Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I don't think this is a horrible deal (like the one the Yankees just signed with Tanaka)-its just a meaningless one. I cannot see a guy who has essentially been out of baseball with injuries for FOUR YEARS helping very much. He costs next to nothing, but I think he will give us next to nothing as well. In addition, we now have SIX OF-and we still need an OF who can mash LHP. Adding Sizemore provides little upside for the team IMO.

The six OF is no big deal. If everyone is playing well, you can always move one during the spring.

Yes, an OF who can mash would be nice but the Sox won the W.S. last year w/o one. And to add, the Sox could end up being better against lefties this year if Middlebrooks hits all year like he did in August and September, and if Bogaerts is the real deal.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Everyone is missing the real reason why Sizemore was signed.

It was because of John Henry. He told Cherington to make a move. Remember, Henry owns the Globe and the Sox message board has been a bit stagnant lately. So Henry told Cherington to do something, so Sizemore was signed.

Et voila

Six pages on this thread alone.

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory.

Innocent

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I don't think this is a horrible deal (like the one the Yankees just signed with Tanaka)-its just a meaningless one. I cannot see a guy who has essentially been out of baseball with injuries for FOUR YEARS helping very much. He costs next to nothing, but I think he will give us next to nothing as well. In addition, we now have SIX OF-and we still need an OF who can mash LHP. Adding Sizemore provides little upside for the team IMO.

The six OF is no big deal. If everyone is playing well, you can always move one during the spring.

Yes, an OF who can mash would be nice but the Sox won the W.S. last year w/o one. And to add, the Sox could end up being better against lefties this year if Middlebrooks hits all year like he did in August and September, and if Bogaerts is the real deal.

I guess thats one way to look at it. I don't really mind this deal because it cost the team almost nothing. It will only cost a significant amount if he produces, and in that case, he is worth the investment. And I guess having six OF right now is not a bad thing-I just wouldn't want to go into the regular season carrying that many of them.

Our real need is a good RHH who can mash (as well as unloading Dempster). Its possible the Middy and Bogey will help in that regard, and I expect Pedroia to regain some of his power now that his thumb is healed. Hopefully that need will be addressed before the season starts.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

Nobody has high hopes about Sizemore, he is just insurance or perhaps trade bait at a later time should he prove that he can still play. Right Al?

Al, Jose is PIKE

He assaulted SoxyJim earlier. 

He targets and baits posters, who he thinks aren't aware of who he is

The interesting thing is that it was one side. Jim posted about being a Sox fan in up stated New  York and pike precede to bump every post Jim made to show that he wasnt a true Sox fan.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Our real need is a good RHH who can mash (as well as unloading Dempster). Its possible the Middy and Bogey will help in that regard, and I expect Pedroia to regain some of his power now that his thumb is healed. Hopefully that need will be addressed before the season starts.

It'd be nice, but it's not really a need.  The hitters we lost, Ellsbury and Drew, were not RH hitters.  We haven't lost anything in this area.  We can only gain, especially with Bogaerts.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

It'd be nice, but it's not really a need.  The hitters we lost, Ellsbury and Drew, were not RH hitters.  We haven't lost anything in this area.  We can only gain, especially with Bogaerts.

If we want to find areas to IMPROVE, thats one where there is a need. There was a need for that kind of player last year and the need remains. Yes, we won a ring without a RHH masher, but it would have been a bit easier with a lineup that was more potent vs LHP.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nobody has high hopes about Sizemore, he is just insurance or perhaps trade bait at a later time should he prove that he can still play. Right Al?

Al, Jose is PIKE

He assaulted SoxyJim earlier. 

He targets and baits posters, who he thinks aren't aware of who he is

The interesting thing is that it was one side. Jim posted about being a Sox fan in up stated New  York and pike precede to bump every post Jim made to show that he wasnt a true Sox fan.

According to Pike, no one, except him is a true sox fan. Everyone else is a wet blanket, troll, a pretender or a New York Yankee fan,

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

If we want to find areas to IMPROVE, thats one where there is a need. There was a need for that kind of player last year and the need remains. Yes, we won a ring without a RHH masher, but it would have been a bit easier with a lineup that was more potent vs LHP.

