Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

Microfractures and surgeries to both knees, 2 sports hernia surgeries. It will be intresting to see if he can make a comeback. Not to mention Back surgery.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to devildavid's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why pay him more than minimum? Why give him incentives? He's lucky to be signed at all.

Because he had other offers on the table.  If hr gets those incentives....he's likely worth a LOT more than what he's being paid

We were competing with other teams for the services of a multi-injured player who hasn't played for the past 2 seasons? Incredible!

To a deal worth less than a million.  You have to make the small deals too.  You have to fill out the 25 man, build the minor league rosters, bring I guys to ST to compete, build depth, bring in options to ST etc.

Its not like they took a multi year multi million gamble on him.  If it doesn't work out they will cut him and not even blink.  It's not the sexiest move, but why be bothered by it? This isn't a franchise defining move.  It's a very low risk/high reward move.  

If it doesn't workout then he costs pennies in baseball dollars.

If he is 75% the player he once was he's worth 10 times what we paid him.

It's money they didn't have to spend. That's what bothers me. It does nothing to improve the team now or in the future. It is all risk/little or no reward. Even small moves are open to criticism.

[/QUOTE]

If you don't think he'll help, fine, but the level of your angst over the move is hard to understand.

$1 million is 0.26 percent of the Sox revenue (based on revenue figures for 2012. Revenue for 2014 is likely to be even more so that percentage will be even lower). You name me one business that would be unwilling to spend gamble that little for a potential big reward even if it is a longshot.

Sizemore was once an All-Star who still just 31. With the revenue the Sox have, they would be stupid not to take a flier on a players like that. If in the end, the Sox simply flush just barely a little more than 0 percent -- it's a lot closer to 0 percent than 1 percent -- of their revenue, well so be it.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think it matters as much what JBJ does in ST this season because our FO and fans all learned from rushing him into the lineup.  If Sizemore shows signs of his old self this spring and remains healthy he will be playing much more than JBJ for obvious reasons.

Our FO signed Grady knowing we already had JBJ, Nava & Carp from the left side so (like some of us) they may not feel starting JBJ, Bogy and Middy will help sustain our run production either.  I still feel we need another good RHB, even though Carp isn't bad against lefties because his defense is weak but the FO may be content for now.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to tvfrank's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing I liked about this team last year was its versatility. During a LONG Season, you have injuries, slumps, Batters that just struggle against Certain Pitchers, and rest. Smart GM's today want Players who can play Multiple Positions. Saves Money, helps a Manager, and keeps Players Heads ready anyday for a game.
    I just cant see Ben looking to Trade, Nava or Carp. Switch Hitter, who has improved his Defense in Rightfield, A Lefthanded 1st Baseman, who can Play Outfield in a Pinch.
    And both have the right attitude in these roles, they play hard when asked. Stats doesn't show these things.

Sorry went off target, I look at Sizemore as a Triple AAA Prospect at this point.

I look at JBJ as a Triple A prospect at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Sizemore's career OBP is .376 against righties, Jacoby was .353 so he could be a huge signing.  If not it really has little risk and either way the FO will have plenty of options.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you don't think he'll help, fine, but the level of your angst over the move is hard to understand.

$1 million is 0.26 percent of the Sox revenue (based on revenue figures for 2012. Revenue for 2014 is likely to be even more so that percentage will be even lower). You name me one business that would be unwilling to spend gamble that little for a potential big reward even if it is a longshot.

Sizemore was once an All-Star who still just 31. With the revenue the Sox have, they would be stupid not to take a flier on a players like that. If in the end, the Sox simply flush just barely a little more than 0 percent -- it's a lot closer to 0 percent than 1 percent -- of their revenue, well so be it.

It's actually just $750K guaranteed.

$1.25M in roster bonuses.

$4M in performance bonuses.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am angst free about this deal. I just don't like it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's fine. I just don't see it as a big deal one way or another -- really nothing to like or not like about.

You see this all the time where a team takes a flier on a former All-Star whose career got sidetracked with injuries. Sometimes it works out, at least in the shortterm -- Saberhagen. Sometimes it doesn't -- Smoltz.

If I were to bet money, I'd bet against it. My prediction is that Sizemore shows some good things in camp then gets some kind of nagging injury that derails the comeback.

