Great Red Sox trivia

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Great Red Sox trivia

There's an article that contains 50 bits of Red Sox/Fenway trivia here's the first 5 and a link to read the whole article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/25962/sox-media-guide-from-trivial-to-sublime

1. Many Red Sox fans can tell you that the Green Monster is 37 feet high. But did you know the length of the left-field wall is 231 feet, including 3 feet of foul territory? 

2. Evidence that the Sox have someone counting everything on Yawkey Way is this item on the team's community service: Sox players made 414 appearances on behalf of the club last season, in addition to the work they may do on their own, and Sox alumni made an additional 276 appearances. 

3. Brian O'Halloran, the team's assistant general manager, spent two years in Tbilisi, which is not a little-known outpost in the New York-Penn League but located in the Republic of Georgia, where he studied ethnic conflict. O'Halloran also spent three years in Moscow and is fluent in Russian and Georgian, a language you thought only the Drew brothers were fluent in. 

4. With John Farrell as manager in 2011, the Blue Jays were undefeated in 11 extra-inning games at home. The Jays were the first team since 1901 to win at least 10 extra-inning games at home without a loss. 

5. Farrell, who was traded along with right-handed pitcher David Carpenter for Sox shortstop Mike Aviles, was part of only six trades involving a manager. That includes the only time one manager was traded for another, 1960, when the Indians sent Joe Gordon to the Tigers for Jimmy Dykes. Another manager traded was Lou Piniella [Seattle to Tampa Bay], who will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch on Monday. 

I had to add one more for the Jacoby haters (and we all know who you are):

18. Jacoby Ellsbury, who has made just 5 errors in 1,381 total chances, has a .996 career fielding percentage. That's the best ever by a major league outfielder with at least 1,000 total chances. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Great Red Sox trivia

Good reading as we wait to get underway !!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Thanks Bill,I thought it was interesting.Have a happy and safe Easter.

Go Red Sox !!!!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

18. Jacoby Ellsbury, who has made just 5 errors in 1,381 total chances, has a .996 career fielding percentage. That's the best ever by a major league outfielder with at least 1,000 total chances.

and moon + others want to say he is a bad fielder......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I was in a Fenway-area bar in '06, can't remember which one, a few hours before gametime. Unbeknownst to me and my buddy, they had free tickets to give out and all you had to do was answer a trivia question.

We had no tickets, so I gave it a shot. They called me up and I was expecting to be completely embarrassed. Instead, they lobbed me a softball: against what team did Roger Clemens strike out 20 batters in 1986? I'm sure everyone there  knew it was Seattle, but I was lucky enough to get the question.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Ellsbury gets a lot of puffery, but the fielding percentage claim is quite false.

While I do not view Ells as the dark lord like you do....I do agree that he is over-rated as a fielder (and player for that matter).  I think fielding % is about as imprtant a stat as wins for pitchers.....it simply does not tell the story.  Ells makes up for his bad jumps on balls simply becasue of his speed.  He does however make pretty much every routine play which is nice.....but the woes with his arm pretty much negates that.

Heck.....Manny was in the top 10 every year for throwing runners out from the outfield almost every year it seemed.......why he never won a gold glove was beyond me....  ;-)