Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

Nobody has high hopes about Sizemore, he is just insurance or perhaps trade bait at a later time should he prove that he can still play. Right Al?

Al, Jose is PIKE

He assaulted SoxyJim earlier. 

He targets and baits posters, who he thinks aren't aware of who he is

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

A good signing if Grady is healthy enough to play CF. He was a solid All-star level CF 'er before the injuries. If he thinks he's ready and Ben and the Sox checked him out, then I have no problem with the signing.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's only $1M. He could end up being cut loose, if it doesn't work out.

I wish I could afford to just cut loose of a million. Hell, I wish I had a million TO cut loose. Kind of keeps things in perspective.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Grady Sizemore Eager To Get Back To Baseball By  Zach Links [January 22 at 8:19pm CST]

Earlier tonight, the Red Sox agreed to sign Grady Sizemore to a one-year, $750K deal that could balloon to $6MM if he reaches all of his incentives.  The three-time All-Star was once the face of the Indians franchise but thanks to some unfortunate injuries, he hasn't been on the field since 2011.  Sizemore finally felt ready to come back and multiple teams came calling this winter when Sizemore's reps at CAA Sports put out word that their client was healthy and ready to return to baseball.  The Reds, in fact, seemed right on the cusp of inking him to a contract until earlier today, when GM Walt Jocketty said in a radio interview that a dealwouldn't be happening.  However, when I asked Sizemore how close he was to donning a Reds jersey, he downplayed the seriousness of that talk.

"Honestly, I was talking with multiple teams and I was kind of exploring every option that I could," Sizemore said on this evening's conference call. "In the end, I thought the Red Sox gave me the best opportunity to succeed and that's why I went with these guys."

The Red Sox, Sizemore said, have been talking to him since the start of the offseason, but things truly ramped up in the last "two or three weeks."  I asked Sizemore what made the Red Sox the most attractive option of any club and he explained that his familiarity with a few members of the Boston staff coupled with the medical game plan that they laid out for him made them the winner.

One might assume that the opportunity to play center field appealed to Sizemore but he says that he didn't have a positional preference, just a desire to get significant playing time.  More than anything, Sizemore sounds like a player who is thrilled to finally be on the path back to MLB. 

"It's been frustrating.  No one likes to deal with injuries and I've had my fair share.  Hopefully that's behind me now.  I'm just looking forward to moving on and starting the second half of my career."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

It's a low risk low reward move if you ask me. Grady is a decent, if unspectacular, player when healthy. But he just has a body ill equipped for everyday MLB play, and I'm quite certain being out of baseball for 2 yrs and being 2 yrs older will not help. Not his fault perhaps, but that's irrelevant when discussing his value to our team and whether or not he deserves a roster spot. Clearly we could get what he offers from any one of hundreds of AA and AAA outfielders who might actually stay healthy for a full season. It's Ben's 1st "move just so I can say I made a move", and I don't like it. But I have also admitted here I have been greatly impressed with Cherington thus far, and think he deserves room to operate. I didn't think we had the horses to win it all last season, and I was happily wrong. I'm open to that possibility here too. We are weaker than last season having lost our stud leadoff hitter, and have left ourselves vulnerable to Bradley+Middlebrooks both failing to perform at the same time. I just don't see how adding a guy we might get 50 games from helps this. But again, I respect Ben and what he's accomplished so far. I will try to think positively....I promise!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Thanks Moon.  Be nice if this turned into a great comeback story. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

I understand Demps makes 13 million this year,  but you do know Carp just got a raise up to a whopping v1.4 million for hitting .296 in 86 games.  Nickels & dimes in the baseball world.

I'd keep him as a super-sub for 1B & the OF at that cost.   He's a highly touted 1st round draft prospect that just might be a late bloomer.  At this cost he's a keeper as long as he wants to wear a Sox uni.

Mike Carp was a ninth-round pick in the 2004 draft and was never ranked among Baseball America's Top 100 prospects. In fact, Baseball America never ranked Carp among Seattle's Top 10 prospects, although in 2007 Carp ranked eighth among prospects in a weak New York Mets farm system.