But who knows?

I'm hoping that Bradley shows he can do the job and whatever the Sox get from Sizemore is icing on the cake. If Bradley struggles, then I'm hoping Sizemore has something left, but I'm hoping that it doesn't come down to that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's actually just $750K guaranteed.

$1.25M in roster bonuses.

$4M in performance bonuses.

[/QUOTE]

Then guaranteed is even closer to 0 percent.

$750,000 is what the Sox find in their couch cushions.Money Mouth

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's fine. I just don't see it as a big deal one way or another -- really nothing to like or not like about.

You see this all the time where a team takes a flier on a former All-Star whose career got sidetracked with injuries. Sometimes it works out, at least in the shortterm -- Saberhagen. Sometimes it doesn't -- Smoltz.

If I were to bet money, I'd bet against it. My prediction is that Sizemore shows some good things in camp then gets some kind of nagging injury that derails the comeback.

But who knows?

I'm hoping that Bradley shows he can do the job and whatever the Sox get from Sizemore is icing on the cake. If Bradley struggles, then I'm hoping Sizemore has something left, but I'm hoping that it doesn't come down to that.

[/QUOTE]

Every move is up for judgement, regardless of the salaries involved. Just becasue it happens all the time doesn't mean I have to be neutral about it. If it is such a neutral move why is there such a long thread about it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Every move is up for judgement, regardless of the salaries involved. Just becasue it happens all the time doesn't mean I have to be neutral about it. If it is such a neutral move why is there such a long thread about it?

[/QUOTE]

A: Because there is nothing going on. We're like Pavlov's dog, salivating at the slightest bit of Sox news.

You're right about any move being up for judgement, but there's also reasonable reaction to a move and an overreaction.

Some of the reaction to the signing makes it sound like the Sox signed Sizemore to replace Ellsbury and signed him for big money. In that case, yes, it would deserve derision and ridicule.

But all the Sox did was bring a former All-Star to camp to see if he has anything left and paid him basically the minimum. It was good teams do. It how teams find "steals." So yeah, in that case, anyone getting worked up about it is overreacting.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

!

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ken Rosenthal       

Source confirms: Grady Sizemore to Red Sox on one-year, major-league deal. Guarantee less than $1M, bonuses can take it up to $6M.

[/QUOTE]

Can't help but feel that our skipper has some very good memories of the Cleveland days with Sizemore.  If his insight into rebounding players is as good toward Grady, we may have a really inexpensive high end contributor

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Grady Sizemore told Zach he chose to sign with Boston because of his familiarity with some members of the coaching staff, their medical game plan for him, and "I thought the Red Sox gave me the best opportunity to succeed and that's why I went with these guys."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Microfractures and surgeries to both knees, 2 sports hernia surgeries. It will be intresting to see if he can make a comeback. Not to mention Back surgery.

He had the same surgeries of Matt Kemp.  For people who were clamoring about trading for Kemp and his $120 million deal... do you not understand that Sizemore was Matt Kemp and is Kemp in four years?  Would you not risk under a mil to pick up a lottery ticket that has a high ceiling as much as Kemp... the only difference is that Kemp cashed out and both players are examples of why the Sox avoid the megadeals.

Grady had two years to finally heal up proper and with the seriousness of his injuries time is the only thing that can heal.  If he can't make it through spring training, I can see the guy just flat out retire.  If he does making it through spring healthy and productive, I see him as being on metered playing time and the DL to start the year so the Sox can see him play against lesser competition and stash him at extended spring training.  He has been out of baseball so long, you can't just jack the guy into the bigs!

What I am hoping for as an upside is a Mike Carp player, but for the outfield.  A player who the team will put in a better position to succeed by limited duties at the right time for 200 at bats per year.  His workload will be at most three times per week for the first half of the season until we see how his injuries respond to the continual grind.  This team was willing to work with Rocco Baldelli and take a gamble with the last roster spot on a high upside limited role player... they are usually pretty good at it.  See Kevin Millar who was on the plane to Japan and Meuller who was left for dead with his knees... dare I bring up Big Papi?  Sometimes if you hit big, it really pays out is the point.

