Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Our rather strange post season continues. It seems like we are hoping to catch a break without spending much. Maybe it will work. Who knows?

Lightening in a bottle

That must be the opposite of Grecian Formula. (Lightening, LOL)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Yes, the idea of trading Sizemore for Stanton was also confusing to me.  Perhaps more tongue in cheek?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Our rather strange post season continues. It seems like we are hoping to catch a break without spending much. Maybe it will work. Who knows?

Dollar amount means nothing. It's a matter of having good players. Why should the Sox spend just to spend? They still will have one of the top payrolls in baseball. And where should they spend money?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nice signing...nothing to lose.

I'm not going to spend any time worrying where he fits relative to JBJ or anyone else right now...let's see him start the season healthy first.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like the deal, but I'm surprised he got an MLB contract.

To those complaining about this deal just remember that you still have to make the small moves too.

Perhaps a smaller role will help ease him back into baseball.  He is not being signed to send JBJ back to pawtucket, I suspect he could replace Carp on the roster at some point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

Exactly. And why has he been so injury prone?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

For that much money, he can be cut in a heartbeat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

if he doesn't pan out they can release him, they aren't signing this guy to start and play 162 games and the financial commitment is minimum.

If he stays healthy the upside is 10 fold the cost.

This isn't a big sexy move....but you have to make the small moves too, you have to find the low risk high upside buys, and you got to fill out the roster from Boston down to Lowell.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

GI AL somehow brought Stanton into this discussion and that was ridiculous. Doesn't anyone read the entire thread anymore? Amazing.

Uhhh... I think Stanton was brought into the discussion as a joke.  At least I treated it that way!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Interesting, exciting, former GREAT player signing at a potential position of need for very little. Of course, Willie Mays could fit that criteria too.

I wish he was right handed. Would have made a lot more sense.

He was one of the 2-3 best players in baseball between 2006-2008. However, that was 6 seasons ago.

Negatives....Can he even play CF anymore? I remember him as a pull hitter unfortunately. And he could cost a solid amount if he stays on the team.

The best things that can be said is that it only cost us Villareal. He has great righty splits, so he could platoon with somebody[not JBJ though] and you would assume he impressed in workouts to some degree.

I just don't see him in CF anymore. So he would likely take the Nava role with either Carp or Nava gone. If we trade Carp, then Nava takes the Carp role. Plus he could play JBJ insurance with Victorino playing CF.

Add it all up though and I am not sure I see the point unless we get good trade value for Carp or you don't believe in JBJ.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Maybe we can also sign Johan Santana and start a collection of guys we really wished we had around 2007-08.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's only $1M. He could end up being cut loose, if it doesn't work out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Yes, the idea of trading Sizemore for Stanton was also confusing to me.  Perhaps more tongue in cheek?

ding ding ding...we have a winner, give the man a prize. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

i agree completely. It was a cheap signing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Bradley isn't going anywhere.

The Sox aren't looking for Sizemore to be an every day player. If he's healthy, he'll provide depth in CF in case Bradley struggles. The CF job is Bradley's to lose. But the Sox don't want to move Victorino to CF, so Sizemore gives them another outfielder who can play CF. It's likely that if Sizemore shows in the spring that he's healthy and can be productive, the Sox probably would trade Carp, whose contract won't be hard to move.

I disagree this is the type of signing you make when you are trying to hedge your bets. I feel the only JBJ is the starting CFer opening is if JBJ excels and Sizemore falters. If both excel Sizemore starts JBJ is the 25th man on the roster. If both falter Sizemore starts and JBJ is in Pawtucket for a few weeks, and if Sizemore excels and JBJ falters JBJ spends awhile in Pawtucket.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Bradley isn't going anywhere.

The Sox aren't looking for Sizemore to be an every day player. If he's healthy, he'll provide depth in CF in case Bradley struggles. The CF job is Bradley's to lose. But the Sox don't want to move Victorino to CF, so Sizemore gives them another outfielder who can play CF. It's likely that if Sizemore shows in the spring that he's healthy and can be productive, the Sox probably would trade Carp, whose contract won't be hard to move.

Bradley has not proved one bit that he can hit at the major league level. I am concerned about Bradley not being what the management thinks he is. Defensively he is good but he has a lot to prove as a hitter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:

Love this move. Hopefully he shows up ready and healthy for the season. Nothing to lose for us and everything to gain for Sizemore.

The guy is constantly hurt so do not get your hopes high. He is an example of another major league player trying to hang on and make money when his career is over. Would not have signed Sizemore to anything more than a minor league deal. It is a boring signing to what has been an uneventful off season. The Yankees have spent a lot of money and have improved.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to bosoxhero2's comment:

sizemore if healthy has better running skills than Gomes,Carp or Nava.he was a great prospect when coming up.So like another post i had you don't just lose the skills.they diminish but you don't lose them.Now package a Carp and a starter.you get a great player.

If Sizemore can play like he did in 2008 then this deal is a good one...or if, as you say, they package Carp and Dempster for a RHH power OF or insurance at 3B then this makes sense. The way it is right now, I don't like it.

Dempster and Carp will net you nothing more than another backup outfielder/backup infielder/relief pitcher/B level prospect.  The money those two are costing us right now almost makes them untadeable AS A PACKAGE unless we pay a bunch of money.  Ask yourself this:  would you trade a power RHH in the OF for Dempster and Carp??  a lot depends on your definition of a 'Power hitting RHH'......but surely the answer is "NO"!!!

We have enough prospects in the minors to sweeten the deal significantly. Lavarnway is another chip that could be included, for example.

This isn't 'fantasy basebal'.  Ok....so you deal Dempster, Carp, Lavarnway and maybe a Renauldo or Brentz......still...WHO ARE YOU GOING TO GET????  Who would take on that much money in Dempster and Carp....plus a plummeting prospect in Lavarnway and the teams 12th best prospect for a consistent STARTING POWER BAT IN THE OUTFIELD???????   NOBODY!!!!!!

I understand Demps makes 13 million this year,  but you do know Carp just got a raise up to a whopping v1.4 million for hitting .296 in 86 games.  Nickels & dimes in the baseball world.

I'd keep him as a super-sub for 1B & the OF at that cost.   He's a highly touted 1st round draft prospect that just might be a late bloomer.  At this cost he's a keeper as long as he wants to wear a Sox uni.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

He's only 31, made 3 consecutive All star games and was at one time, considered one of the best all around players. As far as being out of the game for a few years, so was Josh Hamilton. If the talent is there, it's there 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Nobody has high hopes about Sizemore, he is just insurance or perhaps trade bait at a later time should he prove that he can still play. Right Al?

Al, Jose is PIKE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Nobody has high hopes about Sizemore, he is just insurance or perhaps trade bait at a later time should he prove that he can still play. Right Al?

Al, Jose is PIKE

He assaulted SoxyJim earlier. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good to see the usual Negative Nellies still finding stuff to complain about.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

1. J.B. ‏@besosa_cule881h

@PeteAbe like the move Pete?

Expand  
    2. Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe59m

@besosa_cule88 very little riskPeteAbe

3m

Extra Bases has a full report on the #RedSox signing Grady Sizemore. Quotes from Farrell, Sizemore, etc.: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/ 

Sections
Shortcuts