Carp was impressive in his 2013 performance, but the 27-year-old was neither a high draft pick nor highly touted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to bosoxhero2's comment:

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

sizemore if healthy has better running skills than Gomes,Carp or Nava.he was a great prospect when coming up.So like another post i had you don't just lose the skills.they diminish but you don't lose them.Now package a Carp and a starter.you get a great player.

If Sizemore can play like he did in 2008 then this deal is a good one...or if, as you say, they package Carp and Dempster for a RHH power OF or insurance at 3B then this makes sense. The way it is right now, I don't like it.

Well, he hasn't played since 2011. So, I'll take a flyer that 2 years of purely focusing on getting in top physical shape may just get him even to 75-80 percent of what he was.  

He is 32, only a year older than Ellsbury, so he's got incentive.  Worse that can happen?  They let him go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I wish I could afford to just cut loose of a million. Hell, I wish I had a million TO cut loose. Kind of keeps things in perspective.

Yeah!  Good point.  It just amues me the way most posters talk about throwing millions of dollars around like it's monopoly money....when most probably never made a fraction of it over their lifetime.

I've come to the conclusion that many posters are in some fantasy mode and completely delusional....completely lost touch with reality.

I think I need a break from this fantasy-land.  I just don't need to read some of the rediculous trade suggestions...salary suggestions etc.

Thank goodness for a post like yours which happens every so often.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i find it interesting how people are looking at it as sizemore vs bradley for the CF spot when sizemore could play LF if they both look good in spring training. nava and gomes are not established enough players that they should automatically retain their platoon roles for this upcoming season. I find it funny how their stats get lumped together and people go on about how productive LF was for us last year. But heres the problem with that way of thinking, they dont play at the same time. If we had a LF who hit .278 with 25 homers and 118 rbi then we would be set. But when you have 2 guys each producing individually that is a different story. Gomes for example being the right handed half of the platoon was supposed to mash lefties. Last year he hit only .236 with more k's (46) than hits (38). Nava hit well against righties but defensively was pretty bad last year and is more of a 1B/DH than LF/RF. He post a -17.0 UZR in the OF last year,  gomes had a -8.3 UZR primarily in LF. Even just watching them play, you could see how little range they both have and nava struggles with his ability to track down balls as well. Gomes is slow but takes good routes to the ball. Having a starting outfield of sizemore, bradley, and victorino could be the best defensively in the mlb. gomes and nava are much better suited to be back ups as gomes would provide a right bat with pop off the bench and nava while being a weak defender can "play" LF, RF, and 1B and is a switch hitter. Keeping sizemore in LF could also help keep him healthy and put less wear on his knees. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to MustangBri's comment:

I understand Demps makes 13 million this year,  but you do know Carp just got a raise up to a whopping v1.4 million for hitting .296 in 86 games.  Nickels & dimes in the baseball world.

I'd keep him as a super-sub for 1B & the OF at that cost.   He's a highly touted 1st round draft prospect that just might be a late bloomer.  At this cost he's a keeper as long as he wants to wear a Sox uni.

Mike Carp was a ninth-round pick in the 2004 draft and was never ranked among Baseball America's Top 100 prospects. In fact, Baseball America never ranked Carp among Seattle's Top 10 prospects, although in 2007 Carp ranked eighth among prospects in a weak New York Mets farm system.

Carp was impressive in his 2013 performance, but the 27-year-old was neither a high draft pick nor highly touted.

Yet he had pretty good Minor League numbers. I remember seeing him in Double AA, he was not bad. In fact smoked a HR, in stadium I saw him at. I bet the Mets wouldn't mind him back.
    As far as Sizemore, nice signing, but I'm npt going to get too excited at this moment. Wait and see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

I'm not seeing the fit either.  He doesn't really platoon well with either JBJ or Vic, and Nava platoons with Gomes.  And if he stays, someone else goes.  The only things I can think of is that, as you mention, they have another move in mind, or maybe they think Vic won't be ready.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Yeah!  Good point.  It just amues me the way most posters talk about throwing millions of dollars around like it's monopoly money....when most probably never made a fraction of it over their lifetime.

I've come to the conclusion that many posters are in some fantasy mode and completely delusional....completely lost touch with reality.

