Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben

Phillies signed Cole Hamels to a six-year, $144 million extension with an option for 2019.

Hamels' contract is the second-richest ever for a pitcher, trailing only CC Sabathia's seven-year, $161 million contract with the Yankees. The deal will carry an AAV (average annual value) of $24 million, which equals that of his teammate Cliff Lee. Hamels will be signed through his age-34 season. Per MLB Trade Rumors, the Phillies hold a $20 million club option for 2019, but the option can also vest at $24 million if Hamels reaches certain benchmarks. The deal also includes limited no-trade protection. In a vacuum, it's a reasonable deal for a franchise which continues to sell out their home ballpark and has a lucrative television deal coming down the road. But with so much money tied up in so few players, one wonders whether the Phillies will be able to surround him with a quality supporting cast.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben

I know.....but we know how "cost conscious" they are....lol

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

The Phillies FO has to be seriously flawed. Sinking so much money into a pitching staff while marketing your youngest and best offensive star as trade bait? The team is older, the pitching staff's Ace's are really getting up there and the team isn't very good. Wow!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Heck, I don't think the Phillies were well served by signing Papelbon for $55M for five years.  He is only slightly better than Aceves, and I think Bailey will end up being the closer. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Phills are putting themselves in the situation we are in now........overpaid aging vets...must be a post WS thing

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

One thing to overpay for some vets but makes sure some of them can hit the ball, they are putting it all into pitching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Just had a thought, maybe they plan to trade Lee if another team takes the salary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

What should Boston do?  Get Hanley or Wady or Hamels or etc who all are paying over 10 to 15 million dollars a year???  Come on, Boston isnt going to take any more bad contract again!!

If Boston ever want to make a trade, go after Felix!!

Hamels is soon to sign a contract that is worth 24 million dollars a year.  Ridiculous contract.  Phillies is soon going to going over take Boston for having the most bad contract players in MLB!!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

The only pitcher they should be interested in at all is King Felix.

Top of the rotation bulldog who's going to give this team 7+ innings every start with a sub 3 era.   Arguably the best starter in the game right now.  Sox haven't had an ace since Pedro; this is the guy to get. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Obviously , Ben does not have the blank check privileges that John Henry gave to Theo. Sox will have to find a way to shed some of the bad contracts before they spend big bucks again.  That is the sad reality.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben:
    The only pitcher they should be interested in at all is King Felix. Top of the rotation bulldog who's going to give this team 7+ innings every start with a sub 3 era.   Arguably the best starter in the game right now.  Sox haven't had an ace since Pedro; this is the guy to get. 
    Posted by soups

However, the Red Sox probably lack the goods to make a credible offer for Felix Hernandez.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

What in the hell is ben doing? He has missed out on a lot of deals including Henley and Wandy. Is this guy afraid? Are his hands really strapped? This season is probably over get moving to unload payroll. I sure as hell hope he is working on two blockbusters. For if he does not pull off at least one I will be after him for the rest of my life. I will start calling him every day as I do the white house demanding he resign for the good of the country (red sox).
    Posted by teddybaseball009

You re a joke!!!  Where can Hanley play?  Oh wait, get rid of Middlebrook, and play Hanley at 3B.   Wady is paid over 13 million dollars a year and he is a lefty.  Does Boston have enough left handed pitcher in the rotation??   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben : However, the Red Sox probably lack the goods to make a credible offer for Felix Hernandez.
    Posted by hill55

I hate when I actually get my hopes up for this, but was listening to Mike & Mike this morning (I think it was them, some ESPN radio talking heads anyway) and they were talking about Seattle wanting to move him now and the Sox actually having the best possible packages for him.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben : You missed the Babe funeral. Seperate caskets for him and the parrot. Better check out the will since I think that he left you something.
    Posted by Calzone65

wow, can't let that go huh?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Re: Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben : I hate when I actually get my hopes up for this, but was listening to Mike & Mike this morning (I think it was them, some ESPN radio talking heads anyway) and they were talking about Seattle wanting to move him now and the Sox actually having the best possible packages for him.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Herein lies the problem. If we can't provide Buchholz any RS, how do expect that we can for Felix?
    Besides, we already have a Felix, and a Poindexter, and a Professor, and a General Clang, and a Master Cylinder.
    what more can we ask for?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Hamels off the market.......the pool is dwindling Ben : Herein lies the problem. If we can't provide Buchholz any RS, how do expect that we can for Felix? Besides, we already have a Felix, and a Poindexter, and a Professor, and a General Clang, and a Master Cylinder. what more can we ask for?
    Posted by harv53

Hahaha.  Nice Harv.  But seriously, ok, last night Clay didn't get much support.  But scoring runs is not the issue with this club.  Its starting pitching.  Period.  Even the best offensive clubs are going to have nights where the bats aren't popping.  Thats baseball.  But when your top of the rotation guys can't pitch well consistently, that spells doom.  Hernandez would go a long way to fix that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

shhh...young ben is still napping...dont wake him...plus he's all tuckered out making his round the clock brent lillibridge deals

Sections
Shortcuts