Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?

from Yardbarker.com

This should blow your mind a little bit:

Player A:      Player B:

AB            397          398

Hits           136          127

Runs           68            73

Doubles      30            26

Triples          3              2

HR             17            16

Player A is Adrian Gonzalez.  No surprise.  

Player B is Jacoby Ellsbury.  Mind Blown?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?

Not really. Ells is having a monster year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from swhiting. Show swhiting's posts

Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?

I am surprised, but Jacoby just keeps on growing as a player. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Ells is in the middle of a breakout season fit only for future superstars.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Quick!!!!! trade him for Matt Kemp before he gets any better

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Here are my top 5 for MPV:

Gonzalez
    Bautista
    Grandreson
    Ellsbury
    Beltre
    Youkilis

3 of the top 6 are Sox.  That's the way I see it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Ells has been terrific but Gonzales has a significantly higher batting average.  I'm too lazy to look it up at this moment but it's about .348 for Gonzo and .321 for Ellsbury.  If the game is on the line I want AGON at the plate.  He's a 'professional hitter' and has proven it over the years.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pasoxfan2005. Show Pasoxfan2005's posts

In Response to Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?:
    from Yardbarker.com This should blow your mind a little bit:            Player A:      Player B:  AB            397          398 Hits           136          127 Runs           68            73 Doubles      30            26 Triples          3              2 HR             17            16 Player A is Adrian Gonzalez.  No surprise.   Player B is Jacoby Ellsbury.  Mind Blown?
    Posted by Mr.Bump

Don't know which is more surprising, the closeness on the HR's or that AGon has more triples.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The better Ellsbury becomes, the richer Scott Boras becomes.  lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

In Response to Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?:
    Here are my top 5 for MPV: Gonzalez Bautista Grandreson Ellsbury Beltre Youkilis 3 of the top 6 are Sox.  That's the way I see it.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

Shocking that mongo the fanboy would pick three sawx in his top 6. I'm just suprised you don't have them listed as 1, 2 and 3.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?:
    In Response to Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised? : Shoking that mongo the fanboy would pick three sawx in his top 6. I'm just suprised you don't have them listed as 1, 2 and 3.
    Posted by -The--Babe----------

Ummm, who belongs in there over them?  Lets hear your argument.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

substitute Pedroia for Youk

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

substitute Pedroia for Youk
    Posted by soxnewmex

That is a very good point.  I just didn't include him because of his slow start.  But you are right, I may give him the slight edge over Youk.  So:

6.  Pedroia
    7.  Youkilis

4 out of the top 7 are Sox.  Not too shabby.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe----------. Show -The--Babe----------'s posts

In Response to Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised? : Ummm, who belongs in there over them?  Lets hear your argument.

I would say konerko and cabrera over youk. Like the other poster stated, even pedroia over youk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

In Response to Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised? : I would say konerko and cabrera over youk. Like the other poster stated, even pedroia over youk.
    Posted by -The--Babe----------

I'll accept that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Quick!!!!! trade him for Matt Kemp before he gets any better
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

I would miss the reverse pivot too much.  Don't do that to me!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Here are my top 5 for MPV: Gonzalez Bautista Grandreson Ellsbury Beltre Youkilis 3 of the top 6 are Sox.  That's the way I see it.

Youkilis? Really? It's certainly not for his 3rd Base play. His average is slightly below his usual standards as well. IMO there's certainly more deserving guys: Miguel Cabrera, Asdrubal Cabrera, Konerko, perhaps Beckett, Weaver, Sabathia, or Verlander.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Ellsbury is having a career year, a great year, but AGon is the key--batting average, OPS, and the ever popular rbi's which go unmentioned in the OP. 

The really good news is that Ellsbury's numbers are better than Pedroia's were in 2008 when he won the AL MVP. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Ellsbury is having a career year, a great year, but AGon is the key--batting average, OPS, and the ever popular rbi's which go unmentioned in the OP.  The really good news is that Ellsbury's numbers are better than Pedroia's were in 2008 when he won the AL MVP. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Don't tell Softy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Pedroia hit .340 in June and is at .416 in July.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Nice thread.

I knew the first but was guessing second.  

We should enjoy before Boras gets Jake into another uni ....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maddog2020. Show maddog2020's posts

The sad thing is Elsbury will be having those season for the Yankees when he becomes a free agent - they will throw the bank at him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffh102082. Show jeffh102082's posts

That will probably happen too

The sad thing is Elsbury will be having those season for the Yankees when he becomes a free agent - they will throw the bank at him.
    Posted by maddog2020

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

The truly mindblowing stat there is that Gonzo has more tripples than Elsbury!

Els is having a great season, this is going to make the MVP race interesting if they both keep it up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The only thing I am surprised about is Ells' power surge this year. He worked very hard while injured to rehab and then vastly improved his upper body strength over the winter. His growth at the plate recognizing pitches and driving balls inside have led to his power as well. He is without question, in my opinion, the best leadoff hitter in MLB.

Having said that, it truly is time for all of you out there, with particular focus on Softy, to apologize to Ells and all of his fans for the bashing last year for not being able to come back from 5 broken ribs. Softy for once, just once, needs to flatly say "I was wrong about Ells". Man up, Softy c'mon Man, just say it so we can move on. Set aside your Trollness just once. I'll bet a paycheck you simply can't do it sincerely.

Sections
Shortcuts