Great Win, But Can I See a Show of Hands, Drew Sits for Game 6

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: Great Win, But Can I See a Show of Hands, Drew Sits for Game 6

In response to freediro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree that Middlebrooks could be the guy out if XB gets the start. Drew has me really annoyed watching him as an automatic out, however his defense is keeping him in the lineup. Drew neeeds to be dropped in the line up that's for sure. 

What really has me boggled is why Farrell had Middlebrooks PR for XB? Is he really faster than XB?

[/QUOTE]

He's not faster than Bogaerts, but right now he is a better baserunner.  Witness Bogaerts base running error in the second when he failed to score from second on Ross' double.

Baserunning is not just about speed.  It's instincts as well.  Nava is fater than Ortiz, but Ortiz is the better baserunner because Papi seems to know when to go for the extra base and when not to.  Gomes is a great baserunner, but he would not be called fast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

I may be in the minority here, but despite Drew's complete ineptitude at the plate, his defense has almost evened it out (I say almost, but close enough).

No way Bogaerts pulls down that throw from Lester on the DP.

Drew plays with Bogaerts at 3rd

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right now, we need one of Clay or Lackey (or both if there is a game 7) to just go lights out.  Clay is due after he threw a stinker.  Lackey did his job in Game 3 splendidly.  If Drew's D helps that cause, then keep XB in there and WMB odd man out.

I just want one of our pitchers (outside of Koji) to shut up FOX and the whole Scherzer/Verlander/Sanchez (oops, he imploded Cool) lovefest.

[/QUOTE]

Clay wasn't all that impressive against Tampa either.   He grinded out those 6 innings in that start.   He is due for a stellar start, like 7 innings 5 hits with 1 or no runs allowed.   He can have filthy strike out stuff too.

Should be a good game.

Cannot expect Lackey to be as good as he was in game 3, so a potential game 7 scares teh crap out of me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Eddymon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Right now, we need one of Clay or Lackey (or both if there is a game 7) to just go lights out.  Clay is due after he threw a stinker.  Lackey did his job in Game 3 splendidly.  If Drew's D helps that cause, then keep XB in there and WMB odd man out.

I just want one of our pitchers (outside of Koji) to shut up FOX and the whole Scherzer/Verlander/Sanchez (oops, he imploded Cool) lovefest.

[/QUOTE]

Clay wasn't all that impressive against Tampa either.   He grinded out those 6 innings in that start.   He is due for a stellar start, like 7 innings 5 hits with 1 or no runs allowed.   He can have filthy strike out stuff too.

Should be a good game.

Cannot expect Lackey to be as good as he was in game 3, so a potential game 7 scares teh crap out of me.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

They've got the Tigers down.

Clay and the Sox need to deliver the knock out punch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Drew plays Saturday.  He's not hitting a lick but he's playing solid defence.

[/QUOTE]

Agree

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I don't agree.  Middlebrooks should be in the lineup because we will need all the offense we can get and I think he is getting the short end of the stick.  Drew has fielded well but not that well that we can afford to have an automatic out in the lineup.  Go with Xander at short and WMB at third, which is exactly what the somewhat addled Farrell will just not do.

[/QUOTE]

Fred, Middlebrooks is batting .100 and Drew is batting .059. The difference in how much these players has stunk is minimal, but at least Drew is playing good defense and is a LHH vs RHP. I wish we could bench both of them, but we can't. I say Middlebrooks, who is totally lost at the plate (again) sits.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Guys go through slumps for a week or two, it's normal, and there are some great pitchers out there too. 

Weary of the Iggy thing.  He did make a costly error in the one game, and that great catch last night preceded an at bat in which he struck out with a risp on a ball that bounced to the plate.  I know he seems to hit for average somehow, but I'm glad when he's at the plate in big situations rather than any of his teammates.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

It's not like everyone else in the lineup is hitting 0.300, and only Drew is struggling.  You can add Vic, Papi, Middlebrooks to the struggles.

Drew is experienced, very cool under pressure, and still has the potential to deliver with his bat, as he has demonstrated.  His smarts and capabilities on the field cannot be underestimated.

At this stage in the playoffs, guys like him contribute in many different ways to win that they cannot be evaluated only on their batting performance.

I doubt if Drew is not on the lineup against Scherzer and/or Verlander, and I think he will have a good game with the bat too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

people hate on drew.  the dude has played awesome defense.  turning crazy DP's.  has to be starting.  WMB / X-Bo i have no issues with either starting at 3b.  although one can say that X-bo has certainly earned the right....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

people hate on drew.  the dude has played awesome defense.  turning crazy DP's.  has to be starting.  WMB / X-Bo i have no issues with either starting at 3b.  although one can say that X-bo has certainly earned the right....

[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'm not giving up those DPs for a few more BA points.

He, Pedey and Napoli have bailed out the pitching staff big time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

First, I agree with the camp that says Drew and Middlebrooks pretty much equal in offensive offense; but Drew's solid work at SS says he stays, Middlebrooks sits.

But, second, I think all of this benching talk is a little crazy.  This is baseball.  Playoff baseball no less.  A .300 hitter rarely goes out and consistently gets 3 hits every 10 at bats.  Guys are hot and cold.  There was a lot of call to bench Napoli when he was an automatic strike out a few games ago.  But, as is his m.o., he suddenly could see the ball, he's hitting .375, and there is chatter that he might be series MVP should they win (I disagree there, clearly Koji).  You have to allow for guys to struggle.  Not saying line-ups shouldn't be shaken up.  It was great, and probably overdue, to get Boegarts in.  Had a dynamic effect on the offense.  But, as a manager, you do have to allow that a guy might scuffle for a few games, even in the playoffs.  You never know what clicks and gets a guys bat going.  It could happen any time.  

Related, how much you wanna bet Mr. .105 has something big to say with his bat before this series is over?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

In response to KRomine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I may be in the minority here, but despite Drew's complete ineptitude at the plate, his defense has almost evened it out (I say almost, but close enough).

No way Bogaerts pulls down that throw from Lester on the DP.

Drew plays with Bogaerts at 3rd

[/QUOTE]

Xander is 6'3 vs Drew 6'0---he might have had as much success on that play.

I love Xander and his time as a full time player someplace on this team will come next season. perhaps even before if we make it to the WS.

For me, IMO, I want the guys that got us this far take us to the WS. WMB, Drew, Pedroia and Nap. These two pitchers, we can potentially face, Max and Justin--throw strikes. Nava will not be working pitch counts against them. Isay the the OF of Gomes, Ells and Vic. Catching is my dilema: I like both Ross and Salty. I like the grey in Ross's beard. I like his pitch calling. I like his accuracy throwing to second. I'd like Ross catching Buch and if need be Salty seems to have good karma with Lackey.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

seriously? do you need to start a different "sit Drew" thread every day?

Id be more worried about your #2 hitter than your #8 guy. Priorities.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"seriously? do you need to start a different "sit Drew" thread every day?"

it's kinda pathetic really. 

especially given how much of the lineup has struggled. 

There are plenty of guys that have not hit in this series against this pitching. Where is your bench Victorino thread? 

There was a point to putting Bogey in play but now that he is getting playing time I think we're good. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

Salty & Xander tomorrow posted

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

glad drew didnt sit.  he schooled iggy defensively.  dont let buck and McCarver let you know though....they still waxing about iggy and it's 2 days later.....

Sections
Shortcuts