Great game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Great game

That was one heck of a game tonight. Terrific pitcher's duel. Very well played and a treat to watch. In the end, it came down to one big mistake by Tanaka that Napoli jumped on.  If this game had been in a more meaningful situation, it would be talked about for quite a while. As it is, it still gives a glimmer of hope that this season can still turn around. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Great game

It was a great game, friend.  

And hope is ever ready to find a reason to grow ... Holt, Papi, Pedey, even Rossy and Naps ... then there was Lester and Koji...

4 4 11    ....   figure it out.  

Hint, 3 4 10.

Go SOX!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was a great game, friend.  

And hope is ever ready to find a reason to grow ... Holt, Papi, Pedey, even Rossy and Naps ... then there was Lester and Koji...

4 4 11    ....   figure it out.  

Hint, 3 4 10.

Go SOX!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  Very true. I am sure that you and your wife enjoyed it and had a great time. I don't know you personally , but you sure seem like a great Sox fan and a great guy. I always enjoy your posts. All the best. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

We one game, that's a start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That was one heck of a game tonight. Terrific pitcher's duel. Very well played and a treat to watch. In the end, it came down to one big mistake by Tanaka that Napoli jumped on.  If this game had been in a more meaningful situation, it would be talked about for quite a while. As it is, it still gives a glimmer of hope that this season can still turn around. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

yup 2 all that

glad that yaz & JB were there to enjoy it

also nice to have a nyy/sox series in great weather 4 a change

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

yup 2 all that

glad that yaz & JB were there to enjoy it

also nice to have a nyy/sox series in great weather 4 a change

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Zac,

It was great all the way around.  We even had no trouble getting into the city.  Only the walk on the way out, there was myriad shirts and numbers.  Deb, my wife, was wearing my Victorino shirt and I had on my Ortiz .... and just ahead of us, that iconic Red Sox 8 .... Yaz was walking in front of SinceYaz!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We one game, that's a start.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Can't win it all if we don't win the one ....  :o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I also thought the defense was good--yah, even in the 3 rd when the Yanks scored, on an Unearned Run--credit Drew with an error. Hard to call that an error with Roberts running, Drew had to go to his right, the ball wasn't hit that hard. I know we've seen him make the play before-it was definitely a borderline error--Ortiz would have lobbied for a hit.

Very strong up the middle: Ross, JBJ along with Drew and Pedroia. JF threw some wrinkles into the lineup. Ue's relief job was great--Vintage Ue. Lester pitched like he deserved a $150 M contract. He's making a strong case with a sub 3 ERA.

Maybe we will have 2 All Stars---Ue and Lester.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Was not Mookie Betts sitting on the bench (or was he enroute)?

Lester did not throw a lot of curves for strikes, but he did throw some.  And he went 8 innings with no earned runs against a decent (not good) hitting Yankees team in a hitter's park, maybe the most hitter-friendly in MLB.  

Ross could look really bad at the plate, but you do not want to throw him a pitch he likes.  And that throw to 2B to nail Gardner, who this year has a very good SB percentage, was well ahead of the runner.  

I tend not to forgive players who leave even though their reasons are good, but last night I was furious when Ellsbury stole second, then third, then seemed headed for home.  Then I realized the batter struck out looking, end of inning.  A great feeling, easily as good as either of the dingers, big as they were.

Last night was further proof of just how hard/well the Sox have to play to win.  The Yankees got their stupid run on an error, an HBP, a sacrifice, and a sac fly, but zero hits.  The Sox got two bases empty dingers.  In two other innings they had two on and no outs, but couldn't score.  The most egregious was Pedroia single, Ortiz double, putting men on 2d and 3d with no one out.  A grounder to the right, a sac fly, whatever, scores a run.  So Napoli strikes out.  Now Drew, lefty against righty, has a chance to redeem himself with a man on 3B and one out, but he strikes out on three pitches!  Finally Bogaerts with the ground out, but at least he made contact.  

The Yankees did have one bad inning with three singles and no runs--that's the one where Gardner led off with a single and got caught stealing.

