Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore signs 1 year major league deal with Sox

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the oft injured Sizemore, who hasn't played in 2 seasons, is injury insurance, the Red Sox FO better find a better agent.

[/QUOTE]

He's not the only OF insurance we have. We still have Gomes, Carp, and maybe Hassan, and Brentz.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think I would count on him as OF insurance at all. He is a gamble, and in my opinion not a good one. JBJ is more OF insurance than Sizemore. I haven't scoured the rest of available MLB OF's looking for a job, but aren't there any players out there more likely to be able to take the field and perform adequately other than Sizemore?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

I like the signing.  The more talent you bring in to compete the better your options when you break camp for the season.  Wether Sizemore makes the team or not still improves the team from a competitive stand point to start the new season.  He was a very good player before he was injured and competed at a high level.  If he is healthy there may still be some of that talent there to push Bradley in center and possibly help the team at the other OF positions.  For the money spent its worth the small risk.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Sizemore might play more games than Ellsbury in 2014 (I know, that was a pretty bad joke).   Wink

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Not sure if I like the signing but if JBJ is threatened by this, I say, get used to it. As a pro ball player you have to learn to thrive on competition and prove it on the field. The idea he should be coddled is ridiculous. He hasn't earned that and some kind of backup plan makes sense. 

It's not much money but I *would* like to see the Sox spend on one impact player before it's all said and done this year. If that ends up being extending Lester I might be ok with that

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If the oft injured Sizemore, who hasn't played in 2 seasons, is injury insurance, the Red Sox FO better find a better agent.

[/QUOTE]

He's not the only OF insurance we have. We still have Gomes, Carp, and maybe Hassan, and Brentz.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think I would count on him as OF insurance at all. He is a gamble, and in my opinion not a good one. JBJ is more OF insurance than Sizemore. I haven't scoured the rest of available MLB OF's looking for a job, but aren't there any players out there more likely to be able to take the field and perform adequately other than Sizemore?

[/QUOTE]

He's barely making more than minimum wage. Signing Grady does not preclude us from getting another OF'er at some point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not sure if I like the signing but if JBJ is threatened by this, I say, get used to it. As a pro ball player you have to learn to thrive on competition and prove it on the field. The idea he should be coddled is ridiculous. He hasn't earned that and some kind of backup plan makes sense. 

It's not much money but I *would* like to see the Sox spend on one impact player before it's all said and done this year. If that ends up being extending Lester I might be ok with that

[/QUOTE]

I still think that after all the good SP'ers are signed, the desperate GM left holding the bag will give Ben a call. He will make an offer Ben cannot refuse for either Dempster or Peavy (or possibly Lackey).

The money saved will give us a cushion to acquire a significant player at some point this year. We may wait until July, at whcih point $10-14M will go a long way, since only about 1/3rd of a player's contract will be due at that point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I still think that after all the good SP'ers are signed, the desperate GM left holding the bag will give Ben a call. He will make an offer Ben cannot refuse for either Dempster or Peavy (or possibly Lackey).

The money saved will give us a cushion to acquire a significant player at some point this year. We may wait until July, at whcih point $10-14M will go a long way, since only about 1/3rd of a player's contract will be due at that point.

[/QUOTE]

Jimenez, Santana, and Burnett are still FA and that's 3 of the top 6 pitchers on this years class.  Granted it was a weak class of pitching that was only top heavy if you consider Tanaka a sure thing.

I do think your assessment is correct though, I think a G.M. Desperate for pitching will come calling Ben at some point this spring.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

One thing I liked about this team last year was its versatility. During a LONG Season, you have injuries, slumps, Batters that just struggle against Certain Pitchers, and rest. Smart GM's today want Players who can play Multiple Positions. Saves Money, helps a Manager, and keeps Players Heads ready anyday for a game.
    I just cant see Ben looking to Trade, Nava or Carp. Switch Hitter, who has improved his Defense in Rightfield, A Lefthanded 1st Baseman, who can Play Outfield in a Pinch.
    And both have the right attitude in these roles, they play hard when asked. Stats doesn't show these things.

Sorry went off target, I look at Sizemore as a Triple AAA Prospect at this point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One thing I liked about this team last year was its versatility. During a LONG Season, you have injuries, slumps, Batters that just struggle against Certain Pitchers, and rest. Smart GM's today want Players who can play Multiple Positions. Saves Money, helps a Manager, and keeps Players Heads ready anyday for a game.
    I just cant see Ben looking to Trade, Nava or Carp. Switch Hitter, who has improved his Defense in Rightfield, A Lefthanded 1st Baseman, who can Play Outfield in a Pinch.
    And both have the right attitude in these roles, they play hard when asked. Stats doesn't show these things.

Sorry went off target, I look at Sizemore as a Triple AAA Prospect at this point.

[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree but he did sign a MLB deal, so he won't be spending any significant time in Pawtucket.  Either someone is traded or he is cut by April.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

So since 2010 he has 396 at bats, and he wont need significant time in the Minors? Intresting. 2009 he didn't have a great year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

So since 2010 he has 396 at bats, and he wont need significant time in the Minors? Intresting. 2009 he didn't have a great year.

