I Love Mike Carp. Nevermind everything I say

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Great Time to Sell Carp!

In response to softlaw2's comment:

On May 1, 2013, I'm putting this bum on the market.

S. Drew's up to the high 200's on OBP, and has his 1st HR. I hope he gets red hot for a few weeks, as that would be the prefect time to try and get another team to pay the rest of his 10M contract.

Our supporting cast is very important, if Carp keeps hitting I want him on our club this season and we wouldn't get much for him anyway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Who cares if he's hitting way over his head?

He is filling a need in a great way. It's shocking that any true fan can't just be happy with that, instead of digging his hole deeper and deeper.

"True fan"?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

I'm confused.

Softy's been saying all year that Carp is crap, so how can the Sox sell him? Who would want such a lousy player?

He does this all the time.

He blasted Jed as a "butcher with no pop" for years, then got upset that all we got for him was Melancon.

The 0.6 WHIP and 0.6 ERA Mark Melancon?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No, S. Drew is not an above average SS, and he hasn't been superior to much of anything for years.

Since the Sox aren't going to be "as long as" on the winning part, he's going somewhere else. Next season, he'll be one step closer to his last one year MLB contract.

It is "my money", as the Red Sox sell media time as well as seats and licensed producst, to the very public audience I am a part of.

A .193 BA and .292 OBP and a .625 isn't superior to anything. This guy's been a bum for years. No competent GM is going to invest time and money on S. Drew, but who says Cherry is competent.

Drew most definitely is "above average".

For all shortstops with aleast 300 games since 2010, Drew ranks 11th in Games/WAR, ahead of Desmond, Asdrubal Cabrera, Starlin Castro, Jeter, and, well, roughly 2/3 of the league....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: I Love Mike Carp. Nevermind everything I say

Carp has got to be one of the best bench guys up to this point. He can play LF/1b and has some "pop" in his bat from the left side. Inside out swing that will take advantage of the wall in Fenway along with some pull power we witnessed last night.

Im sure he'll come down to earth, but im enjoying the ride while it lasts. His career numbers arent bad at all. When he gets a chance to play a little, he can be an .800 OPS guy off the bench. Ill take that all day and Im sure every MLB team would too.

Softy grasping at things to whine about. Too funny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont get why we are blasting Softlaw on this one.  I think he's got a good point.

Carp is not a fit on this team.  He had a role before Ortiz returned; however, now that Ortiz is back, I dont see the point of carrying him on the 25 man.  A platoon left handed hitting outfielder, who can play a bit of first base.  We use to need two players like this (one for DH, one for LF); however, now, we only need one. 

We can say Carp has been a great left handed hitting platoon outfielder (which he has); however, we cannot say that he IS a great left handed hitting platoon outfielder (too small of a sample size).

We CAN say that Nava is a great platton left handed hitting outfielder.  He has a much more credible sample size. 

I completely agree with Softlaw that if we can get good value for Mike Carp, we should explore trading him right now when his value his high.  It really has nothing to do with not believing in Mike Carp; it has more to do with believing in Daniel Nava.

There roles are redundant, and if I had to choose, I'd go with Nava because of the larger sample size. 

I was about to start a thread asking if people thought Carp had any trade value, but stopped when I saw that one already existed.

So , Ill ask it here: what do you guys think of Carp's current trade value? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

And we still have Bradley, Hazelbaker in the minors should either Victorino or Ortiz need a DL stint.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I dont get why we are blasting Softlaw on this one.  I think he's got a good point.

Carp is not a fit on this team.  He had a role before Ortiz returned; however, now that Ortiz is back, I dont see the point of carrying him on the 25 man.  A platoon left handed hitting outfielder, who can play a bit of first base.  We use to need two players like this (one for DH, one for LF); however, now, we only need one. 

We can say Carp has been a great left handed hitting platoon outfielder (which he has); however, we cannot say that he IS a great left handed hitting platoon outfielder (too small of a sample size).

We CAN say that Nava is a great platton left handed hitting outfielder.  He has a much more credible sample size. 

I completely agree with Softlaw that if we can get good value for Mike Carp, we should explore trading him right now when his value his high.  It really has nothing to do with not believing in Mike Carp; it has more to do with believing in Daniel Nava.

There roles are redundant, and if I had to choose, I'd go with Nava because of the larger sample size. 

I was about to start a thread asking if people thought Carp had any trade value, but stopped when I saw that one already existed.

