Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Xandah_Boegahts. Show Xandah_Boegahts's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

Pike.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pike is a prize.

Yeah, a booobeee prize.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox did not bring him in to start.  If they feel confident in his ability to stay healthy I still don't think he will return to the player he was several years ago and play full time....anyone who thinks that and that he was brought in to start because JBJ is not ready is just not paying attention.

It's a low cost, high upside move to bring in a guy to see if he can back up CF/RF and if it doesn't look like he can I suspect he will be cut before opening day.

You gotta make the smaller moves too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Ken Rosenthal       

Source confirms: Grady Sizemore to Red Sox on one-year, major-league deal. Guarantee less than $1M, bonuses can take it up to $6M.

I like the move better than JBJ if Grady can stay healthy.

In other words we now have a backup/starting CF who will probably hit righties more like Nava and better than JBJ, with more power than either.  So why don't we just start Grady in CF if he can still play and keep JBJ at AAA and under team control a bit longer?

Our present OF career against lefties

Grady LHH - 227 ba, 315 obp

JBJ LHH - 0.80 ba, 207 obp

Nava LHH - 223 ba, 307 obp

Carp LHH - 295 ba, 337 obp - Horrible OF defense

Gomes RHH 277 ba, 377 obp - only 223 ba, 347 obp for Boston

Victorino SWH 303 ba, 373 obp

My guess is Grady and JBJ will still platoon before making any real move to the minors.  If JBJ plays well Grady becomes a pretty good backup. 

Low risk not bad!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

This was done simply to knock the tanaka signing off the front pages.

<sarc>

for the record - i am perfectly fine with this low risk/low cost signing.  maybe he comes back hungry / healthy / something to prove.  that could equate to big reward.

maybe he comes back and his legs fall off.  that equates to minimal loss ($750k).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Ken Rosenthal       

Source confirms: Grady Sizemore to Red Sox on one-year, major-league deal. Guarantee less than $1M, bonuses can take it up to $6M.

Everyone cpmplained about Ells being hurt and not staying on the field. We didn't need him because he would always break down anyways.Sizemore wow ! Both knees , How many times? operation on back Wow ...How many herina ops? He's a walking hospital. Already talking about how to manage games he could play? But low risk and one year maybe could work ? Still think it's a waste of money.Rather Healthy player you don't have to baby through the season. Don't like ... Hope i'm wrong.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think a realistic best case scanerio is that Sizemore can stay healthy and become a good part time player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the Sox cut him in spring training I believe the cost is even less than $750,000

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If the Sox cut him in spring training I believe the cost is even less than $750,000

750,00, plus incentives, which could net up to 6 million 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

I'm not seeing the fit either.  He doesn't really platoon well with either JBJ or Vic, and Nava platoons with Gomes.  And if he stays, someone else goes.  The only things I can think of is that, as you mention, they have another move in mind, or maybe they think Vic won't be ready.

It's a low risk/high reward signing that could turn out to be a steal, as some have mentioned.  I'm also certain they wanted to bring in someone who could "push" Bradley, as a little competition is healthy.  Also, from a marketing perspective, they just lost their number one draw with their female audience (Ellsbury) & Sizemore was as big as it gets with the female fan base in Cleveland.  This type of thing might make the baseball purists want to throw up, but baseball is still a business at the end of the day.  

Sizemore also spent 5 years in Cleveland with Farrell, who knows his character & work ethic.  The funny thing is that if he was an outfielder who no one ever heard of and the Sox gave him $750K to compete for a spot in spring training, no one would blink.  

He may be a longshot, but for $750,000, it's well worth the risk.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Yes, but if we end up paying him more than $750,000 that means he is playing, which may mean he is healthy.  Either way it is up to 6 million.  I'm' not worried about this deal.  The financial impact is effectively nothing. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I like the contract.  A low base + incentives to bring him up to a "reasonable" (Hah!) salary.  Although I haven't seen the details I'd have to guess that he'd almost have to be a full time player to reach the $6M though.  Which IMO is fair.

It somewhat reminds me of Drew's contract last year.  A one year deal at "low" cost to give the player a chance to prove he still belongs in baseball. The Drew contract turned out to be a win/win and this one could too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Has any info regarding what exactly the incentives in his contract are?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to JoseLaguna's comment:

In response to S5's comment:

GI AL somehow brought Stanton into this discussion and that was ridiculous. Doesn't anyone read the entire thread anymore? Amazing.

Uhhh... I think Stanton was brought into the discussion as a joke.  At least I treated it that way!

THE POST IMMEDIATELY ABOVE THIS ONE IS MADE BY S5. I APPLAUD IT. IT GETS A +100.

IT READS, "Uhhh... I think Stanton was brought into the discussion as a joke.  At least I treated it that way!

I COMPLEMENTED S5 FOR THAT COMMENT. UNDERSTAND?

Damn!  And I was all set to take the credit for AL's original post, too.  :-( 

LOL

Jose, or Pike, or whatever your name is...lighten up a bit. It's all in fun. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Carp's career splits against Lefthanded Starters and relievers is .280 which is not bad. Not bad at all. With a .287 career avg. at Fenway. Taylor made swing for this park, versatile, I dont understand why he would be in any Trade discussions.

Had one of the biggest Clutch hits in Tampa, with that Grand Slam, in middle of pennant race. You can see the Rays Players faces just droop after that hit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

This was done simply to knock the tanaka signing off the front pages.