[/QUOTE]

He signed a MLB deal.  He can't play in the minors unless he is on a rehab assignment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Gotcha, so his contract is guaranteed at 750,000? Just think, less is more. You dont want to lose too many from last years WS Champions.
    To me he is a huge question mark at this point. I know where I stand with Carp and Nava.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Gotcha, so his contract is guaranteed at 750,000? Just think, less is more. You dont want to lose to many from last years WS Champions.
    To me he is a huge question mark at this point. I know where I stand with Carp and Nava.

[/QUOTE]

He is much more talented than either one, I'm sure they will take a long look at him in ST and let him go if they wish.

Bradley has options if they want to buy time and keep everyone.  They could DL Sizemore in ST and rehab him to start the year and let him get his feet wet.

They have options....this is really a no risk move.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

You know he was Traded from the Expos, with Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, and Lee  Stevens, for Colon and Tim Drew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He's barely making more than minimum wage. Signing Grady does not preclude us from getting another OF'er at some point.

[/QUOTE]

Why pay him more than minimum? Why give him incentives? He's lucky to be signed at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why pay him more than minimum? Why give him incentives? He's lucky to be signed at all.

[/QUOTE]

Because he had other offers on the table.  If hr gets those incentives....he's likely worth a LOT more than what he's being paid

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because he had other offers on the table.  If hr gets those incentives....he's likely worth a LOT more than what he's being paid

[/QUOTE]

We were competing with other teams for the services of a multi-injured player who hasn't played for the past 2 seasons? Incredible!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We were competing with other teams for the services of a multi-injured player who hasn't played for the past 2 seasons? Incredible!

[/QUOTE]

To a deal worth less than a million.  You have to make the small deals too.  You have to fill out the 25 man, build the minor league rosters, bring I guys to ST to compete, build depth, bring in options to ST etc.

Its not like they took a multi year multi million gamble on him.  If it doesn't work out they will cut him and not even blink.  It's not the sexiest move, but why be bothered by it? This isn't a franchise defining move.  It's a very low risk/high reward move.  

If it doesn't workout then he costs pennies in baseball dollars.

If he is 75% the player he once was he's worth 10 times what we paid him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To a deal worth less than a million.  You have to make the small deals too.  You have to fill out the 25 man, build the minor league rosters, bring I guys to ST to compete, build depth, bring in options to ST etc.

Its not like they took a multi year multi million gamble on him.  If it doesn't work out they will cut him and not even blink.  It's not the sexiest move, but why be bothered by it? This isn't a franchise defining move.  It's a very low risk/high reward move.  

[/QUOTE]

It's money they didn't have to spend. That's what bothers me. It does nothing to improve the team now or in the future. It is all risk/little or no reward. Even small moves are open to criticism.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's money they didn't have to spend. That's what bothers me. It does nothing to improve the team now or in the future. It is all risk/little or no reward. Even small moves are open to criticism.

[/QUOTE]

Your going to complain about one of the richest MLB teams spending barely over the minimum for a player, not using your money?

You have a right to criticize anything you want but moves like this are the very definition of low/risk high reward.

You say little to no reward as if you can predict outcomes, and pretty sure You don't have a crystal ball.

If you want to say that he has very very little chance of returning to form then I'd agree with you.  But it's happened before and that is why he signed for a few hundred thousand and not a few hundred million.  He could finally be healthy and be 75% the player he once was or more but there is a better chance he isn't but for a salary barely above the league minimum that is the very definition of low risk/high reward.

Signing mike Carp to a 6 year 120 million dollar deal would be a high risk little reward example....not .6 million for a 31 year old who was arguably the best player in baseball for years. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We're talking about almost $200K over the minimum cost of a player on a ML roster.

It's a minor gamble that shouldn't be getting anyone this passionately critical.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Exactly, and for that we "risked" about $200K more than some other minimum wage guy that might beat him out of the 5th OF'er job.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If you don't think he'll help, fine, but the level of your angst over the move is hard to understand.

$1 million is 0.26 percent of the Sox revenue (based on revenue figures for 2012. Revenue for 2014 is likely to be even more so that percentage will be even lower). You name me one business that would be unwilling to spend gamble that little for a potential big reward even if it is a longshot.

Sizemore was once an All-Star who still just 31. With the revenue the Sox have, they would be stupid not to take a flier on a players like that. If in the end, the Sox simply flush just barely a little more than 0 percent -- it's a lot closer to 0 percent than 1 percent -- of their revenue, well so be it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ho hum....yawn. Where does Sizemore fit in? He has been out of baseball for two years, and in the previous two years he played 71 games (.706 OPS) and 33 games (.560 OPS). Hard to understand this one. He is an upgrade over no OF we currently have on the roster. We now have Gomes, Vic, JBJ, Nava, and Carp who can play OF, along with Sizemore. Unless this is a prelude to getting someone better, this move is a head scratcher.

[/QUOTE]

ditto