Great interview with Pedro Martinez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Great interview with Pedro Martinez

Here's a little of the interview with Pedro Martinez from WEEI.If you want to read it all,click on the link:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/01/10/pedro-martinez-on-the-big-show-of-mvp-and-cy-young-snubs-the-steroid-era-and-bostons-everlasting-place-in-his-heart/

Former Red Sox great Pedro Martinez joined The Big Show on Tuesday to discuss his career in Boston, which featured what some consider to be the most dominant stretch by a pitcher in major league history. In seven years with the Sox, Martinez was 117-37 with a 2.52 ERA while averaging 10.9 strikeouts per nine innings, averaging a shade under 200 innings a year.

Martinez won two Cy Young awards while a member of the Red Sox (in 1999 and 2000). Still, the fact that Tigers ace Justin Verlander was named the AL MVP re-opened an apparent wound for Martinez about his distress in being snubbed in the 1999 MVP voting, a year when Martinez went 23-4 with a 2.07 ERA and 313 strikeouts but was left off the ballots of two writers (George King of the New York Post and LaVelle Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune), resulting in Martinez finishing second to Ivan Rodriguez in the race. Martinez also rankled at the memory of finishing second to Barry Zito in the 2002 AL Cy Young race

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Great interview with Pedro Martinez

You just have to wonder what King and Neal were thinking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlewdwinsky. Show mlewdwinsky's posts

Have not read the interview, but have and will always believe Pedro was THE ABSOLUTE BEST the Sox ever had - bar none.  Pedro might not have known Zip Zimmer had a plate in his head - but he knew most everything else.  It was a shame he couldn't stay longer but it would have been tough to get any attention with Curt Schilling there and talking continuously. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Great interview with Pedro and thanks for posting it.  He will always be one of my favorite Red Sox players.   He is definitely one of the best pitchers ever and definitely to pitch for the Red Sox. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/142619-100-greatest-mlb-pitchers-of-all-time-25-1#/articles/142619-100-greatest-mlb-pitchers-of-all-time-25-1/page/24

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Poor Pedro, it saddens me to see that he still feels slighted by 2002 (and 1999, of course). Truth be told, 2002 might be the bigger snub of the two...let's recap:

Other than Zito's innings pitched advantage, the main argument the "west coast bloc" of sportswriters used in his favor was "Pedro dominated terrible teams such as the Devil Rays, but Zito was better against quality opponents".

Embarrasingly, this was an outright lie. At 16 years old, I felt something didn't seem right with that statement and did some research that took all of 15 minutes and found that these west coasters were making it up. Here's how each did against teams with over .500 and under .500 winning percentages:

Zito (vs .500+, 2002): 11-4, 3.66 ERA, 1.283 WHIP, 6.6 K/9
    Zito (vs .500-, 2002): 12-1, 1.86 ERA, 0.989 WHIP, 7.7 K/9

Pedro (vs .500+, 2002): 7-4, 2.14 ERA, 0.975 WHIP, 10.6 K/9
    Pedro (vs .500-, 2002): 13-0, 2.36 ERA, 0.879 WHIP, 10.9 K/9

Both dominated the weaker teams in the league, but Zito was actually no more than a pretty good pitcher against good teams, while Pedro was at least as good against those same teams. Basically, these terrible voters saw each pitcher's record against .500+ teams and ran with that...and nothing else.

It's also worth nothing that Pedro was hurt by his home ballpark (2.71 home ERA, 1.89 road ERA) and Zito was helped by his (2.56 home ERA, 2.92 road ERA). So Pedro was at least a full two tiers better than Zito in 2002...Cy Young highway robbery.

Also, let's not forget that Derek Lowe was better than Zito in 2002, as Lowe pitched more innings per start (Zito only pitched more innings because he had three more starts than Lowe), a better ERA (2.58 to Zito's 2.75), and a lower WHIP (.974 to Zito's 1.134).

What's the lesson to take from this? If you ever hear or read someone whining about an "east coast bias" in sports, mock that person. While there is certainly a "New York bias" due to the city's eternal need to be best at everything, there is no awards favor granted to any other east coast teams by the media. However, misguided west coast sportswriters will often gang together to try and counter situations that they perceive to be tainted by the "east coast bias" and effectively create the "west coast bias", which was in full effect in the 2002 Cy Young vote. The mass of west coast writers literally fabricated an argument as slanted in Zito's favor as possible, and then drowned the country in the false claims until it netted their guy the win (and the SF Giants have been paying for that every since...sorry guys).