I don't think he has any trade value alone to be honest.  I think he would be a nice throw-in packaged with somebody else.  He doesn't have enough AB's to really prove anything.  I think he's worth more to us now then anybody we could get in return for him alone.

As for people insulting Softy.....that's what happens when you're the forum-fool.........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And we still have Bradley, Hazelbaker in the minors should either Victorino or Ortiz need a DL stint.

Totally disagree with you Drew...And Softy

Carp can spell Naps at 1b (Nava has very little exp. there), can be a solid LH option off the bench to PH, with some "pop" in his bat. If Ells or Vic goes down again, Carp is a solid replacement in LF, moving Nava over to RF. Papi could need rest with the heel and theres always the possibility of hurting himself again. Also, Nava usually comes back down to earth and has proved to be streaky. No guarantees hes going to hit like this all year. Carp is a great young guy to have on the bench, at a low cost.

Bradley should stay down in AAA and get the work he needs in. Hazelbaker and Brentz arent on the 40-man and someone would have to be DFA'd to put them on it. Plus, do you really think Haze will do well in MLB? I dont. He will be exposed in MLB badly. Why start Brentz clock unless hes going to stay in Boston for an extended period of time. doesnt make sense.Neither can bring you what Carp does, proven success in MLB.

I dont think your going to get much for Carp compared to what hes worth to this team, which is why he should just stay put.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

To be talking about two players, it's rare to find such a similar sample size, but it's what we have with Carp and Nava:

AB   HR   RBI  AVG  OBP   SLG

Carp  570    20   78  .265 .335   .442

Nava  509   12   77  .251  .357   .403

Nava switch hits, but is a defensive rookis at 1B. Carp has more power and is younger. Looks like Carp made be the better catch, but just by a tailfin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Carp can spell Naps at 1b (Nava has very little exp. there), can be a solid LH option off the bench to PH, with some "pop" in his bat. If Ells or Vic goes down again, Carp is a solid replacement in LF, moving Nava over to RF. Papi could need rest with the heel and theres always the possibility of hurting himself again. Also, Nava usually comes back down to earth and has proved to be streaky. No guarantees hes going to hit like this all year. Carp is a great young guy to have on the bench, at a low cost.

Bradley should stay down in AAA and get the work he needs in. Hazelbaker and Brentz arent on the 40-man and someone would have to be DFA'd to put them on it. Plus, do you really think Haze will do well in MLB? I dont. He will be exposed in MLB badly. Why start Brentz clock unless hes going to stay in Boston for an extended period of time. doesnt make sense.Neither can bring you what Carp does, proven success in MLB.

I dont think your going to get much for Carp compared to what hes worth to this team, which is why he should just stay put.

Good counter points.  However, I dont think that suggesting that assessing the market value for Carp right now because a) Carp has high year to date stats and a rival GM may be willing to provide "sell high" value and b) because his role is redundant w/ Nava's warrants a firestorm of insults.

If he doesnt have stand alone value, I agree with you.  However, if you can get value, I would consider pulling the trigger.  Its not a knock on Carp.  Its just trading from a position of strength (LF hitting platoon OF'ers) to fill a need.  But if Carp doesnt have trade value, I agree that he's more valuable as pop off the bench/depth.

Depends 100% on return.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to youkillus's comment:

To be talking about two players, it's rare to find such a similar sample size, but it's what we have with Carp and Nava:

AB   HR   RBI  AVG  OBP   SLG

Carp  570    20   78  .265 .335   .442

Nava  509   12   77  .251  .357   .403

Nava switch hits, but is a defensive rookis at 1B. Carp has more power and is younger. Looks like Carp made be the better catch, but just by a tailfin.

I completely forgot that Nava switch-hits!! Thanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Then there's injuries the great equalizer. Be careful what you wish for.
    Never get rid of a guy that comes off the bench cold, does his job, and helps the team win.
    Not me. Might be small sample, but I'll take my chances.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Good counter points.  However, I dont think that suggesting that assessing the market value for Carp right now because a) Carp has high year to date stats and a rival GM may be willing to provide "sell high" value and b) because his role is redundant w/ Nava's warrants a firestorm of insults.

If he doesnt have stand alone value, I agree with you.  However, if you can get value, I would consider pulling the trigger.  Its not a knock on Carp.  Its just trading from a position of strength (LF hitting platoon OF'ers) to fill a need.  But if Carp doesnt have trade value, I agree that he's more valuable as pop off the bench/depth.

Depends 100% on return.

