Grapefruit League Game 17: Red Sox at Marlins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Grapefruit League Game 17: Red Sox at Marlins

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

the average offensive production from SS over the past 3 years is .257/.312/.370 I think Iggy could near that if we give him enough time in AAA. like i said, the kid is only 21.he is not MLB ready just yet but in another season or so he could be ready to give that to us.

Also keep in mind that XB could still be moved to another position and Marerro is still roughly 2 years out. SS for the future is not set in stone. Right now Iggy doesn't have much value. he is worth more to us than whatever farm scrap we get by trading him.

To be precise, Jose Iglesias is 23 years old (and older than two-time All Star shortstop Starlin Castro).

(http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/iglesjo01.shtml

ah. my bad, i was looking at the MLB Debut part.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

the average offensive production from SS over the past 3 years is .257/.312/.370 I think Iggy could near that if we give him enough time in AAA. like i said, the kid is only 21.he is not MLB ready just yet but in another season or so he could be ready to give that to us.

Also keep in mind that XB could still be moved to another position and Marerro is still roughly 2 years out. SS for the future is not set in stone. Right now Iggy doesn't have much value. he is worth more to us than whatever farm scrap we get by trading him.

To be precise, Jose Iglesias is 23 years old (and older than two-time All Star shortstop Starlin Castro).

Realistically, he probably has one more year to prove himself to the management. This is it for him. It doesn't much matter that we have him for one more year because this is a rebuilding year anyway. Still, if we could trade him for someone who is a better prospect, especially a pitching prospect, I would not hesitate to do so.

i've maintained that this is his last year to prove he is a viable MLB SS.. i'm not ready to give up on him until then. 1 more season in AAA, after that he will surely be passed by XB on the depth chart and Marerro will be at his heels. He is not 21 but still very young and can still improve offensively.

i coubt we could get a better prospect for him let alone a good pitching prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Realistically, he probably has one more year to prove himself to the management. This is it for him. It doesn't much matter that we have him for one more year because this is a rebuilding year anyway. Still, if we could trade him for someone who is a better prospect, especially a pitching prospect, I would not hesitate to do so.

i've maintained that this is his last year to prove he is a viable MLB SS.. i'm not ready to give up on him until then. 1 more season in AAA, after that he will surely be passed by XB on the depth chart and Marerro will be at his heels. He is not 21 but still very young and can still improve offensively.

i coubt we could get a better prospect for him let alone a good pitching prospect.

I am not saying we should GIVE him away, but I certainly do not view him as an untouchable future SS for the team. If we can package him with someone else for value I would certainly do that in a second.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Indians right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka has exited today's game with an apparent injury after 1 IP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Iglesias is now 0 for 2 in this game and is batting .222. Because this is a rebuilding year it might be worth unloading him for whatever we can get. He is never going to be able to hit a baseball well enough to be on a contending team.

Alibikeike says he should be starting for the Red Sox this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I said this a month ago; seems like a good time to repeat it: Any one of the BRASS think it's a good idea to ship Bradley (and Bard) off to Pawtucket, has had some sort of cincussion and needs treatment!

We had this discussion last week about Iggy should be starting for the RS.

The week before, we were discussing having DLR start for us.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EncchiladaT. Show EncchiladaT's posts

Masahiro "Ma-kun" Tanaka is on the mound for Japan. Strikes out the first hitter, Xander Bogaerts. Japan up 8-1,

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

the average offensive production from SS over the past 3 years is .257/.312/.370 I think Iggy could near that if we give him enough time in AAA. like i said, the kid is only 21. he is not MLB ready just yet but in another season or so he could be ready to give that to us.

My guess is that Iggy has more value now than he will have next year. We tend to wait too long with some of our prospects until they really are useless in trade value. Maybe if we packaged him up with someone like Ellsbury a GM might be willing to take a chance on him. I do not think he will ever hit ML pitching and is therefore useless.

Pumpsie, I'm going to attribute your ability to not mince words, from having to make yourself perfectly clear, to your patients.;)

Actually I have to be very careful talking to patients. You have to tell the truth, but you never want to remove all hope. You have to couch what you say a bit, unlike here. Here I can be as blunt as I want. I do not think Iggy has any future in the ML. Its time to trade him.

I would suggest couching what you say here to a point, also. The BDC mods don't seem to have a lot patients, so to speak;)

As far as iggy, hard to say. His glove is gold,  the same can't be said for his bat but don't want to give up, too soon. He's put on 10 pound of muscle. Let's wait to see what happens.

I think it's now or never, for Lavarnway. He's 25, time to see what his future with the team may or may not be. If Ortiz isn't ready to go, he should DH.

I am not concerned about the mods here JBay, but thanks for the caution. I do not think I have even had a single post deleted. I do not plan to hold back being critical of the team if its warranted, and I never begin a personal exchange here and rarely even get involved in that stuff.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Iggy. Yeah, he might just be a late bloomer, but he also might be a bust. He has not proven he can hit the baseball-ever. Its a fine line to choose the difference between a late bloomer and a bust. If he is going to be a bust I would rather have him be someone else's bust.

You've been behaving yourself, but that's BS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Iglesias is now 0 for 2 in this game and is batting .222. Because this is a rebuilding year it might be worth unloading him for whatever we can get. He is never going to be able to hit a baseball well enough to be on a contending team.

Absolutely. The sox need a SS and have since they unloaded Nomar. This revolving door crap has to stop and it's worth the risk to give this kid an opportunity at the FT SS. We certainly know the defense will not suffer.

I swear, thie kid goes hitless for a couple of games and you guys are ready to give up on him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Absolutely. The sox need a SS and have since they unloaded Nomar. This revolving door crap has to stop and it's worth the risk to give this kid an opportunity at the FT SS. We certainly know the defense will not suffer.

I swear, thie kid goes hitless for a couple of games and you guys are ready to give up on him.

Sorry, but they don't give out trophies for having the same SS for a set number of years.

They can have a different one every year, as long as they contribute.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

that will end soon enough. between XB, Iggy, Marerro, Lin and the other SSs we have in the organization ONE of them has got to be the answer..... you may not like the revolving door but it WILL end soon. I don't think Iggy will be the guy to break that cycle but i'm not ready to give up on him just yet. With how good that glove it if he could just get some offense to go with that he would be a servicable SS until XB, Marerro, Lin prove they are better than future Iggy.

If Iggy doesn't work out, it's not a big deal because he have so many other good potions in the minors who should be ready over the next few years. that's why i don't think we should trade him. all of our eggs are not in 1 basket. We can afford to stick it out with him in AAA for another year without a negative effect. Drew will be good enough for 2013 and for 2014 and beyond we have XB, Marerro, Lin to look to if Iggy fails.