GRAND PLAN? OR DESPERATE MOVES

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

GRAND PLAN? OR DESPERATE MOVES

So far, it's looking like desperation.  Getting Cespedes for essentially 1 year makes no sense at all!  Losing Lester, a PROVEN WINNER IN BOSTON in what could have been 5 yr 100M deal, was an EPIC MISTAKE!

Now we get a guy with decent power in the OF for 1 year.  VERY POOR TRADE!

I HOPE to God there is a grander big plan???

Losing Lackey, who should have been wrapped up in a bargain 2 yr deal is the death of any decent SR!!!

So far it's looking real bad!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: GRAND PLAN? OR DESPERATE MOVES

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So far, it's looking like desperation.  Getting Cespedes for essentially 1 year makes no sense at all!  Losing Lester, a PROVEN WINNER IN BOSTON in what could have been 5 yr 100M deal, was an EPIC MISTAKE!

Losing Lackey, who should have been wrapped up in a bargain 2 yr deal is the death of any decent SR!!!

[/QUOTE]

Cherington has had a lobotomy. Thats the only logical explanation. 

If the team does not make the playoffs in 2015 heads in the FO must roll.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Joe Kelly is only 26 and has a good arm. That being said, these moves today tells me this a team that has no direction. Now Betts a young talented kid has no position as we deal for 2 outfielders. I think this front office has no idea what they want

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Don't let your emotions get the best of you. Try to remain calm and wait until the dust settles. The Sox FO is conceding the 2014 season. That's all. The future may be uncertain but it doesn't mean it is dark. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I believe Ben has a plan.  Let's see what happens today, the rest of the season and next off season. 

Off the top of my head, their offense is much improved.  They will have to rely on their young arms to fill in the bull pen roles and they will have to spend money to get Max Scherzer to anchor the rotation.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Now I get it! 

We're going to replace out #1 & #2 pitchers with a guy who barely hits .250, adds more lousy OBP, BUT has big power potential, yet hits reltively few HR's.  And we will have to give him BIG $$$$ if we want to keep him around after 2015

The GRAND PLAN IS COMING CLEARER....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

[QUOTE]

Now I get it! 

We're going to replace out #1 & #2 pitchers with a guy who barely hits .250, adds more lousy OBP, BUT has big power potential, yet hits reltively few HR's.  And we will have to give him BIG $$$$ if we want to keep him around after 2015

The GRAND PLAN IS COMING CLEARER....

[/QUOTE]

yes back to the old Red Sox days, all power and no pitching and keeping young talent stuck or traded for more quick fixes. This org has no direction.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

To be honest I'm kinda stuck in neutral here.  I don't know if I like or dislike these moves.  I want to change my grade from C+ to an incomplete. 

Meanwhile the Peavy guy (Edwin Escobar) in his Pawtucket debut today has surrendered 1 run on 5 hits and 1 walk through the first 6 innings while striking out 6. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I cautiously like, not love, the Lester trade and am having a hard time liking the Lackey deal.

But as I said on one of the other threads, I'll wait until this offseason is complete before passing judgment. If retooling the team to compete next season is the plan, Ben is just getting started.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Maybe Ben could go after Matt Latos now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He's getting ML Talent in Return.  His eye is on 2015.  We need an Ace now, that's for sure.  I hope they are willing to pay for one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Would anyone take Buchholtz?  Mujica? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

To this point the RS have done just fine. September and the extended roster will be important, as a lot of AA and AAA guys are tested. Craig and Cespeda will love that wall. Lavkey was a thorn that has been removed. He was needed, now he;s not. What's to wonder about that. I remember when Craig was considered one of the best outfielders in the NL. What happened? We shall see.

When you can't beat Behrle, you've no place to go but up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.  As I already posted on another thread, good pitching is very important.  They should have signed Lester to a new contract before the season began.  They offered him an insulting $70 million, and you can't blame him for not having further discussions.  Not sure what will happen to him next season, but he won't be back with the Red Sox.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you were a G.M. for another club and you were looking to buy talent, would you trade for Mujica or Buchholz right now????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you were a G.M. for another club and you were looking to buy talent, would you trade for Mujica or Buchholz right now????

[/QUOTE]

Buchholz you might take a chance on, Mujica no.

Please tell me you are not morphing into andrewmitch.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You say 5/100, another SOX expert says 5/120. Where are you guys pulling these numbers from? You don't have to answer; it's a rhetorical question.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No I'm not.  But let me ask you the same question if you were a G.M. would you trade for Buchholz right now????

The answer is NO, not if you are going for it.  A team WOULD probably buy low on Buchholz in the offseason, but no one is going to want him now.

You would probably still get a decent return for him as someone would be willing to take a small chance that he can return to his old form.....but not as significant as he once could have returned.

But right now!!!! no one is trading for Buchholz.  That was the point of my post. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Larry is a genius; his plan of making most fans feel that Ben C is responsible is working like a charm. Way to go, Larry.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If guys like Harden and Bedard can be traded then Buchholtz and Mujica can be too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to bugmenot2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The ESPN and MLBN talking heads think that the Red Sox did well.

[/QUOTE]

So do I.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If guys like Harden and Bedard can be traded then Buchholtz and Mujica can be too.

[/QUOTE]

At the time both those guys were traded they were more healthy and much more consistent than Buchholz is right now.  Find another comp.

And I'll ask my question again.

If you were looking to buy MLB talent as a G.M. right now at the deadline.....would you trade for Buchholz?? and would you trade for Mujica???