xander was at SS, and they figured if Grady got healthy they'd let things sort themselves out...

At this point i believe Grady has done enough to win the job and JBJ hasn't.  couple that with JBJ still having options. 

That may end up being the case, but I don't know if we can make that judgment after a handful of spring training plate appearances. JBJ has options, but Sizemore could also go on the DL and rehab in the minors if he needs to take some extra time to build up strength.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

At this point i believe Grady has done enough to win the job

Has he? He has not hit an extra base hit yet. No steals either. One walk. Has he really done anything yet?

I still have questions about his defense in CF  and his ability to drive the ball for power.

Lets wait until the end of spring training AT LEAST before deciding who our CF is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Has he? He has not hit an extra base hit yet. No steals either. One walk. Has he really done anything yet?

I still have questions about his defense in CF  and his ability to drive the ball for power.

Lets wait until the end of spring training AT LEAST before deciding who our CF is.

Great point about his defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Maybe you've seen enough, but I sure haven't.  The MLB regular season is an unbelievable grind, and Sizemore at this point ain't no grinder.   2008, six years ago, was his last healthy season. 

To date Sizemore has played in 5 of 15 games and has yet to go 9 innings.  His OPS is .665.  You sure are easy to satisfy.  Me, I defininitely need to see more.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The addition of Sizemore to the roster had more to do with addressing the need to have another 4th outfielder able to play both RF & CF than it did with concerns about Bradley. Thus allowing Victorino to stay in RF and not have to move over whenever Bradley was out of the lineup.  As the roster stands now the player who I think is the more likely to be moved is Carp...if Sizemore indeed makes the roster (todays seems likely) and proves that he can stay in the lineup. Which is still a big if...A question that might take until June to answer.

They might as you suggest send Bradley down or they might send Carp down who's only real value is as a left pinch hitter and backup 1B. A role that Nava able to to fill along with Grady...Come June if the answer to the Sizemore question is yes? Whether as the starter or the 4th OFer...Carp then becomes expendable. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

This team just won the WS.  If you're going to start a rookie at the beginning of the season at CF, now is the time to do it.  Give JBJ the keys for a month, and keep Sizemore in the wings.

I'd rather see how JBJ plays with the confidence vote of the coaches rather than sulking in AAA waiting for Sizemore to mess up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

My thoughts as well.  He has a .665 OPS.  He has 14 PAs, which is the equivalent of 3 full 9-inning games.  If Vic had to play CF once a week, and Nava play RF once a week, I wouldn't like it, but could probably live with it.  But still, 26 games with Gomes/Vic/Nava is pretty weak defense, and increases Vic's chances for an injury.

And that assumes Sizemore can play 5+ games a week.

What I might do, at this late point, is to relegate JBJ to split squad games and the such, and make Sizemore my everyday ST CF.  Then, a week from now, see how he held up playing 5 in a row, and if he is starting to drive the ball, and make the decision at the end of ST.

But, if the season opened today, JBJ would be my CF and batting 9th.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't see it that way.  Lightning in a bottle is more likely from Middlebrooks and Bogaerts at 3B and SS.  If both hit the way we think they can, Farrell can play almost anyone in CF and still win games.

Speaking of which--winning games--why has the Sox pitching suddenly become so irrelevant when it should be the #1 topic?  Pitching was huge last year, and five good starters--Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront, and Peavy--are back this year with 2 or 3 decent backups and a decent bullpen. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

No need to send JB down because an oft injured player is still standing upright....JB stays and provides speed, youth, and skills to the champs whenever he's called on. having said that I am glad they took a chance on GS. We all loved him here on the board and were talking about this for some time. Sometimes us arm chair GMs get it right. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i understand that the FO will wait until the last moment to make the decision.  my point is my opinion.  yes, there has been only limited AB's to compare.  spring is all about small sample sizes.  it's also about gut feelings when a position spot is up for grabs.  and $$.  and options.  all these factors point armchair slasher to starting GS in CF.  sherriff proposed dealing Carp in another thread and keeping both JBJ and GS.  that seems like a good solution if we can get something decent back for Carp.  i certainly would not just give him away as JBJ still has options and really hasnt earned an MLB roster spot this spring.  IMO.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sizemore already has said that if he needs to get more time in AAA he has no problem with it. Hes apparently thrilled with the program the Sox have put him on and the results so far from it.

One of them will start the year in AAA, and its all but a guarentee that both GS and JBJ will get plenty of playing time in Boston this year.

Good "problem" to have if you ask me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

IMHO   JBJ needs to go to AAA----he has to get his confidence back hitting. For the Sox to be satisfied with someone batting below the Mendoaza line against an assortment of ML and MIL pitching does not send the right message to a player.

In addition let Sizemore play as long as he can as well as he can--what good is it going to do him traveling and playing on second rate fields with a greater danger of injury. If people are concerned about an injury while playing for the Sox--why worry with Vic's ability to swing over to CF and Nava to RF.

If you are that worried trade Grady now--and install JBJ as your CF'der.

In my estimation Corey Brown deserves a longer look.  I think this kid, though 29, appears to play the OF just fine and he's batting respectably. Send out JBJ and look to trade Nava or Carp or both.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Grantland is predicting Grady to be leadoff/CF:

Projected lineup:
    CF Grady Sizemore (.252/.291/.383)
    RF Shane Victorino (.271/.333/.423)
    2B Dustin Pedroia (.286/.356/.427)
    DH David Ortiz (.290/.380/.529)
    1B Mike Napoli (.244/.343/.466)
    LF Daniel Nava (.263/.347/.395)
    SS Xander Bogaerts (.265/.327/.423)
    C A.J. Pierzynski (.268/.300/.417)
    3B Will Middlebrooks (.255/.298/.443)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

No need to send JB down because an oft injured player is still standing upright....JB stays and provides speed, youth, and skills to the champs whenever he's called on. having said that I am glad they took a chance on GS. We all loved him here on the board and were talking about this for some time. Sometimes us arm chair GMs get it right. 

Only problem with this scenario is that Bradley is still trying to figure out how to handle certain breaking pitches and the inside part of the plate.  He is not going to hone these skills being pinch-runner/defensive replacement.  I would rather he get reps in Rhode Island for a while until the inevitable injuries make his presence a necessity rather than a luxury.

Sections
Shortcuts