Great time to become a FIFA World Cup fan! GO USA. :)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Great time to become a FIFA World Cup fan! GO USA. :)

Perfect time for the Team USA to shine!  

Boston sure could use another sport & team to root for right now!!!!   

Sure!  The Red Sox are ahead right now, but I have far more faith that team USA will win it all, than the Red Sox even cracking .500 for this 2014 season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Great time to become a FIFA World Cup fan! GO USA. :)

I wish they'd play soccer on my lawn so I wouldn't have to mow it again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

6 p.m. ETZ on ESPN.  :)

U.S. vs. PORTUGAL

This could be an epic & revolutionary game for soccer in the U.S.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

U.S. vs. PORTUGAL

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure playing soccer is fun, but watching it, at least for me, is like watching grass dry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

U.S. vs. PORTUGAL

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure playing soccer is fun, but watching it, at least for me, is like watching grass dry.

[/QUOTE]

In general, I would have completely agreed with you.  I rarely tune in & watch games.  Never watch the NE Revolution,and I once ball boyed for the NE team back in the mid-70's.  I simply don't watch it.

Still, this is a HUGE GAME! !!!!!   Far bigger than the Olympics!  I've been watching some of the World Cup games today.  Great competition!

Give it a go, & see if you don't get caught up.  Tune in now!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

U.S. vs. PORTUGAL

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In general, I would have completely agreed with you.  I rarely tune in & watch games.  Never watch the NE Revolution,and I once ball boyed for the NE team back in the mid-70's.  I simply don't watch it.

Still, this is a HUGE GAME! !!!!!   Far bigger than the Olympics!  I've been watching some of the World Cup games today.  Great competition!

[/QUOTE]

Well, if I can find a flag, maybe I will.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Here we go........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

U.S. vs. PORTUGAL

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, if I can find a flag, maybe I will.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Last #RedSox player to hit a homer and steal home in the same game was Rico Petrocelli on 9-9-67 vs. the Yankees.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Lester has really put the #RedSox on his back today.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Ah.......  ok 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

sorry posted in the wrong thread saw the G and mistook it for gamethread

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Follow

‏@PeteAbe
    Last #RedSox player to hit a homer and steal home in the same game was Rico Petrocelli on 9-9-67 vs. the Yankees.

[/QUOTE]

Feeling a little threarened there J-Bay?    LOL.    ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

sorry posted in the wrong thread saw the G and mistook it for gamethread

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  I did wonder. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

[QUOTE]

U.S. vs. PORTUGAL

[/QUOTE]

I watched the last five minutes and it was epic........for Portugal. I almost thought I was watching the Sox give away a masterfully pitched game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Classic case of the " prevent defense " preventing a win. Maybe football and futball are not so different in that sense. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Perfect time for the Team USA to shine!  

Boston sure could use another sport & team to root for right now!!!!   

Sure!  The Red Sox are ahead right now, but I have far more faith that team USA will win it all, than the Red Sox even cracking .500 for this 2014 season.

[/QUOTE]

Go USA .. GOOD LUCK !    But what a dam boring game. Soccer sucks for me anyways.Is it worth all that sweat for 1 or 2 goals. The way they keep going back and forth with no chance to score makes my neck sore. lol lol  I would last about 30 sec then drop.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I have never seen the appeal of soccer, and for that matter, hockey.  I may be showing my ignorance here, but they seem like very similar sports - one played on ice, one played on grass.

People tell me that these are the most exciting sports to watch.  Then again, they tell me that baseball is boring, so what do they know?

All that said, Go USA!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i am super frustrated from yesterdays match so will vent....

How horrible was that final minute???!!!

Horrible touch to give the ball away….should have just booted it 50 yards out of bounds.

Horrible job having defense back….how can the let ronaldino run down the right side with only 1 defender (trying) to mark him???

Horrible job of marking the goal scorer.

Horrible job by goalie to not attack that cross and knock it away or catch it.