The easy way to fix that is in the infield. Borgaerts js probably good for 20 home runs and if Middlebrooks can stay up 25-30. Now combine that with Napoli. Hopefully Pedroia power returns after the thumb heals and Victorino has decent power from the right hand side. I get it you want a steriod era righty slugger, they really don't exist right. You take power with flaws or contact with limited power on the right side these days. Bradley would be like having your pitcher bat, he is that bad right now. Maybe by the end of the year he is a big leaguer, with Sizemore you get a guy who can allow you to go slow with JBJ. If Sizemore is healthy he is the Sox lead off hitter.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Why are so many annoyed here when I agreed with comments made by S5 and J-Bay  about AL34? Why are personal insults being directed at me when I merely agreed with what they said? Why weren't they insulted also?  If Moonslav had said that AL34's comment was tongue-in-cheek also, would you insult him also? It doesn't make any sense.

If I had said that AL34 was being serious and that S5 and J-Bay were wrong in saying that he was "tongue-in-cheek" then what would happen? Try to address the question in a logical manner. 

Uh oh.....the meds are gone....here comes the awkwardness.....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

It's a low risk/high reward signing that could turn out to be a steal, as some have mentioned.  I'm also certain they wanted to bring in someone who could "push" Bradley, as a little competition is healthy.  Also, from a marketing perspective, they just lost their number one draw with their female audience (Ellsbury) & Sizemore was as big as it gets with the female fan base in Cleveland.  This type of thing might make the baseball purists want to throw up, but baseball is still a business at the end of the day.  

Sizemore also spent 5 years in Cleveland with Farrell, who knows his character & work ethic.  The funny thing is that if he was an outfielder who no one ever heard of and the Sox gave him $750K to compete for a spot in spring training, no one would blink.  

He may be a longshot, but for $750,000, it's well worth the risk.  

Good points Jasko.  I like the deal.  Signing Grady gives the team some depth and some flexibility in the OF should there be an injury or underperformance.  Nava and JBJ still have options remaining, so either of those could start the season in AAA if Grady proves he can still play.  The risk in this deal is minimal.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    "At $1M, Grady could turn out to be the steal of the year."

If there is any significant chance that he could return to his pre-injury form, it makes me wonder what a club option for a 2nd year would have cost ...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

It's only $1M. He could end up being cut loose, if it doesn't work out.

I wish I could afford to just cut loose of a million. Hell, I wish I had a million TO cut loose. Kind of keeps things in perspective.

Yeah!  Good point.  It just amues me the way most posters talk about throwing millions of dollars around like it's monopoly money....when most probably never made a fraction of it over their lifetime.

I've come to the conclusion that many posters are in some fantasy mode and completely delusional....completely lost touch with reality.

I think I need a break from this fantasy-land.  I just don't need to read some of the rediculous trade suggestions...salary suggestions etc.

Thank goodness for a post like yours which happens every so often.

I've come to the conclusion that you're an arrogant bore; and, yes, please take a break from this board.

Yup...time to ignore Mr. Wizard tvfrank

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to ampoule's comment:

It's only $1M. He could end up being cut loose, if it doesn't work out.

I wish I could afford to just cut loose of a million. Hell, I wish I had a million TO cut loose. Kind of keeps things in perspective.

Yeah!  Good point.  It just amues me the way most posters talk about throwing millions of dollars around like it's monopoly money....when most probably never made a fraction of it over their lifetime.

I've come to the conclusion that many posters are in some fantasy mode and completely delusional....completely lost touch with reality.

You need to put things in context. Yes, $1 million is a lot of money to you and me, but in context of the Red Sox payroll and budget it's relatively nothing.

$1 million is less than 1 percent (about .59 percent) of the Sox payroll. And if you're talking about revenue that the Sox make, it's considerably less than .59 percent. 