Thats exactly the point I was making Drew. His worth to the Sox, IMO, is more than the return for him. I dont agree that him and Nava are totally redundant.

Its not easy to find a guy that can sit for days at a time and come in to perform like he has. Not saying he will do that every time, but has proved he can do it more times than not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Seattle Mariners found a limited trade market for Mike Carp only 10 weeks ago. I doubt the market has heated up 27 plate appearances later.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The Seattle Mariners found a limited trade market for Mike Carp only 10 weeks ago. I doubt the market has heated up 27 plate appearances later.

Admit that you were wrong on the Jaso for Morse trade!  That was a great trade for the Mariners, an okay trade for the A's, and a terrible trade for the Nats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Drewski, IMO you've got this all wrong, while southpaw is right. Nava switch hits, and this year at least 2 of his 5 homers are off lefthanders. Nava has made fantastic strides in getting his defense better, enough that Farrell trusts him in right field at Fenway Park. For a guy who almost didn't make the club out of ST, he's now a likely write-in All Star candidate.

That said, he also has a history of hot starts followed by cooling-off periods, whether due to wrist injury like in 2012 or other reasons. THIS is why we keep Mike Carp.  Ortiz missed 70 games last year, all of ST this year plus what, 20 + games already ? Carp is Big Papi AND Nava insurance.

Prompted by a great Pro-Jo article on Carp recently, I checked out his career ML and Milb numbers, spotted some anomalies, and cross-checked with another big LH hitter. Carp lost out in Seattle due to shoulder injury at start of 2012, and Ben Cherrington has supposedly wanted Carp for over a year now. The numbers / history show WHY...... he just might be David Ortiz Version 2  !  Prior to 2003, Ortiz was a big lh hitter with no place to play regularly, hadn't shown enough consistent power to secure a DH spot, yet had demonstrated good OBP . If you look at the years / progress of both player's careers, when "breakouts" took place at various levels, ( AA , then AAA , ML, etc. ) except for slightly better BB rates, Ortiz is really just Carp at one year younger at every step. So right now we may have the 2002 model of Papi sitting right there on our bench.

Ortiz is probably nearing his career's end, and definitely is a health risk. Carp probably will never duplicate Papi's greatness, but WHAT F HE DOES ?       The evidence suggests it is possible if unlkely. Plus Carp has consistently demonstrated a slight but noticeable reverse split every year in ML, suggesting he can be more than a platoon guy.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

And now, in case my argument for Carp needed any buttressing, Soft brain himself gives me independent confirmation !

Softbrain, who has been miraculously, consistently WRONG about every player and topic having to do with Red Sox personnel for over two years now, thinks Carp is worthless.

Thus, I must recalibrate.......Carp will end up in the Hall of Fame !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

No, S. Drew is not an above average SS, and he hasn't been superior to much of anything for years.

Since the Sox aren't going to be "as long as" on the winning part, he's going somewhere else. Next season, he'll be one step closer to his last one year MLB contract.

It is "my money", as the Red Sox sell media time as well as seats and licensed producst, to the very public audience I am a part of.

A .193 BA and .292 OBP and a .625 isn't superior to anything. This guy's been a bum for years. No competent GM is going to invest time and money on S. Drew, but who says Cherry is competent.

Career .264 hitter, five straight seasons with double digit homers, good fielder, patient hitter who works the count.  Ankle injury is the only thing that dropped his stock so Sox could get him on one year deal.  He has NOT been a bum for years.  I don' t know what you have been watching but it's not baseball.  And it's not your money unless his paycheck comes out of your account!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Admit that you were wrong on the Jaso for Morse trade!  That was a great trade for the Mariners, an okay trade for the A's, and a terrible trade for the Nats.

LOL

I've warmed to the trade although Michael Morse and John Jaso have been valued at 0.4 WAR* apiece so far this season. The Mariners got one year of team control of Morse while the Athletics got three years of team control of John Jaso.

You do the math.

The real world is not fantasy baseball (where I am grateful for Morse's contributions to my rotisserie team this season).

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3035&position=OF http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5887&position=C

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Carp will end up as a dead fish, in a very short time. This will be the best tiny windown to get a stupid GM to trade something with better fit. I suspect that when Carp does go, it will be when he's back at the bottom of the dumpster that the Red Sox pulled him out of.

I don't understand you. You were against picking him up for nothing, and now that you got some good for nothing you have deemed this as a failure. He is out performing Overbay who Carp beat out.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Meanwhile Carp just drove in a run off a lefty with a solid single.

Sections
Shortcuts