This is why the world laughs at USA soccer.

other names i have posted under:  none

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i am super frustrated from yesterdays match so will vent....

How horrible was that final minute???!!!

Horrible touch to give the ball away….should have just booted it 50 yards out of bounds.

Horrible job having defense back….how can the let ronaldino run down the right side with only 1 defender (trying) to mark him???

Horrible job of marking the goal scorer.

Horrible job by goalie to not attack that cross and knock it away or catch it.

This is why the world laughs at USA soccer.

other names i have posted under:  none

[/QUOTE]

Well..considering that most people who follow the World Cup weren't picking them to win yesterday's match..I'll take the tie. It was pretty heartbreaking to see that goal by Portugal in the final seconds of stoppage time...but the tie keeps them in it for now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have never seen the appeal of soccer, and for that matter, hockey.  I may be showing my ignorance here, but they seem like very similar sports - one played on ice, one played on grass.

People tell me that these are the most exciting sports to watch.  Then again, they tell me that baseball is boring, so what do they know?

All that said, Go USA!

[/QUOTE]

HD TV has benefited hockey more than any sport.  Even with this, it is a sport best appreciated live.  I used to kick around with soccer during the summer to help with fall cross country. Playing it is far more exciting imho than watching.  I appreciate the athletes of soccer, they have to be able to run for hours and many can step on a track and kick out a 4:30 mile with ease.  I still have a hard time watching it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

All that said, Go USA!

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly Kimmi.  I was having this conversation with a friend of mine here in Los Angeles.  He is a long-time Dodger usher.  Diehard baseball guy.  We were watching the Portugal match yesterday.  And he was bemoaning what a boring game soccer was.  I asserted that many people say that about baseball too.  He seemed to take umbrage with my devil's advocate stance and proceeded to rattle off all of the exciting things about baseball and how if people think its boring they are just not seeing everything that is happening ... and, that is the exactly the point.  When one knows the strategic ways a soccer side can align itself, familiar plays that evolve for a given team, tendencies of individual players, the repetition of certain attacks that worked or the abandoning of attacks that didn't, etc etc.  well, then it becomes about much more exciting things than watching the ball bounce around and no one ever scoring.  Same as baseball.  soccer is an incredibly compelling spectator sport, but you have to know what you are watching.  i don't blame people who say baseball is boring.  I get it.  On the surface, it just may be.  But under the surface ...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

I'm a bona fide pink-hat soccer fan.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Exactly Kimmi.  I was having this conversation with a friend of mine here in Los Angeles.  He is a long-time Dodger usher.  Diehard baseball guy.  We were watching the Portugal match yesterday.  And he was bemoaning what a boring game soccer was.  I asserted that many people say that about baseball too.  He seemed to take umbrage with my devil's advocate stance and proceeded to rattle off all of the exciting things about baseball and how if people think its boring they are just not seeing everything that is happening ... and, that is the exactly the point.  When one knows the strategic ways a soccer side can align itself, familiar plays that evolve for a given team, tendencies of individual players, the repetition of certain attacks that worked or the abandoning of attacks that didn't, etc etc.  well, then it becomes about much more exciting things than watching the ball bounce around and no one ever scoring.  Same as baseball.  soccer is an incredibly compelling spectator sport, but you have to know what you are watching.  i don't blame people who say baseball is boring.  I get it.  On the surface, it just may be.  But under the surface ...

[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right Space.   To me, soccer consists of a bunch of guys running up and down the field kicking the ball around, in a manner that appears to me to be completely random.  In other words, I don't know what I'm watching and therefore can't appreciate the beauty of the sport.  

IMO, the interest and excitement levels also increase with knowing the players, and becoming emotionally invested in them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What axe to grind does the USA coach have that he left Landon Donovan off the team? Admittedly, he's past his prime, but still better than most of the players out there; including the experience factor.

A coach IMO should never alter his squad via petty political considerations. This is a player with great passion for the World Cup event, and is arguably the greatest American born soccer player ever; and is only 32.. For that reason, I have mixed feelings.