Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?

Youkilis? Really? It's certainly not for his 3rd Base play. His average is slightly below his usual standards as well. IMO there's certainly more deserving guys: Miguel Cabrera, Asdrubal Cabrera, Konerko

FGrphs WAR 2011    OPS+       BBref WAR

M Cabrera   3.6           176               3.8
    Youk           3.5           144               4.0
    A Cabrera    3.5           133               3.2
    Konerko      2.3            150              2.8

All 4 are considered poor fielders this year.    Youk is considered the best base runner by quite a bit.  Playing 1b hurts WAR value.

If you don't like WAR that is great, you don't need to comment on that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?

I was all for trading Ellsbury last year, and in a way still am.

Here me out. It's not that I didn't think he would come back from the injury, I didn't consider him damaged goods. But there was some tension there last year between him and the team. Traditionally, tension between a player and team doesn't work itself out in Boston until the player is on his way elsewhere. I think the injury and resulting hard feelings on both sides damaged his relationship with the team and made it unlikely he'd stay in Boston long term, unless, of course, the Sox happen to be the highest bidder for him when the time comes.

I don't know where Ellsbury stands right now as far as the Sox go. The team seemed to question him, he certainly questioned the team, and there were articles written about him being soft, as far back as when he was in the minors. The "run him out of town" smear campaign was in full force last year. So, unless he's totally over it, I find that, combined with Scott Boras, to make it unlikely he stays with the Sox long term. It also doesn't help that they've thrown big contracts at Lackey and Crawford, so surely one of their own is going to expect the same thing, especially if he has Boras representing.

He's had a great year, and my thoughts on this have nothing to do with his performance or what he's added to the team this season. I just see him as being very difficult to re-sign and moving him while they still have him under their control might not be a bad idea. After last year, and Boras in the picture, I don't see him giving a hometown discount like Lester or Pedroia did, and oddly enough the Sox always seem to hesitate when it comes to throwing massive amounts of money at their own players. It just adds up to him not being here in the long run.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Ellsbury is certainly a viable candidate however, there is still alot of season left and baseball being a dynamic event many things can change...

In a "strange" sort of way, I could agree that Ellsbury is more of a "valuable" player to the RS than Gonzalez.  Think about it... In addition to this year's power, consistency and average Ellsbury has added to the RS success with his speed.  I also believe Ellsbury's defense has contributed more to the RS success than Gonzalez's defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Guess which two A.L. MVP candidates have virtually identical numbers? Surprised?:
    [QUOTE]Youkilis? Really? It's certainly not for his 3rd Base play. His average is slightly below his usual standards as well. IMO there's certainly more deserving guys: Miguel Cabrera, Asdrubal Cabrera, Konerko FGrphs WAR 2011    OPS+       BBref WAR M Cabrera   3.6            176                3.8 Youk           3.5           144               4.0 A Cabrera    3.5           133               3.2 Konerko      2.3            150              2.8 All 4 are considered poor fielders this year.    Youk is considered the best base runner by quite a bit.  Playing 1b hurts WAR value. If you don't like WAR that is great, you don't need to comment on that.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Youk is a better baserunner then Adsdrubal Cabrera, an athletic 2b-SS who you have categorized as a bad fielder? Harness and I had him pegged about a month ago as a GGer, so I don't agree with that at all. Also, I went to 2 RS-Pitt games this yr, Youk made 1 error, and a few other balls just waded by him; he's been pretty bad there this yr, largely due to his foot; as a result in person he looked almost as slow as Ortiz; I would think that would put the carbache on his baserunning as a positive factor.  

This is not rotisserie baseball.

Sections
Shortcuts