In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Kingface12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

[/QUOTE]

JBJ is headed to AAA.

[/QUOTE]

I am far from a JBJ fan and think he will be WAY over his head filling shoes that he can NEVER fill......however, talk about a big kick in the crotch if you're JBJ!!  "You're our 3rd ranked prospect....but we think we need to bring in a player that hasnt played more than 30 games in 3 years to compete with you"..........ouch.

[/QUOTE]

They had both Igelias and Borgaerts and signed Drew.

[/QUOTE]

You know the response already.....but I'll type it so my self esteem goes up. 

Iggy was downright HORRIBLE in 2012.  The 'future SS of the Boston Red Sox' job was his......but he gave Ben NOTHING to prove that he could handle it.  The best available SS was Drew who was coming off injury and wanted to prove himself on a 1 year deal.  Ben signed him....he helped us win the WS and the rest is history.  Boggy at the time was in AA and simply not ready AT THE TIME to take over the SS job.  Mentioning Boggy and 1 year of Drew in the same sentence back in 2012 is simply silly....and you know that as you are a good poster.

My self esteem just sky rocketed.....thank you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

Jenny Dell/NESN      

Red Sox have signed OF Grady Sizemore to a 1-year contract. To make room on the 40-man roster, Villarreal has been DFA'd.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to bosoxhero2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

[/QUOTE]

sizemore if healthy has better running skills than Gomes,Carp or Nava.he was a great prospect when coming up.So like another post i had you don't just lose the skills.they diminish but you don't lose them.Now package a Carp and a starter.you get a great player.

[/QUOTE]

If Sizemore can play like he did in 2008 then this deal is a good one...or if, as you say, they package Carp and Dempster for a RHH power OF or insurance at 3B then this makes sense. The way it is right now, I don't like it.

[/QUOTE]

Dempster and Carp will net you nothing more than another backup outfielder/backup infielder/relief pitcher/B level prospect.  The money those two are costing us right now almost makes them untadeable AS A PACKAGE unless we pay a bunch of money.  Ask yourself this:  would you trade a power RHH in the OF for Dempster and Carp??  a lot depends on your definition of a 'Power hitting RHH'......but surely the answer is "NO"!!!

[/QUOTE]

We have enough prospects in the minors to sweeten the deal significantly. Lavarnway is another chip that could be included, for example.

[/QUOTE]

This isn't 'fantasy basebal'.  Ok....so you deal Dempster, Carp, Lavarnway and maybe a Renauldo or Brentz......still...WHO ARE YOU GOING TO GET????  Who would take on that much money in Dempster and Carp....plus a plummeting prospect in Lavarnway and the teams 12th best prospect for a consistent STARTING POWER BAT IN THE OUTFIELD???????   NOBODY!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 1h

#RedSox announce one-year deal with OF Grady Sizemore. RHP Brayan Villarreal DFA'd.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

wow surprised Grady secured more than a split contract. I would have to assume with all the missed time, if he can prove health, he would need some time in AAA. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has been out of baseball for two years with a variety of injuries of the knees and back. Its okay but I would be more impressed with Giancarlo Stanton being traded to us. 

[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way Al.  I also would be more pleased if we had traded Mike Carp for Stanton. But then, life isn't fair.

[/QUOTE]

What's not fair is that you keep coming back.......you're kind of like an STD......

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Bradley isn't going anywhere.

The Sox aren't looking for Sizemore to be an every day player. If he's healthy, he'll provide depth in CF in case Bradley struggles. The CF job is Bradley's to lose. But the Sox don't want to move Victorino to CF, so Sizemore gives them another outfielder who can play CF. It's likely that if Sizemore shows in the spring that he's healthy and can be productive, the Sox probably would trade Carp, whose contract won't be hard to move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

Does this possibly spell the end of Mike Carp? Are we really going to carry Sizemore/Gomes(Or Nava whoever you consider the backup.)/Carp? Unless the Red Sox plan on using Carp as strictly a backup 1st Baseman. However then again, we do have Nava who can play some backup 1st Base when Napoli needs a day off. I say Carp because I know I heard there are teams that want him, and are willing to give up a decent package for him. Thoughts?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does this possibly spell the end of Mike Carp? Are we really going to carry Sizemore/Gomes(Or Nava whoever you consider the backup.)/Carp? Unless the Red Sox plan on using Carp as strictly a backup 1st Baseman. However then again, we do have Nava who can play some backup 1st Base when Napoli needs a day off. I say Carp because I know I heard there are teams that want him, and are willing to give up a decent package for him. Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

A 'decent package' for our pinch hitter??  Care to elaborate on this package?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to JohnnyLefty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A 'decent package' for our pinch hitter??  Care to elaborate on this package?

[/QUOTE]

• Red Sox first baseman/outfielder Mike Carp could still be dealt before Opening Day,reports Jason Mastrodonato of MassLive.com. Though Boston has reportedly held out for a substantial return for Carp, and the club values the depth he provies, he might be worth more to other clubs who could deploy him more regularly.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/al-east-notes-carp-lester-arroyo-jays-rodriguez.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Roy, the voice of reason as usual. I agree entirely with J-Bay thar Roy is one of our most cerebral posters.

[/QUOTE]

Is this a thread about Sizemore or Roy? Just wondering.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Roy is the Grady Sizemore of BDC, he hasn't put up anything good in two years, but he used to be an all star. :)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Roy is the Grady Sizemore of BDC, he hasn't put up anything good in two years, but he used to be an all star. :)

[/QUOTE]

I've been hurt. My fingers keep going on the DL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

The post office says posting about posters is antipostal. Your AARP savings do not have to be counted as "income" this year. The IRS wants to know why you paid $1.5M for Paul Householder.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've been hurt. My fingers keep going on the DL.

[/QUOTE]

LOL, crack me up.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Love this move. Hopefully he shows up ready and healthy for the season. Nothing to lose for us and everything to gain for Sizemore.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe Carp will be dealt, and Nava (or Middy/Papi) will be the back-up 1Bman.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Our rather strange post season continues. It seems like we are hoping to catch a break without spending much. Maybe it will work. Who knows?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He has been out of baseball for two years with a variety of injuries of the knees and back. Its okay but I would be more impressed with Giancarlo Stanton being traded to us. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is being done to set up a Sizemore for Stanton trade.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.

[/QUOTE]

Would take a lot more than this to land Stanton.  A lot more.