Great Win, But Can I See a Show of Hands, Drew Sits for Game 6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Great Win, But Can I See a Show of Hands, Drew Sits for Game 6

Unreal victory, but can we finally agree that for Game 6, Middlebrooks is at 3rd and Bogaerts at 2nd for the home crowd. 

Drew is now 1 for 16 in the series with 0 runs, 0 RBI's and 8 K's.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Great Win, But Can I See a Show of Hands, Drew Sits for Game 6

I think Drew plays Saturday.  He's not hitting a lick but he's playing solid defence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I think Drew plays Saturday.  He's not hitting a lick but he's playing solid defence.

Agree

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think Drew plays, because they have to like his ability to turn double plays, which have been by far their best defensive weapon this series.

Drew did a pretty nice job on that throw from Lester that upsets the timing of some shortstops, sometimes to the point of making it a routine force out.  Or worse.

If he does play, Farrell should at least consider dropping him down to eighth or ninth.  No reason to let Bogaerts hit there.  For a 21yo kid in the post-season, Xander has shown unreal poise at the plate...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't agree.  Middlebrooks should be in the lineup because we will need all the offense we can get and I think he is getting the short end of the stick.  Drew has fielded well but not that well that we can afford to have an automatic out in the lineup.  Go with Xander at short and WMB at third, which is exactly what the somewhat addled Farrell will just not do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If we were facing a lefty, Drew would probably be benched. Against Scherzer, I am pretty sure Farrell will stick with him.  I am not a big Drew fan , but he is better than he has looked so far. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't agree.  Middlebrooks should be in the lineup because we will need all the offense we can get and I think he is getting the short end of the stick.  Drew has fielded well but not that well that we can afford to have an automatic out in the lineup.  Go with Xander at short and WMB at third, which is exactly what the somewhat addled Farrell will just not do.

[/QUOTE]

Xander is not likely to get his feet wet at shortstop in Games 6 and 7 of the ALCS.

They do need offense, and unfortunately, that will mean they need some from Drew at some point.  Defensively, the Sox have killed endless Detroit (and even Tampa) rallies with some pretty timely double plays, and Drew has been a HUGE part of that.  Doubtful they test Xander's ability to duplicate these efforts on this stage.

As bad as Drew has been, let's not pretend Middlebrooks (1 for 10) is making himself look like an obvious solution when it comes to offense.  If he was on one of his ungodly hot streaks, it would make sense.  But he is not, and he is not likely to start one against Scherzer and Verlander...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we were facing a lefty, Drew would probably be benched. Against Scherzer, I am pretty sure Farrell will stick with him.  I am not a big Drew fan , but he is better than he has looked so far. 

[/QUOTE]

More valid points...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I agree that Middlebrooks could be the guy out if XB gets the start. Drew has me really annoyed watching him as an automatic out, however his defense is keeping him in the lineup. Drew neeeds to be dropped in the line up that's for sure. 

What really has me boggled is why Farrell had Middlebrooks PR for XB? Is he really faster than XB?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Right now, we need one of Clay or Lackey (or both if there is a game 7) to just go lights out.  Clay is due after he threw a stinker.  Lackey did his job in Game 3 splendidly.  If Drew's D helps that cause, then keep XB in there and WMB odd man out.

I just want one of our pitchers (outside of Koji) to shut up FOX and the whole Scherzer/Verlander/Sanchez (oops, he imploded Cool) lovefest.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That implies that MB will add offense.  If you add the end of the season to the playoffs, he is 12-81.  That's about .150.  There is no evidence to suggest that MB can outhit Drew at this point.

Just out of curiosity, Detroit has the identical problem.  They aren't scoring, yet they still keep putting Iglesias out there, even though he is not hitting.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

IMO Drew remains a fixture as far as the Sox go. Who is hitting other tan CC and AGon of thr four teams left standing. This is why they got Drew--to be dependable, catch the ball throw the ball and try to move some runners along.

Other than Ortiz's bomb what has he done than be a threat in the lineup.

I would keep last nights lineup in tact Sat--Yes Ross---Yes Xander, I think Xander will get energized and have a big game at Fenway--Yes Drew. 

Vic is mirred in a horrible slump or he's hurting physically. I would be inclined, if anything, to move Pedroia to the 2 hole Nap  to three, Ortiz to 4, Gomes to 5 and stick Vic in 9. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That implies that MB will add offense.  If you add the end of the season to the playoffs, he is 12-81.  That's about .150.  There is no evidence to suggest that MB can outhit Drew at this point.

Just out of curiosity, Detroit has the identical problem.  They aren't scoring, yet they still keep putting Iglesias out there, even though he is not hitting.

[/QUOTE]

Right. If you were Leyland would you bench Fielder? (The ADG formula). We'd love that wouldn't we?  I learned my lesson on that one;  wanted Francona to bench strikeout king Mark Bellhorn in 2004 playoffs. If he had, sox might not have won the series; very crucial hit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, but there is a little bit of difference between Iglesias and Drew in two big ways:

1. Iglesias is hitting .300, 2 runs scored, an RBI, 2 SAC's, and only 2 K's.  Drew is 1 for 17, 0 Runs, 0 RBI's and 8 K's. I wouldn't say .300 is not hitting.

