Greinke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Re: Greinke

Please no.

At this point, probably the only trade that would put the Sox in contention is King Felix. 

Anyone out there read OBF's letter to John Henry?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In Response to Re: Greinke:
    [QUOTE]If they Sox lose the Yank series, I say time to look ahead.   But they can still trade for the future, and make the season interesting. Greinke's drugs are no different than taking meds for blood pressure or anything else, it is a chemical thing.   Obviously they work, because he is still a major league pitcher and pitching half the season on the road.   And pitching great. Face it, Farrell left us too early.  He should be the manager, and be watching over the pitchers ... and then Lester and co. would have kept on pitching good, with no clubhouse BS.   I like BV.  But he needs a better pitching coach for these slugs.
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

Agree x 1000! I have petitioned on the forum for Farrell's hiring in the upcoming offseason. He was mentioned as a candidate before BV was brought in and Toronto said they wouldn't prevent him from pursuing opportunities with the Sox. I say bring him in - he would do wonders to restore order to the clubhouse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

How did he not beat out Valentine for this job?  I will never understand that.  Were they worried about familiarity?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

[QUOTE]How did he not beat out Valentine for this job?  I will never understand that.  Were they worried about familiarity?
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Most likely...they were trying to make drastic changes and bringing in a fresh face/view. Bringing in Farrell at the time would've signified minimal change. I feel like if he was brought in for next season, it would be different. The honus is on the players this year. After struggling all season - I feel like the players would welcome it because it would be seen as a "Farrell to the rescue" type thing. First thing he would do is say "Beckett, run some laps - you're fat", "Lester, you're mechanics are off - lets change them" etc. I feel like he has a previous working relationship with the players and has their respect. He's also a fresh face, but one in which the players have some familiarity. Valentine was supposed to be a wakeup call - not a long term solution.

As far as your other post about Felix - I don't even think he could help this season. However, he is a great building block for next season and beyond and I would still consider any avenues of acquiring him. I would love to see King and Prince Felix lead the rotation next year with Lester and (unfortunately) Lackey behind them and a battle for the fifth spot.

Move Beckett and as little money as possible at all costs....I don't care if we get a PTBNL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]How did he not beat out Valentine for this job?  I will never understand that.  Were they worried about familiarity?
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

He could beat out Valentine for the job, but Farrell is already have a contract with the Blue Jays.  Meaning, Boston would more likely give compensation to the Blue Jays!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Oh....it's possible. I didn't recall that change of stance. Well...a poor Sox fan can hope, right? Maybe after a sub-par season up in Toronto they'd reconsider.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greinke : Toronto said they wouldn't prevent him from pursuing opportunities with the Sox. I thought they restated their position on that saying  quite clearly   'no f'n way'
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE] that was before the compensation fight over Epstein....now they'll demand compensation .But if you see the jays forum Farrell is really hated over there so maybe not too much compensation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Greinke": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greinke : Toronto said they wouldn't prevent him from pursuing opportunities with the Sox. I thought they restated their position on that saying  quite clearly   'no f'n way' Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE] You are correct...The Jays even altered their own policy to prevent lateral moves. Farrell is one of the most respected, well-liked guys in the game. He would have been a natural choice to succeed Tito....

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

my recollection is, the jays initially did say they wouldn't stand in his way of returning to Boston, but wanted to be heavily compensated. Reportedly, they wanted Ellsbury in the deal, so the Sox moved on. Farrell is under contract with Toronto thru next season, which is why I think BV was given a two year deal, as a bridge back to Farrell. They then did restate and change their policy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

You re right some of your guys that Toronto suddenly revised their policy that they are not allow to interview for another job if they already have a contract with the organization.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

If Bobby V can get the right pieces to rebuild he can be successful.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Greinke": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greinke : But if you see the jays forum Farrell is really hated over there interesting I did not know that is it just a case of replacing the popular Cito Gaston Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE] I'd be surprised if any manager was popular on any "fan forum." Tito was arguably the most successful manager in 100 years of Sox history and he even gets killed on this board....

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greinke : Too many minuses. His record at home is extraordinarily better than the road. His ERA at the old YS is 8.82.  His ERA at the new place is far, far worse. His ERA in the playoffs is abysmal. That all sounds like he doesn't like pressure.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Your basing this on 16.2 IPs of playoff pitching, and 2 IPs against NY in the new stadium.
    What a tool.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Greinke": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greinke : Your basing this on 16.2 IPs of playoff pitching, and 2 IPs against NY in the new stadium. What a tool. Posted by harv53[/QUOTE] Harv, Joe was referring to the old Yankee Stadium. Do you really want Greinke? If so, you are hoping the Sox, who are in last place, trade some of their top prospects for a free agent to be pitcher who will likely command a contract this off season north of a 100 million, yet some pretty knowledgeable baseball people question whether he can handle pitching in a big market? This doesn't make any sense to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Greinke": Harv, Joe was referring to the old Yankee Stadium. Do you really want Greinke? If so, you are hoping the Sox, who are in last place, trade some of their top prospects for a free agent to be pitcher who will likely command a contract this off season north of a 100 million, yet some pretty knowledgeable baseball people question whether he can handle pitching in a big market? This doesn't make any sense to me.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Where else are you going to get an ace?

Not necessarily saying I want him, but if we pass, there's risk in that.  The risk is that we go 3-4 years without a true #1 pitcher.

While there is debate re: whether Greinke will be able to handle a big market, there is no debate that he has "ace stuff."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Have you guys seen Greinke pitch?  He's very very good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greinke : Where else are you going to get an ace? Not necessarily saying I want him, but if we pass , there's risk in that.  The risk is that we go 3-4 years without a true #1 pitcher. While there is debate re: whether Greinke will be able to handle a big market, there is no debate that he has "ace stuff."
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Funny how no one questions whether or not Bailey can pitch in a big market, and he only has 3 years of service (injured years I might add).
    I suppose we should just stand pat, we do have Lackey coming back next year.
    Besides, Ben is looking for a number 3 or 4 starter. I wonder who he thinks our number 1 and 2 are?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Greinke": Harv, Joe was referring to the old Yankee Stadium. Do you really want Greinke? If so, you are hoping the Sox, who are in last place, trade some of their top prospects for a free agent to be pitcher who will likely command a contract this off season north of a 100 million, yet some pretty knowledgeable baseball people question whether he can handle pitching in a big market? This doesn't make any sense to me.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

No, he said he was bad at the old YS and even worse at the new one. He pitched 2 innings in 2011 in the new stadium and hasn't pitched there yet this year. Granted, his carreer numbers at the old YS are not good overall.

But you might find it interesting that he hasn't pitched there since 2008, and he posted a 3.09 ERA in 2 starts there then. The worse numbers were much earlier in his career.

So Mr Breidy is being disingenuous by not giving us all the facts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Greinke : Funny how no one questions whether or not Bailey can pitch in a big market, and he only has 3 years of service (injured years I might add). I suppose we should just stand pat, we do have Lackey coming back next year. Besides, Ben is looking for a number 3 or 4 starter. I wonder who he thinks our number 1 and 2 are?
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point. Well put.

Sections
Shortcuts