What gives me hope is that the Sox were able to manage Victorino's chronic injuries better than Philly did and got a superb year out of him.  There is one thing with watching Grady workout for teams, it is another to manage the grind of baseball for a whole year and into the post season.  The knees are certainly the major concern and his back surgeries.  The same concerns are there for Matt Kemp for HUGE money... if people can't see this, then I hope you do now.  The Sox got rid of a pitcher who at most would be the last guy in the bullpen for a possible position where they are much more thin with depth.

If he has a great year and turns into shades of what he used to be, you can sign him to take over for Gomes in left or QO him and take the draft pick for the player like we did with Beltre.  One and done with great production in a 'show me contract' situation and the Sox net a sandwich pick.

After saying all that... Grady Sizemore has a greater chance of getting cut from the Red Sox than he does of making the roster to start the season IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

After saying all that... Grady Sizemore has a greater chance of getting cut from the Red Sox than he does of making the roster to start the season IMO.

If I had to bet, I'd agree, but the gamble was still a good one. The upside potential is too high.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

He was on the phone today with MLB Network, Harold Reynolds asked him, "What Baseball Activities did you do for Teams that Scouted you?" He said he really hasn't done too much, as far as Fielding, or Swinging the bat. He was mostly trying to show them, that he is pretty much Phiscally ready to go into Spring Training.
    He said he has lot of catching up to do as far as timing, stamina, getting his arm and legs in shape.
    I like the guy, just lets not think were getting the 22-25 year old Sizemore. Good kid to have around always played hard, I'm sure he'll help.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

He was on the phone today with MLB Network, Harold Reynolds asked him, "What Baseball Activities did you do for Teams that Scouted you?" He said he really hasn't done too much, as far as Fielding, or Swinging the bat. He was mostly trying to show them, that he is pretty much Phiscally ready to go into Spring Training.
    He said he has lot of catching up to do as far as timing, stamina, getting his arm and legs in shape.
    I like the guy, just lets not think were getting the 22-25 year old Sizemore. Good kid to have around always played hard, I'm sure he'll help.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he'd go along with a phantom rehab assignment, if needed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Thats my guess, JBJ starts the Season, and see how things are going with Grady. If he feels fine physically after Spring Training.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he'd go along with a phantom rehab assignment, if needed.

[/QUOTE]

I think this is a strong possibility, i would guess this is the plan.  Bradley always has options too, so if he still looks like he needs more time and sizemore looks healthy they can easily send JBJ down and bring Sizemore up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

If he can still hit, and has trouble staying on the Field (bad Knees), might be a Back-up plan for DH.
    Not trying to start I'm against Papi, just a possibility.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

If he can still hit, and has trouble staying on the Field (bad Knees), might be a Back-up plan for DH.
    Not trying to start I'm against Papi, just a possibility.

[/QUOTE]

I think Sizemore with a splint on his leg would still be a better fielder than Gomes in LF, so I'd say Gomes and carp are the back-up DHs, then maybe Nava, Cecchini, or Betts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

been off the board for a while but i just wanted to add my 2 cents that i love this signing....all upside imo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Grady Sizemore - OF -  Red Sox

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Saturday that Grady Sizemore (knee) is already running the bases at full speed.

Farrell also noted that he could be ready to play in time for the team's first spring training contest next week. While he's as massive of an injury risk as they come, if Sizemore can prove his health this spring and earn a starting spot in the Red Sox outfield, he'd make for a very intriguing gamble in fantasy drafts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Not sure he will/can make it back...........   But, as DAD would say.......... "SON, what the heck do you know, you had BIG PAPI in a walker last year and he surprised the HEEL out of you" !!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

Ken Rosenthal       

Source confirms: Grady Sizemore to Red Sox on one-year, major-league deal. Guarantee less than $1M, bonuses can take it up to $6M.

[/QUOTE]

Grady could be a real difference maker after losing Jacoby.  A strong healthy season from Grady would also give JBJ more time to develop without the added pressure of trying to replace Jacoby's stats right away.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

[QUOTE]

Ken Rosenthal       

Grady could be a real difference maker after losing Jacoby.  A strong healthy season from Grady would also give JBJ more time to develop without the added pressure of trying to replace Jacoby's stats right away.

[/QUOTE]COGGLINS LAW ..........  "More time to develop, is overrated" !!!!! Play the KID NOW !!!!

Sections
Shortcuts