2. Don't compare the fielding of Iglesias and Drew. Drew never makes that catch last night and a few of the other plays.

So in summary, it's not the identical problem. Far from it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IMO Drew remains a fixture as far as the Sox go. Who is hitting other tan CC and AGon of thr four teams left standing. This is why they got Drew--to be dependable, catch the ball throw the ball and try to move some runners along.

Other than Ortiz's bomb what has he done than be a threat in the lineup.

I would keep last nights lineup in tact Sat--Yes Ross---Yes Xander, I think Xander will get energized and have a big game at Fenway--Yes Drew. 

Vic is mirred in a horrible slump or he's hurting physically. I would be inclined, if anything, to move Pedroia to the 2 hole Nap  to three, Ortiz to 4, Gomes to 5 and stick Vic in 9. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He's a threat in the lineup.

The difference is that Ortiz isn't replaceable. Drew is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to piersall's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right. If you were Leyland would you bench Fielder? (The ADG formula). We'd love that wouldn't we?  I learned my lesson on that one;  wanted Francona to bench strikeout king Mark Bellhorn in 2004 playoffs. If he had, sox might not have won the series; very crucial hit.

[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between benching a threat in the middle of the lineup who isn't replaceable vs. someone at the bottom of the lineup who is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

notin made one of the key points.  Drew has done a fine job turning double plays, including a difficult one last night, and double plays have been crucial in this series.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agree

[/QUOTE]

Agree2

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

9th inning, men on 1st and 3d, Victorino fans swinging at two almost wild pitches.  Bench Vic.  Wait, he too is good on defense.  But you better believe he is hurting us on offense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I also agree that WMB should be in there instead of Drew at this point.....but JF already showed his cards last night....it's not going to happen as he prefers defense right now....which is not a bad thought process.

I think the bigger question is who plays and who sits between Carp, Nava and Gomes?  I prefer Nava because of how he works the pitchers....the more pitches Scherzer throws the better....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to piersall's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between benching a threat in the middle of the lineup who isn't replaceable vs. someone at the bottom of the lineup who is.

[/QUOTE]

Well..except that in reality Ortiz hasn't been all that much of a threat to the Tigers in this series.  At least it appears they don't feel he's a threat. They are not walking him intentionally and for the most part they have neutralized him with the shift. 

I say this knowing that Ortiz will not be benched and nor to I necessarily think he should be...but the argument that benching Drew because he is not producing at the plate is just as silly as the suggestion of benching Ortiz. Drew is not replaceable at short stop within our current roster. He's stronger in that position and you want your strongest guy. He may not be producing runs..but he is saving some and that is just as important.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No way Farrell will put a rookie SS in the must win game tomorrow nite. 

Drew is staying and more likely will stay at the same spot in the line up.  If Boston can get ten hits in the last two games with 3 and 4 runs scored, why bother to change the line up except Farrell want a catcher preference for each pitcher.  

If you think Drew should be bench cuz of his hitting, then Leyand of Detriot should bench Avila, Iggy and Jackson who are all hitting under .200.

That is not how it work.  You need an experience defender at the key position such as SS, LF, CF, etc to play good defense to keep the scoring down.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Excuse me, but there is a little bit of difference between Iglesias and Drew in two big ways:

1. Iglesias is hitting .300, 2 runs scored, an RBI, 2 SAC's, and only 2 K's.  Drew is 1 for 17, 0 Runs, 0 RBI's and 8 K's. I wouldn't say .300 is not hitting.

2. Don't compare the fielding of Iglesias and Drew. Drew never makes that catch last night and a few of the other plays.

So in summary, it's not the identical problem. Far from it.

[/QUOTE]

As I recall, Drew didn't make a defensive error that cost his team the game like Iggy did. And Drew's catch earlier in the series was just as good. And as I recall, Iggy couldn't make the play on Salty's game-winning hit in Game 2.

So can we please stop with this absurd notion that ONLY Iggy makes great plays, that Iggy makes EVERY play and NEVER makes a mistake. Drew did boot that one grounder earlier in the series but he's having a great series defensively and has been nearly automatic turning DP.

Iggy certainly is having a better series offensively, and good for him. But Drew is better than he's shown, so maybe he breaks out next game. Look how bad Napoli looked before his last two games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As much as some clowns try and claim Bogey is a better fielder than Drew, I do not think it is true.

I would like to see Bogey play again tonight, and I would not complain if it was at SS instead of 3B, but I think Middy should sit one more game, at least.

Sitting players based on a 16 PA sample size is not good baseball. I'm glad John didn't listen to the yahoos who wanted Napoli benched based on a recent slump.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Victorino is hitting just as badly. Do you want to sit him and put in Carp?

No?

oh.

Sections
Shortcuts