I think I need a break from this fantasy-land.  I just don't need to read some of the rediculous trade suggestions...salary suggestions etc.

Thank goodness for a post like yours which happens every so often.

So...are you denying that $750K (while a lot of money to most of us Joe Shmoes posting on a message board) is virtually nothing to a baseball team with the payroll and resources of the Red Sox?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Bradley isn't going anywhere.

The Sox aren't looking for Sizemore to be an every day player. If he's healthy, he'll provide depth in CF in case Bradley struggles. The CF job is Bradley's to lose. But the Sox don't want to move Victorino to CF, so Sizemore gives them another outfielder who can play CF. It's likely that if Sizemore shows in the spring that he's healthy and can be productive, the Sox probably would trade Carp, whose contract won't be hard to move.

I disagree this is the type of signing you make when you are trying to hedge your bets. I feel the only JBJ is the starting CFer opening is if JBJ excels and Sizemore falters. If both excel Sizemore starts JBJ is the 25th man on the roster. If both falter Sizemore starts and JBJ is in Pawtucket for a few weeks, and if Sizemore excels and JBJ falters JBJ spends awhile in Pawtucket.

He has not played since 2011 and hasn't been fully healthy since 2008...I'm not going to count on him taking anyone's job away just yet. The way I see it, Bradley still has the inside track and the onus is on Sizemore to prove he is healthy and that he can be something close to the player he once was. If he can do both of those things, then all bets are off, but after all this time it's a big "if."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

He has been out of baseball for two years with a variety of injuries of the knees and back. Its okay but I would be more impressed with Giancarlo Stanton being traded to us. 

I feel the same way Al.  I also would be more pleased if we had traded Mike Carp for Stanton. But then, life isn't fair.

Yup,  Stanton deal has to include Nava whatsoever.  Nava, Carp, and PTBL for Stanton will at least open their ears.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I'm serious about my disappointment on this happening. I would have been much happier if today's news was a deal to acquire Stanton. I fully agree with AL34. We already have too many outfielders.  Just yesterday I tried to trade in my Honda for a Rolls Royce and the guy at the dealership threw me out. 

Biggest problem is the CF, not the offense.   That is why Ben C. need a CF case Bradley struggles again at the same time Farrell probably do not want Victorino to spend too much time in the CF.

If Sizemore struggles too, Boston will only lose 750,000 dollars, and still are able to find another CF in the market.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

nava and gomes are not established enough players that they should automatically retain their platoon roles for this upcoming season.

Seriously?  Nava was in the top 10 in a number of categories for outfielders!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Carp will eventually be traded if Sizemore can stay on the field by the end of ST which will make Nava as 1B/OF backup.  I'm sure Nava's playing time will not be reduced backing up Napoli AND one of the OF.  If Sizemore can prove he can stay on the field, I think he will be named as our starting LF.  That's 3 GGs in the outfield at the same time.  Sizemore's addition provides another deep depth and options.  Great addition by BC.  

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At $1M, Grady could turn out to be the steal of the year. Of course, he could be cut at some point as well, but there's a chance he could be marginally helpful as a LF defenhsive replacement late in games, or better yet, come close to his numbers from 2005-2008. 

Grady had 4 consecutive fine seasons, so he certainly has talent, when healthy. 625 PAs each one of those seasons and the best OF WAR at +26.8.

.281/.372/.496/.868

107 HRs (27 per season)

195 2B+3B (49 per season)

That's about 76 EBHs per season ability.

At age 31, it's not unrealistic to think he may approach those numbers again, if healthy and given the chance to get 600+ PAs.

From 2009-2011, although injured for much of the time, Grady still had 84 XBHs in 832 ABs.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

posted at 1/22/2014 6:53 PM EST

In response to AL34's comment:

He has been out of baseball for two years with a variety of injuries of the knees and back. Its okay but I would be more impressed with Giancarlo Stanton being traded to us. 

Maybe this is being done to set up a Sizemore for Stanton trade.  Laughing. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

No prize for you, Pike. The tougue in cheek post, referencing the Sizemore/Stanton trade, was by S5, but keep trying 

Sections
Shortcuts