Great Article on Lavarnway

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Great Article on Lavarnway

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/red_sox_ryan_lavarnway_03-29-12_FBU73R7_v2.268aa8.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

Re: Great Article on Lavarnway

I like this part

But that hasn't prevented the self-assured 24-year-old catcher from gleaning as much as he can from Beckett, Jon Lester and the rest of the starting rotation he expects to catch at some point this season.

What exactly is he gleaning from them? That bud lite goes better with extra crispy and that there will be more potato salad available when they have barbeque chicken since wake is no longer here? To make sure he wipes his hands before picking up the video game control so he won't get grease from the fried chicken on it?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

In Response to Re: Great Article on Lavarnway:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Lavarnway : Is that supposed to be funny? Beer and chicken jokes on a Red Sox message board? I can only imagine the lines you use on the 15 year old girls on spring break. You think you are coming off funny, cool and hip...they are walking away giggling that you are some dumb old man
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

I don't know where you are from, but down here we don't let 15 yr old girls in a bar. Strange place you must live.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]I like this part But that hasn't prevented the self-assured 24-year-old catcher from gleaning as much as he can from Beckett, Jon Lester and the rest of the starting rotation he expects to catch at some point this season. What exactly is he gleaning from them? That bud lite goes better with extra crispy and that there will be more potato salad available when they have barbeque chicken since wake is no longer here? To make sure he wipes his hands before picking up the video game control so he won't get grease from the fried chicken on it?
    Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE]

The man went to Yale so I think he's smart enough to figure out what to pick up from his teammates or not.  Your bad joke = fail.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

If offense were the only consideration, Lavarnway would be a shoo-in for the major-league roster. He hit .295 with a .390 on-base percentage and a prodigious .612 slugging percentage in more than 250 plate appearances at Triple-A, and he hit 32 home runs in just over 500 plate appearances in an entire season split between Double-A and Triple-A.

The two home runs he hit against Baltimore in the penultimate game of the season might have been the highlight of the month of September for the Red Sox.

He’s continued hitting in spring training. After collecting three hits against the Blue Jays in Dunedin on Sunday and drawing a walk in his lone at-bat Tuesday, he’s hitting .455 with a .500 on-base percentage and .515 slugging percentage in spring training.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]If offense were the only consideration, Lavarnway would be a shoo-in for the major-league roster. He hit .295 with a .390 on-base percentage and a prodigious .612 slugging percentage in more than 250 plate appearances at Triple-A, and he hit 32 home runs in just over 500 plate appearances in an entire season split between Double-A and Triple-A. The two home runs he hit against Baltimore in the penultimate game of the season might have been the highlight of the month of September for the Red Sox. He’s continued hitting in spring training. After collecting three hits against the Blue Jays in Dunedin on Sunday and drawing a walk in his lone at-bat Tuesday, he’s hitting .455 with a .500 on-base percentage and .515 slugging percentage in spring training.
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

Lowell, his D looked pretty good this weekend.  He may not be Fisk yet, but he was fluid, caught a really good start from Doubront (for what CERA is worth) and made some BB throws.  I dont think his catching is a liability, no more than Salty's anyway.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Lavarnway : Lowell, his D looked pretty good this weekend.  He may not be Fisk yet, but he was fluid, caught a really good start from Doubront (for what CERA is worth) and made some BB throws.  I dont think his catching is a liability, no more than Salty's anyway.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]Money mouth

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Lavarnway : Where I am from we laugh at guys at bars with a bird on their shoulder taking pictures with teenagers

So they let teenagers in the bars where you live?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Utterly absurd not to put Lavarnway on opening day roster. Salty has an option and should be demoted to AAA. Shop and Lavarnway compliment one another. Salty and Shop do not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Utterly absurd not to put Lavarnway on opening day roster. Salty has an option and should be demoted to AAA. Shop and Lavarnway compliment one another. Salty and Shop do not.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]Laughing

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Utterly absurd not to put Lavarnway on opening day roster. Salty has an option and should be demoted to AAA. Shop and Lavarnway compliment one another. Salty and Shop do not.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I like Lavarnway alot, but in his short stint last year he murderd Lefties and struggled against righties.....which is the same as Shoppach.....even if you argue that Lavarnway wil hit Righties better, when Shoppach plays you will still be sitting him against the lefties he would hit the best....They do not compliment each other at all.....Salty and Lavarnway on the other hand do compliment each other perfectly.....Lavarnway could play against all lefties and some righties, and Salty could play against the tougher Rightys

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Lavarnway : Agreed.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Lavarnway : I wouldn't know. I am a grown man with a young family. I don't have time to go to bars, play with birds and spend hours on a Yankee message board. The irony that you frequent bars and then keep on bringing up the Red Sox drinking last year....odd that you have no class yet attack Lackey for using a word that offended you. Classic!

Never once did I drink on the job, big difference.

And when I let you be the judge of who has class and who doesn't then I'd really be in trouble.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]I like Lavarnway alot, but in his short stint last year he murderd Lefties and struggled against righties.....which is the same as Shoppach.....even if you argue that Lavarnway wil hit Righties better, when Shoppach plays you will still be sitting him against the lefties he would hit the best....They do not compliment each other at all.....Salty and Lavarnway on the other hand do compliment each other perfectly.....Lavarnway could play against all lefties and some righties, and Salty could play against the tougher Rightys
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I agree - and Shoppach has no experience with the staff, while Salty has a year, plus.  Maybe most importantly, at age 26, Salty is still a good candidate for improvement.  If Lavarnway becomes the full-time catcher that's great, but it's not going to happen this year - if Salty can face almost exclusively right-handed pitching, he has a good shot at .800+ OPS, which would have teams listening next winter.  Hold on to Salty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

In response to "Re: Great Article on Lavarnway": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great Article on Lavarnway : Never once did I drink on the job, big difference. And when I let you be the judge of who has class and who doesn't then I'd really be in trouble. Posted by TBINFL[/QUOTE] Your act is getting old fast franky boy

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Great Article on Lavarnway": Your act is getting old fast franky boy
    Posted by small-package[/QUOTE]

That's rich coming from you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Frankie from Gloucester?? The imbecile that WEEI pays to call everyday to help out their ratings?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

They do not compliment each other at all.....Salty and Lavarnway on the other hand do compliment each other perfectly.....Lavarnway could play against all lefties and some righties, and Salty could play against the tougher Rightys

False! Your mind is feebley focused on offense. Salty is a wooden passballs butcher with a glove and a lousy overall hitter. Salty is also a strikeout machine v. RP with a SLG % of .481 that does not offest how bad that is!

Salty v RP 2011 BA .246 OBP .304 Strikeouts 87 v. 17 BB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoppach is a solid defender, while Lavarnway is an offensive talent with soft hands, agility and strong throwing arm. Lavarnway has zero passed balls during call-up in 2011, and threw out the only steal attempt. In the minors, his career CS% 32%.

Lavarnway has displayed the talent to be an adequate or better defensive catcher, but is also the class offensive talent.

Salty is neither offensively talented or defensively talented as a full-time catcher, and most certainly isn't good enough to be the defensive backup.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Great Article on Lavarnway:
    [QUOTE]http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/content/red_sox_ryan_lavarnway_03-29-12_FBU73R7_v2.268aa8.html
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]

quite enjoyable ...I'm ready...

That extra 100 or so innings could bbe very beneficial

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

Sections
Shortcuts