Roy, Well....I guess I really shouldn't say, but with good investment and hard work, I've got my share of comfort, but it doesn't discount the fact how people throw around these figures like they were pennies...tremendous Red Sox payroll or not.  It's just crazy.  For some pathetic souls, like tvfrank for example who salivates on worthless sarcasm, it's just a release for them from their mundane, frustrating lives.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peter Gammons:

"Red Sox manager John Farrell and assistant GM Mike Hazen knew Sizemore well in Cleveland, where from 2005 to 2008 he averaged 27 homers, an .862 OPS and averaged 160 games played. Then came injuries, two microfiber injuries and in four years averaged 52 games played.

Sizemore essentially has taken two years to get his body back to where it is physiologically, a long process of strengthening every part of his body and get him back to where he was on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Sizemore won’t be 32 until August, his body is finally balanced, and it is a gamble worth taking, especially when Farrell and Hazen vividly remember how good and utterly selfless he was when the Indians were going to the seventh game of the 2007 ALCS.

Sizemore’s signing isn’t a goodbye to Jackie Bradley, Jr., as John Farrell made clear. Farrell, Ben Cherington and Mike Hazen like to store as much potential depth and flexibility as possible, and Sizemore gives them such. The manager knows how much everyone in the Cleveland organization respected him."

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Retweeted by Jonny Gomes Boston Red Sox @RedSox 19h

Sizemore on signing with #RedSox: Who wouldn't want to be a part of this group of guys.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Sizemore on signing with #RedSox: Who wouldn't want to be a part of this group of guys.

johnny damon jr ?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

johnny damon jr ?

You missed the obvious one, Zac.  I think he's playing CF for the Y's this year.  Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

One of the problems with a player that hasn't been playing for basically 5 years is you forget who they are. I just figured out Sizemore has a noodle arm in the Ellsbury-Crawford-Damon mold. So my thought he could play RF is probably out the window.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:

johnny damon jr ?

You missed the obvious one, Zac.  I think he's playing CF for the Y's this year.  Smile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

no I didn't read it again

BTW thanks for not calling me out 4 trolling ;-)

In response to S5's comment:

johnny damon jr ?

no I didn't read it again

BTW thanks for not calling me out 4 trolling ;-)

NP.  I only call trolls, "trolls".   Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

One of the problems with a player that hasn't been playing for basically 5 years is you forget who they are. I just figured out Sizemore has a noodle arm in the Ellsbury-Crawford-Damon mold. So my thought he could play RF is probably out the window.

This also might signal that they don't really like the idea of Victorino backing up CF, sure he can play a few games there....but they probably hope for Sizemore to be able to play somewhere between 30-40 games there and/or possibly get some playing time in LF as well.  If Nava goes down and sizemore can stay healthy he might be a better option to platoon with Gomes in LF.  Also if Carp is gone, Nava becomes the backup 1bman presumably which could give Sizemore more time in LF as well. 

....of course, he still has to make the team out of spring training. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Ken Rosenthal       

Source confirms: Grady Sizemore to Red Sox on one-year, major-league deal. Guarantee less than $1M, bonuses can take it up to $6M.

Wishful thinking.........  All the "O-CARE" in the world will not get him back on the field !!

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Ken Rosenthal       

Source confirms: Grady Sizemore to Red Sox on one-year, major-league deal. Guarantee less than $1M, bonuses can take it up to $6M.

Wishful thinking.........  All the "O-CARE" in the world will not get him back on the field !!

Trolling again, Bill?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to BMav's comment:

This also might signal that they don't really like the idea of Victorino backing up CF, sure he can play a few games there....but they probably hope for Sizemore to be able to play somewhere between 30-40 games there and/or possibly get some playing time in LF as well.  If Nava goes down and sizemore can stay healthy he might be a better option to platoon with Gomes in LF.  Also if Carp is gone, Nava becomes the backup 1bman presumably which could give Sizemore more time in LF as well. 

....of course, he still has to make the team out of spring training. 

I haven't looked for the details of the contract yet, Hugh, but I would be shocked if he doesn't have an opt out clause (May 1st?).  He's not here to be a 5th outfielder or bounce around the outfield. If he doesn't win the starting centerfielder position, he'll be gone.  A guy at his age, with his talent, is going to look for an opportunity to play every day somewhere in attempt to resurrect his career.

• Sections
    Shortcuts