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Great interview with Pedro Martinez:
    [QUOTE]You just have to wonder what King and Neal were thinking.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Neal, I'm pretty sure, never voted for Pitchers for MVP.  King just wanted to stick it to Pedro and Red Sox b/c he is a world class D-b a g.  King had put the likes of David Wells and Rick Helling on his MVP ballot in the past. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

[QUOTE]Poor Pedro, it saddens me to see that he still feels slighted by 2002 (and 1999, of course). Truth be told, 2002 might be the bigger snub of the two...let's recap: Other than Zito's innings pitched advantage, the main argument the "west coast bloc" of sportswriters used in his favor was "Pedro dominated terrible teams such as the Devil Rays, but Zito was better against quality opponents". Embarrasingly, this was an outright lie. At 16 years old, I felt something didn't seem right with that statement and did some research that took all of 15 minutes and found that these west coasters were making it up. Here's how each did against teams with over .500 and under .500 winning percentages: Zito (vs .500+, 2002): 11-4, 3.66 ERA, 1.283 WHIP, 6.6 K/9 Zito (vs .500-, 2002): 12-1, 1.86 ERA, 0.989 WHIP, 7.7 K/9 Pedro (vs .500+, 2002): 7-4, 2.14 ERA, 0.975 WHIP, 10.6 K/9 Pedro (vs .500-, 2002): 13-0, 2.36 ERA, 0.879 WHIP, 10.9 K/9 Both dominated the weaker teams in the league, but Zito was actually no more than a pretty good pitcher against good teams, while Pedro was at least as good against those same teams. Basically, these terrible voters saw each pitcher's record against .500+ teams and ran with that...and nothing else. It's also worth nothing that Pedro was hurt by his home ballpark (2.71 home ERA, 1.89 road ERA) and Zito was helped by his (2.56 home ERA, 2.92 road ERA). So Pedro was at least a full two tiers better than Zito in 2002...Cy Young highway robbery. Also, let's not forget that Derek Lowe was better than Zito in 2002, as Lowe pitched more innings per start (Zito only pitched more innings because he had three more starts than Lowe), a better ERA (2.58 to Zito's 2.75), and a lower WHIP (.974 to Zito's 1.134). What's the lesson to take from this? If you ever hear or read someone whining about an "east coast bias" in sports, mock that person. While there is certainly a "New York bias" due to the city's eternal need to be best at everything, there is no awards favor granted to any other east coast teams by the media. However, misguided west coast sportswriters will often gang together to try and counter situations that they perceive to be tainted by the "east coast bias" and effectively create the "west coast bias", which was in full effect in the 2002 Cy Young vote. The mass of west coast writers literally fabricated an argument as slanted in Zito's favor as possible, and then drowned the country in the false claims until it netted their guy the win (and the SF Giants have been paying for that every since...sorry guys).
    Posted by redsoxu571[/QUOTE]

I love you, man.  Well said.

I would also like to express my complete and utter gratitude to Pedro "45" Martinez.  He was and will always be my favorite Red Sox.  No pitcher has dominated like Pedro since.  Not only did Pedro utterly dominate the very best opposition he also scared the ever living $hit out of them.  He was fearsome. 

God I miss him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]You just have to wonder what King and Neal were thinking.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE] thinking and George King never belong in the same sentence...Sealed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Great interview with Pedro Martinez : I love you, man.  Well said. I would also like to express my complete and utter gratitude to Pedro "45" Martinez.  He was and will always be my favorite Red Sox.  No pitcher has dominated like Pedro since.  Not only did Pedro utterly dominate the very best opposition he also scared the ever living $hit out of them.  He was fearsome.  God I miss him.
    Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

I second that.  Pedro is the greatest.  It is too bad his legacy isn't as great as it should have been because of biased and juvenile sports writers.  Another Cy Young and MVP belong next to Pedro's name.

Pedro was the greatest PLAYER I've ever seen.  I say that because he dominated on the mound in the era when that was most unlikely.  And yes he was fearsome.  I always found it so amusing that a league full of juiced up sluggers were terrified of 5 11 175 LB Pedro.  What made him so special was that he could get by on guile as easily as he could on his stuff.  He had the greatest stuff and was also a thinking mans pitcher. 

Retire #45.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

where is that attitude with our current pitchers?.....they should take note.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

k

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I second that.  Pedro is the greatest.  It is too bad his legacy isn't as great as it should have been because of biased and juvenile sports writers.  Another Cy Young and MVP belong next to Pedro's name.

Pedro was the greatest PLAYER I've ever seen.  I say that because he dominated on the mound in the era when that was most unlikely.  And yes he was fearsome.  I always found it so amusing that a league full of juiced up sluggers were terrified of 5 11 175 LB Pedro.  What made him so special was that he could get by on guile as easily as he could on his stuff.  He had the greatest stuff and was also a thinking mans pitcher.  

Retire #45.

Great post! Pedro was the best of our era. Dominating during the era of the hitter makes his already amazing numbers even more spectacular.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n