Grady Sizemore's Contract and Incentives - He will need to be cut soon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Grady Sizemore's Contract and Incentives - He will need to be cut soon

Based on the below, he will need to be cut soon, unless the Red Sox want to keep paying him $250,000 for being unproductive.

Base salary: $750,000

For every 30 additional days from 60 onward, he gets another $250,000 for each one.

** He is beyond 60, so the next trigger on this is about 20 days out.

Plate appearances: Every 25 appearances from 225 to 500, he will earn an additional $250,000

Based on above, he can earn up to $5M.

**He is at about 200 PA, including walks, etc.

Details:

Sizemore then has the opportunity to make up to another $1 million, based on his time spent on the active roster. It's similar to what Mike Napoli had to do in order to reach his full incentives in 2013 after his degenerative hip condition was discovered, albeit on a much smaller financial scale. If Sizemore can hit 60, 90, 120, and 150 days on the active roster for Boston, he'll earn $250,000 each time.

He also gets a quarter-million dollar bump for plate appearances -- this is the arena where being a starting outfielder, rather than a bench outfielder, matters for Sizemore's wallet. Every 25 plate appearances, starting at 225 of them and up through 500, Sizemore can pull in an additional $250,000, giving him the opportunity to rake in an extra $3 million overall from playing time. So, if he makes the Opening Day roster, spends 150 days on the active roster, and accrues 500 plate appearances, Sizemore will have earned $5 million, rather than his base of $750,000.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Grady Sizemore's Contract and Incentives - He will need to be cut soon

if they are paying Drew 10 million to platoon, they obviously dont care about a total of 5 million for grady....

As always - 100% correct!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if they are paying Drew 10 million to platoon, they obviously dont care about a total of 5 million for grady....

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you are correct - they don't care about these signings so much. However, the off-season signings of Sizemore, A.J. , and Mujica to me are a pathetic effort to be competitive. The FO seemed to be content with resting on the laurels of last year's WS win. Imagine the Yankees settling for these signings. I'm not saying the Sox should have made an effort to sign Tanaka. But it is magical thinking for the FO to think everything will fall into place like last year and the Sox win the WS again. Sox fans deserve better than being satisfied with last year and being an also-ran this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you are correct - they don't care about these signings so much. However, the off-season signings of Sizemore, A.J. , and Mujica to me are a pathetic effort to be competitive. The FO seemed to be content with resting on the laurels of last year's WS win. Imagine the Yankees settling for these signings. I'm not saying the Sox should have made an effort to sign Tanaka. But it is magical thinking for the FO to think everything will fall into place like last year and the Sox win the WS again. Sox fans deserve better than being satisfied with last year and being an also-ran this year.

[/QUOTE]

So maybe the Sox did use last year as some credit to see what they had with their youth this year.  Combine their struggles with the veterans underperforming and we are what we are.

But do you people really think they are going to sit on their hands this offseason???? They will make moves to improve this team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So maybe the Sox did use last year as some credit to see what they had with their youth this year.  Combine their struggles with the veterans underperforming and we are what we are.

But do you people really think they are going to sit on their hands this offseason???? They will make moves to improve this team.

[/QUOTE]

why not start now? if they made such a low ball offer to lester perhaps they should just save everyone the agony and trade him at the deadline for a team that could use him to win it all....we need bold moves, not ben type overpay for mediocre talent moves so that we have "control" We deserve better ballplayers than this....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I think Grady is the next one out.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It should happen today to activate Napoli.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The problem here is that we are providing the training period for Sizemore's comeback. I can see us releasing him, then someone else picks him up and he gets  his swing straightened out. We are in kind of a bind. It is hard to believe that Sizemore is as bad as he has looked. But how long can we wait?

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The problem here is that we are providing the training period for Sizemore's comeback. I can see us releasing him, then someone else picks him up and he gets  his swing straightened out. We are in kind of a bind. It is hard to believe that Sizemore is as bad as he has looked. But how long can we wait?

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

well, he got paid temporarily to fill a need

someone else may or may not benefit but we can't look at it that way

it's like when you hire a summer intern or a seasonal temp worker

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

I think Nava has a much greater chance of finding his swing than Sizemore and he can fill more needs. Say thank you to Grady, wish him well and say goodbye. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

why not start now? if they made such a low ball offer to lester perhaps they should just save everyone the agony and trade him at the deadline for a team that could use him to win it all....we need bold moves, not ben type overpay for mediocre talent moves so that we have "control" We deserve better ballplayers than this....