<sarc>

for the record - i am perfectly fine with this low risk/low cost signing.  maybe he comes back hungry / healthy / something to prove.  that could equate to big reward.

maybe he comes back and his legs fall off.  that equates to minimal loss ($750k).

to me he was always the OF version of Brian Roberts, like Roberts, Sizemore was some kind of player before he got on the injury track...team aside..i'm hoping he has something left, he was fun to watch when he was right..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Xandah_Boegahts. Show Xandah_Boegahts's posts

In response to S5's comment:

GI AL somehow brought Stanton into this discussion and that was ridiculous. Doesn't anyone read the entire thread anymore? Amazing.

Uhhh... I think Stanton was brought into the discussion as a joke.  At least I treated it that way!

THE POST IMMEDIATELY ABOVE THIS ONE IS MADE BY S5. I APPLAUD IT. IT GETS A +100.

IT READS, "Uhhh... I think Stanton was brought into the discussion as a joke.  At least I treated it that way!

I COMPLEMENTED S5 FOR THAT COMMENT. UNDERSTAND?

Pike.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's only $1M. He could end up being cut loose, if it doesn't work out.

I wish I could afford to just cut loose of a million. Hell, I wish I had a million TO cut loose. Kind of keeps things in perspective.

Yeah!  Good point.  It just amues me the way most posters talk about throwing millions of dollars around like it's monopoly money....when most probably never made a fraction of it over their lifetime.

I've come to the conclusion that many posters are in some fantasy mode and completely delusional....completely lost touch with reality.

You need to put things in context. Yes, $1 million is a lot of money to you and me, but in context of the Red Sox payroll and budget it's relatively nothing.

$1 million is less than 1 percent (about .59 percent) of the Sox payroll. And if you're talking about revenue that the Sox make, it's considerably less than .59 percent. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

Yes, the idea of trading Sizemore for Stanton was also confusing to me.  Perhaps more tongue in cheek?

ding ding ding...we have a winner, give the man a prize. 

+100

J-Bay gets it. Al's act is TONGUE-IN-CHEEK.

What do we learn from this?

Don't take AL34 seriously in the future.

MY POST IS COMPLIMENTING J-BAY ON SAYING THAT AL34'S COMMENT WAS "TONGUE-IN-CHEEK". GOT IT?

You really are one creepy guy.  Everytime you go off your meds and get all creepy....I feel as if I need a shower.....

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Bradley isn't going anywhere.

The Sox aren't looking for Sizemore to be an every day player. If he's healthy, he'll provide depth in CF in case Bradley struggles. The CF job is Bradley's to lose. But the Sox don't want to move Victorino to CF, so Sizemore gives them another outfielder who can play CF. It's likely that if Sizemore shows in the spring that he's healthy and can be productive, the Sox probably would trade Carp, whose contract won't be hard to move.

Bradley has not proved one bit that he can hit at the major league level. I am concerned about Bradley not being what the management thinks he is. Defensively he is good but he has a lot to prove as a hitter.

Well no rookie has proven he can hit major league level pitching until they get the chance.

107 plate appearances is hardly a fair sample size to make a determination. It is worth nothing that in his first go-around (April) he had 38 PA and batted .097 and in his last go-around (Sept.), he had 41 PA and batted .243. (OBP, SLG, OPS were all improved too of course).

It's hardly enough to be confident in that he'll be OK this year, but it is positive to see the improvement. Not every player is going to hit the ground running. Hopefully, last year was the growing pains that a young player will go through.

Bradley doesn't have to be Ellsbury. He just needs to be a solid player who contributes. 

The Sizemore signing gives the team options. I think the Sox are committed to Bradley that it's his job to lose. So if he and Sizemore have good springs, I think it's Bradley's job. If Sizemore looks good and is healthy, it gives them flexibility.

I like Carp, but because Nava can play first, I'd replace Carp with Sizemore because it gives the Sox a better option in CF when they want to give Bradley a day off.

This may end up being a nothing signing. Sizemore could go to camp and get hurt again or show he has nothing left. But there's nothing wrong in taking a flier on this type of a player. There's plenty of upside at basically no cost. 

And if Sizemore gives Bradley competition for playing time, how can that be a bad thing?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

I'm not seeing the fit either.  He doesn't really platoon well with either JBJ or Vic, and Nava platoons with Gomes.  And if he stays, someone else goes.  The only things I can think of is that, as you mention, they have another move in mind, or maybe they think Vic won't be ready.

It's a low risk/high reward signing that could turn out to be a steal, as some have mentioned.  I'm also certain they wanted to bring in someone who could "push" Bradley, as a little competition is healthy.  Also, from a marketing perspective, they just lost their number one draw with their female audience (Ellsbury) & Sizemore was as big as it gets with the female fan base in Cleveland.  This type of thing might make the baseball purists want to throw up, but baseball is still a business at the end of the day.  

Sizemore also spent 5 years in Cleveland with Farrell, who knows his character & work ethic.  The funny thing is that if he was an outfielder who no one ever heard of and the Sox gave him $750K to compete for a spot in spring training, no one would blink.  

He may be a longshot, but for $750,000, it's well worth the risk.  

I don't think this is a horrible deal (like the one the Yankees just signed with Tanaka)-its just a meaningless one. I cannot see a guy who has essentially been out of baseball with injuries for FOUR YEARS helping very much. He costs next to nothing, but I think he will give us next to nothing as well. In addition, we now have SIX OF-and we still need an OF who can mash LHP. Adding Sizemore provides little upside for the team IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts