Great Bullpen.....but there is still a question to be answered.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Great Bullpen.....but there is still a question to be answered.

Will any of our starting 5 consistently hand a game over to them without averaging 5-6 runs or more  before they do?

I expect the majority should do better this year....but if we get a repeat it won't matter how good the bullpen is...the other worry is that the bullpen looks good on paper..but.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Great Bullpen.....but there is still a question to be answered.

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Will any of our starting 5 consistently hand a game over to them without averaging 5-6 runs or more  before they do?

I expect the majority should do better this year....but if we get a repeat it won't matter how good the bullpen is...the other worry is that the bullpen looks good on paper..but.......

[/QUOTE]

Sox management is placing all their chips in their existing starting core plus Dempster...if these guys fail that will represent the fall of the 2013 Red Sox...not Napoli, Victorino, Drew, Gomes or Ross.

Regarding the bullpen, the talent is there, but they still have to perform and when it comes to relief pitchers it's a crap shoot most of the time...although, this group does look good on paper.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sox management is placing all their chips in their existing starting core plus Dempster...if these guys fail that will represent the fall of the 2013 Red Sox...not Napoli, Victorino, Drew, Gomes or Ross.

Regarding the bullpen, the talent is there, but they still have to perform and when it comes to relief pitchers it's a crap shoot most of the time...although, this group does look good on paper.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't mean this to be a critical post. I was pushing for better starting pitching this offseason. Maybe it will still come. I like you believe that Ben is going all in with the same crew as last year for the most part and hoping Lackey holds form as he was with the Angels. He may just go with this crew till trade deadline mid year hoping to improve then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I expect none of our SPs to give up 5-6 runs.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what?

[/QUOTE]

The OP asked about our starters consistently giving up 5-6 runs, and I said they wouldn't.  What part of that complicated exchange did you not understand?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The bullpen looks good on paper. To be successful , it needs the starters to do their job.  Repeated bad outings from the starters cause the pen to be overworked and wear down as the season progresses. We need the starters to not just " give us innings " , but to give us quality innings and hand over a lead to the pen. An occasional complete game would certainly not hurt.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The bullpen looks good on paper. To be successful , it needs the starters to do their job.  Repeated bad outings from the starters cause the pen to be overworked and wear down as the season progresses. We need the starters to not just " give us innings " , but to give us quality innings and hand over a lead to the pen. An occasional complete game would certainly not hurt.

[/QUOTE]

This is true. To add to that, if the starters are not doing their jobs, not only does the pen get overworked, but they also get used in innings and/or situations where they are not going to be the most effective.  No matter how good a bullpen is, the starters still have to do their jobs or the relievers won't be effective in theirs.

That said, I think the starting staff has a good chance of being a very good rotation.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Breidy was correct in his statement. How many starters are going to average 5.5  earned runs when they are taken out of the game? How many did that last year?

[/QUOTE]

How many left the game with as many or more runs allowed than IP is probably a better question (or 5 ERs in 6 IP).

To me, a horrible start is something like this:

Not lasting past 3 IP with 2 or more ERs allowed.

4 IP with 3+ ERS

5 IP with 4+ ERs

6 IP with 5+ ERs

How did our 2012 starters do using this criteria?

Dice-K: 8 out of 11 horrible

Bard: 4 out of 10 horrible.

Cook 7 out of 18.

Beckett 5 of 21.

These guys aren't starting for us in 2013. So that's 24 horrible starts out of 60 gone.

(Is Lackey going to replace these guys with what he did in 2011?

10/28 horrible... hmmmm....)

Morales  3/9

Doub 10/29

Buch  10/29

Lest    6/33

So, last year, by my criteria, we had about 53 horrible starts. Just about one in three.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We have a bingo with this rersponse. This is what it all boils down to, can farrell and company get this starting rotation into good form. I would say that majority of the 25 roster players for next season will be playing with a chip on their shoulder.