Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

Ken Rosenthal       

Source confirms: Grady Sizemore to Red Sox on one-year, major-league deal. Guarantee less than $1M, bonuses can take it up to $6M.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

I like it!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

wow, me too

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Now that is interesting. Ir we can dial the wayback machine back to 2008 the Red Sox have themselves a very good player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I like it. It's a no-lose situation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

He has been out of baseball for two years with a variety of injuries of the knees and back. Its okay but I would be more impressed with Giancarlo Stanton being traded to us. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has been out of baseball for two years with a variety of injuries of the knees and back. Its okay but I would be more impressed with Giancarlo Stanton being traded to us. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is being done to set up a Sizemore for Stanton trade.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Thw 'Major league Deal' is a big deal.  Who goes?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

One of those no lose type signings.  Another solid move by BC.  Imagine if he can stay healthy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is headed to AAA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is being done to set up a Sizemore for Stanton trade.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sizemore if healthy has better running skills than Gomes,Carp or Nava.he was a great prospect when coming up.So like another post i had you don't just lose the skills.they diminish but you don't lose them.Now package a Carp and a starter.you get a great player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is headed to AAA.

[/QUOTE]

The need in the OF for us is not an oft-injured LHH CF. We need a RHH power hitting OF. You might be right, but I would have preferred JBJ in CF this year. Sizemore hasn't had a good year in five years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

JBJ is headed to AAA.

Could be, Joe.  The signing says they're not sure he's mlb ready. Insurance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is headed to AAA.

[/QUOTE]

I am far from a JBJ fan and think he will be WAY over his head filling shoes that he can NEVER fill......however, talk about a big kick in the crotch if you're JBJ!!  "You're our 3rd ranked prospect....but we think we need to bring in a player that hasnt played more than 30 games in 3 years to compete with you"..........ouch.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I was always a fan of Seattle area product Grady Sizemore. but I'm surprised Sizemore landed an MLB contract this offseason.

I last saw Sizemore play during Spring Training 2011:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310326105&teams=san-francisco-giants-vs-cleveland-indians

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to bosoxhero2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

sizemore if healthy has better running skills than Gomes,Carp or Nava.he was a great prospect when coming up.So like another post i had you don't just lose the skills.they diminish but you don't lose them.Now package a Carp and a starter.you get a great player.

[/QUOTE]

If Sizemore can play like he did in 2008 then this deal is a good one...or if, as you say, they package Carp and Dempster for a RHH power OF or insurance at 3B then this makes sense. The way it is right now, I don't like it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is headed to AAA.

[/QUOTE]

The need in the OF for us is not an oft-injured LHH CF. We need a RHH power hitting OF. You might be right, but I would have preferred JBJ in CF this year. Sizemore hasn't had a good year in five years.

[/QUOTE]

JBJ just doesn't seem to be ready. With this deal they can take their time with JBJ and if Sizemore gets hurt or sucks they can easily dump him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Sizemore can play like he did in 2008 then this deal is a good one...or if, as you say, they package Carp and Dempster for a RHH power OF or insurance at 3B then this makes sense. The way it is right now, I don't like it.

[/QUOTE]

Dempster and Carp will net you nothing more than another backup outfielder/backup infielder/relief pitcher/B level prospect.  The money those two are costing us right now almost makes them untadeable AS A PACKAGE unless we pay a bunch of money.  Ask yourself this:  would you trade a power RHH in the OF for Dempster and Carp??  a lot depends on your definition of a 'Power hitting RHH'......but surely the answer is "NO"!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i agree it is a little puzzling but in the two years he has been out of baseball he must be 100% healthy.he is a good fielder and doesn't have bad walk to strikeout ratio's.had speed and some power.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is headed to AAA.

[/QUOTE]

I am far from a JBJ fan and think he will be WAY over his head filling shoes that he can NEVER fill......however, talk about a big kick in the crotch if you're JBJ!!  "You're our 3rd ranked prospect....but we think we need to bring in a player that hasnt played more than 30 games in 3 years to compete with you"..........ouch.

[/QUOTE]

They had both Igelias and Borgaerts and signed Drew.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i agree it is a little puzzling but in the two years he has been out of baseball he must be 100% healthy.he is a good fielder and doesn't have bad walk to strikeout ratio's.had speed and some power.

[/QUOTE]

My guess is that this is a prelude to another deal. At least I hope thats what it is, since we now have six OF on the roster. And JBJ deserves a chance to win the CF job.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dempster and Carp will net you nothing more than another backup outfielder/backup infielder/relief pitcher/B level prospect.  The money those two are costing us right now almost makes them untadeable AS A PACKAGE unless we pay a bunch of money.  Ask yourself this:  would you trade a power RHH in the OF for Dempster and Carp??  a lot depends on your definition of a 'Power hitting RHH'......but surely the answer is "NO"!!!

[/QUOTE]

We have enough prospects in the minors to sweeten the deal significantly. Lavarnway is another chip that could be included, for example.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

JBJ is headed to AAA.

To add another year of team control, that's not a bad idea.

Sections
Shortcuts