Congrats to dgalehouse for starting this thread.  I pretend not to care, but do in fact watch the games (on my laptop via mlb.com) and apparently remember a lot of what happened.  

For the Yankee fans:  Tanaka looks awfully good with a terrific variety of pitches, including a good fastball and nasty breaking stuff, and a willingness to attack the strike zone.  Matsuzaka had a pretty good repertoire, but not as good, and he hated throwing strikes--not a good union man at all.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Great game indeed (Well, except for the FOX announcers).   Excellent pitching and mostly excellent defense.

I was just reading how the Dodgers made up 9.5 games in 30 days last year, and could do it in 21 days this year.  If the Dodgers can do it, so can the Sox.  As bad as it has looked at times this season, there is always hope.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Had the feeling of last year, and the traditional Sox/Yanks games. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yup, great game. That brings us to a pathetic 3-6 on the road trip with one remaining. If we win tonight we could even make to to .400 ball on this trip. This team is DEAD LAST in runs scored in the league, and we are bringing up a rookie to try to jump start the offense? They are behind seven teams for the WC slot, and Coolstandings gives us not even a 7% chance of making the playoffs. I think thats about right: 6.8%. The rest of the year will be interesting only in that we can see several minor league players who will ostensibly help the team in the next few years debut. But as for the group of bums on this team, lets not get ahead of ourselves. We still have Gomes and Carp and Victorino and Bradley and Ross and Pierzynski and Nava and and and.....and until those guys are dumped the team is highly unlikely to make a move towards the playoffs.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yup, great game. That brings us to a pathetic 3-6 on the road trip with one remaining. If we win tonight we could even make to to .400 ball on this trip. This team is DEAD LAST in runs scored in the league, and we are bringing up a rookie to try to jump start the offense? They are behind seven teams for the WC slot, and Coolstandings gives us not even a 7% chance of making the playoffs. I think thats about right: 6.8%. The rest of the year will be interesting only in that we can see several minor league players who will ostensibly help the team in the next few years debut. But as for the group of bums on this team, lets not get ahead of ourselves. We still have Gomes and Carp and Victorino and Bradley and Ross and Pierzynski and Nava and and and.....and until those guys are dumped the team is highly unlikely to make a move towards the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]    If the Sox win a few games before the break, Cool Standings will revise their odds. I have no interest in their projections. Try getting those odds with the wise guys in Vegas. Good luck.  There is still a lot of talent on this team. The smart money people realize that. Too many people try to make things more complicated than need be. You can keep your Cool Standings, WAR, UZR, etc.  Baseball is a great game. A lot can happen. I know I am old school, but I still trust my judgement , common sense and objectivity in evaluating baseball. I have been as critical as anyone about some of the moves the front office has made, but it is extremely premature to say that this season is over. There is a lot of baseball still to be played.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]Yes, that was a fun game to watch !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]   It was a great game to watch indeed. Had a definite post season feel to it. Looking forward to more of the same tonight as Mookie Betts makes his debut.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Look, IF the SOX pitching continues to  give up only one run a game, they have a shot at 1st place.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Look, IF the SOX pitching continues to  give up only one run a game, they have a shot at 1st place.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. If our ERA for the rest of the season is 1 or less we have a good chance to finish first.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Would you say that if sox lost ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Why go fishing for more trouble than there already is?

Alternative:  What if they had won 6-0 the night before....

Why hope the Dems and Reps really care about us instead of just themelves?

OOps, SOrry ... when I start going with the what ifs....

It was a great game.  Max is also right, there were weak moments,  But Lester had a no hitter going through the 5th and kept damage to a minimum.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  Yes, in fact , I would. It was a terrific pitcher's duel between two of the best in the business. I catch nearly all of the Sox games and watch a lot of other teams as well. I try to be objective and give credit where due. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree. If our ERA for the rest of the season is 1 or less we have a good chance to finish first.

[/QUOTE]

Did you notice, Pumpsie, that was a big 'if.'

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you notice, Pumpsie, that was a big 'if.'

[/QUOTE]

Yup. I caught the sarcasm. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

test

edit

Sections
Shortcuts