[/QUOTE]

If by now, you mean the July 31st trade deadline then yes.  If by now then you mean this week...then no.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong again, it will be Hassan who is sent down.  The have ZERO outfield depth, they aren't going to release Sizemore...not now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

What a joke of a post. You do realize we are paying Drew 10 mill for absolutely nothing. Who cares if we save 500k on sizemore. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I have that same fear DG. It's like dumping a girl with Coke bottle glasses and knobby knees, only to see her the next year with contacts, eye liner and a fantastic leg workout program--with her new boyfriend......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I have that same fear DG. It's like dumping a girl with Coke bottle glasses and knobby knees, only to see her the next year with contacts, eye liner and a fantastic leg workout program--and a new boyfriend......

[/QUOTE]
    Good Analogy Exam, breaks up the Monotony around here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I have that same fear DG. It's like dumping a girl with Coke bottle glasses and knobby knees, only to see her the next year with contacts, eye liner and a fantastic leg workout program--and a new boyfriend......

[/QUOTE]
    Good Analogy Exam, breaks up the Monotony around here.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thats the short definition of Exam.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wrong again, it will be Hassan who is sent down.  The have ZERO outfield depth, they aren't going to release Sizemore...not now.

[/QUOTE]

Assuming Holt does okay, they will release Sizemore when Victorino is back. Given Nava, Bradley and Sizemore, two of them have fixed salaries. Sizemore can keep earning more. He will be gone when Victorino returns.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BostonBruinss' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a joke of a post. You do realize we are paying Drew 10 mill for absolutely nothing. Who cares if we save 500k on sizemore. 

[/QUOTE]

Because it goes right to the bottom line, the Red Sox are a business and why pay Sizemore any more when you don't have to pay Nava and Bradley any more. Simple accounting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because it goes right to the bottom line, the Red Sox are a business and why pay Sizemore any more when you don't have to pay Nava and Bradley any more. Simple accounting.

[/QUOTE]

Accounting and also the roster numbers crunch. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Assuming Holt does okay, they will release Sizemore when Victorino is back. Given Nava, Bradley and Sizemore, two of them have fixed salaries. Sizemore can keep earning more. He will be gone when Victorino returns.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]    You may be right, but it is not a certainty. Bradley and Nava have options. One of them could spend time in Pawtucket while Sizemore gets a longer look. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad we finally moved Betts to CF. I wish we had moved Cecchini to LF by now, and maybe we'd have a good in-system replacement for Grady by now.

I agree, I'd give him his walking papers before the next big incentive kicks in. I'd stick with Nava until we are ready to give someone else a shot in LF...Holt?  Cecchini? Hassan? Brown? Ramos?

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]    You may be right, but it is not a certainty. Bradley and Nava have options. One of them could spend time in Pawtucket while Sizemore gets a longer look. 

[/QUOTE]

But why pay him when he won't and shouldn't pay. Why pay him for being on the roster as an unproductive back up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]

Based on the below, he will need to be cut soon, unless the Red Sox want to keep paying him $250,000 for being unproductive.

Base salary: $750,000

For every 30 additional days from 60 onward, he gets another $250,000 for each one.

** He is beyond 60, so the next trigger on this is about 20 days out.

Plate appearances: Every 25 appearances from 225 to 500, he will earn an additional $250,000

Based on above, he can earn up to $5M.

**He is at about 200 PA, including walks, etc.

Details:

Sizemore then has the opportunity to make up to another $1 million, based on his time spent on the active roster. It's similar to what Mike Napoli had to do in order to reach his full incentives in 2013 after his degenerative hip condition was discovered, albeit on a much smaller financial scale. If Sizemore can hit 60, 90, 120, and 150 days on the active roster for Boston, he'll earn $250,000 each time.

He also gets a quarter-million dollar bump for plate appearances -- this is the arena where being a starting outfielder, rather than a bench outfielder, matters for Sizemore's wallet. Every 25 plate appearances, starting at 225 of them and up through 500, Sizemore can pull in an additional $250,000, giving him the opportunity to rake in an extra $3 million overall from playing time. So, if he makes the Opening Day roster, spends 150 days on the active roster, and accrues 500 plate appearances, Sizemore will have earned $5 million, rather than his base of $750,000.

[/QUOTE]

First of all, if JBJ. Nava, and Gomes have a better offense stats than Sizemore as well if Victorino was playing so healthy as of today, Sizemore could be DFA or like that.  But for now, all these OF's currently are struggling as a hitter as well Victorino is still on DL.  Cant cuz Sizemore right now.  Once Victorino come back, there is a chance that one of the OF's will be remove from the roster.  Who that could be, it could be down to Nava or Sizemore!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

still high on WMB?