Pedroia 2B
    Drew SS
    Napoli 1B
    Lavarnway DH
    Saltalamacchia C
    Nava LF
    Sweeney RF
    Sutton 3B
    Pitching: RHP Clay Buchholz, RHP Allen Webster, RHP Chris Carpenter, RHP Koji Uehara, RHP Joel Hanrahan, RHP Daniel Bard.

TWINS (6-5)
    TBA
    Pitching: RHP Kevin Correia, RHP P.J. Walters, RHP Trevor May, RHP B.J. Hermsen, LHP Caleb Thielbar. - See more at: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/#sthash.NGoamFoG.dpuf

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Re: Grapefruit League Game 13: Red Sox at Twins

John Farrell all but ruled out Craig Breslow for Opening Day, and Franklin Morales needs to make some progress quickly to be ready, too

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

That would leave Andrew Miller as the only lefty reliever, but Farrell likes Uehara's ability against lefties, too.            

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

John Farrell explains why DavidOrtiz may not run today after all:

“It’s more general soreness. It’s not in the Achilles. It’s in both lower leg areas. It’s not localized to the injury,” Farrell said. “It’s tendons down back of the ankles and in that area. One encouraging thing, it’s more because of the volume and increase, basically getting back in shape now that he’s been able to do some more aggressive running. It’s generalized; it’s not specific to the injury."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

John Farrell:

"Considering the deal and seeing the two arms that we’re brought back, it made the trade in the long run even that much more advantageous," he said. "Let’s face it, we gave up some really talented players. I recognize that. Given where Ben [Cherington] and others felt we needed to go, to have [Webster and De La Rosa] come back and be able to move that amount of money is a hell of a deal."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Ortiz ran lightly today. If today was Opening Day, he wouldn't be able to play, but he's still optimistic he'll be ready for April 1.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Yankees starting season on the DL will make more in 2013 ($65.5M) than entire Rays roster ($61.3M)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

David Ortiz:

"I don'€™t think I can play like that. If it gets better and it doesn’t bother me that much, yes, I'll probably be able to deal with it"

"I have to get out of my mind the rushing (trying to be ready for Opening Day) thing, because that just gets me worse. I have to stick with the plan."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

With Ortiz most likely not starting the season in the lineup, expect Mike Napoli to get the start as a DH and Daniel Nava and Mike Carp sharing time at first base.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Yankees have 10 am press conference scheduled Sat at Steinbrenner Field at which Rivera is set to announce retirement after '13 season

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

"That media was the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life" -Carl Crawford on playing for RedSox in Boston

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

"I think that's the truth," Crawford said. "It just wasn't the right place for me at the end of my day. I didn't do my homework. Maybe they didn't, either.

"At the end of the day, it just wasn't the place for me."

"That smile turned upside down quick," Crawford said. "I think they want to see that in Boston. They love it when you're miserable.

"Burying people in the media, they think that makes a person play better. That media was the worst thing I've ever experienced in my life."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

"I feel like I've got a lot of baseball left," he said. "But over there, I felt like my career was almost over."

"I took so much of a beating in Boston, I don't think anything could bother me anymore," he said. "They can say what they want -- that I'm the worst free agent ever -- and it won't get to me. But it bothered me the whole time there.

"Look how they treat [John] Lackey. Adrian [Gonzalez] hit 30 home runs and they talked about him not hitting home runs."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

"You have to tell everybody how much you like it, when you really don't like it," he said.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Mid 1st, Red Sox 1-0

: Jacoby Ellsbury singled up the middle, and later came around to score the game’s first run.

After Ellsbury singled, Twins starter Kevin Correia tried to pick him off at first base.   Ellsbury scampered up to second on the throwing error.

Dustin Pedroia would ground out to short, which allowed Ellsbury to advance to third base. Ellsbury would then come in to score on a line-drive base hit into left field off the bat of Stephen Drew.

Mike Napoli grounded into a 5-4-3 double play to end the inning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Buchholz 1st inng:  8 pitches, 7 strikes, 1st-pitch strikes to all 3, 0R, 0H, 1K.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Buchholz struck out Joe Benson swinging to begin the game. He then retired Jamey Carroll on a  roller to Dustin Pedroia at second, and got    Josh Willingham to fly out to Jacoby Ellsbury in center.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

David Ortiz says the glacial speed of his progress is "driving me crazy":

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Ortiz:"You always definitely need to play in spring training because you need to see the game action," he said. "Whoever tells me they don't have to play in spring training, I'm (not buying it). We have spring training for a reason. It costs a lot of money, but they do it because they know the timing is important. Everyone needs to get their innings in so you start lining up your body for the season. I hope I get to the point where I can start playing without pain."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Mid 2nd, Red Sox 2-0: 

Ryan Lavarnway grounded out to begin the inning, and Kevin Correia then struck out Jarrod Saltalamacchia for the second out. Nava delivered a two-out single into right field.

Nava swiped second base after he reached in order to move up into scoring position, and Sweeney then earned his free pass to put runners at first and second. After that, Correia got Drew Sutton to sky one to center field. Twins center fielder Joe Benson lost the ball in the sun, though, and he was unable to make the play.

Benson’s miscue allowed Nava to come around with Boston’s second run.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

End 2nd, Red Sox 2-0

Ryan Doumit flew out to Ryan Sweeney in right field for the first out. Trevor Plouffe singled into center field, and then went first to third on a single into center by Eduardo Escobar.

Buchholz got Jeff Clement to pop out down the first-base line in foul territory;Brandon Boggs  struck out to end the inning.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Mid 3rd, Red Sox 3-0:

Dustin Pedroia led off the inning with a single. Stephen Drew followed up with a flyout, and Mike Napoli then hit a ball that had the potential to be an inning-ending double play. Shortstop Ray Olmedo couldn’t execute the flip to second base, though, and the Sox ended up with runners at first and second.

Lavarway singled into center field, which brought Pedroia around to score Boston’s third run of the ballgame.

Napoli tried to go first to third on Lavarnway’s hit, but Benson was able to gun him down. Jarrod Saltalamacchia ended the inning by flying out to right field.

Each of the first five hitters in the Boston order now have a hit, going a combined 5-for-10 with two RBIs and two runs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Buchholz in 3d:  8 pitches, 7 strikes, 1st-pitch strikes to all 3, 0R, 0H, 2 K.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Three shutout innings for Clay Buchholz. 38 pitches -- including two eight-pitch innings -- 31 strikes. 4 K, 0 BB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

End 3rd, Red Sox 3-0: 

Buchholz sat the Twins down in order in the third. He struck out Ray Olmedo and Joe Benson to begin the inning, and then got Jamey Carroll to ground out to second base.

Sections
Shortcuts