Hamilton/Angels nearing deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jburtt. Show jburtt's posts

Re: Hamilton/Angels nearing deal

Can we please sign someone who is not over the hill. This is going to be a tough team to watch. Hopefully they are not done making moves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Does 5/125 for 31 year old Hamilton and 5/75 for 28 year old Upton build the framework for what 30 years old Ellsbury worth will be?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Ellsbury will get closer to Upton's salary above unless he has another MVP type year this year.  Upton is no middle of the order guy people.  I would rather have Swisher for 3/39 or 4/48 frankly.  AL east tested, switch hitter, 1st or OF.  Pop in the bat, etc.  I think Sox need to go swisher and 1 more pitcher...be it lohse, jackson, etc.

Ellsbury

pedroia

ortiz

napoli

swisher

middlebrooks

victorino

salty

iglesis

gomes

ciriaco

ross

lavarnway

lester

buch

lackey

dempster

jackson/lohse

bailey

aceves

melancon

morales

tarazwa

breslow

miller

bard

Is this sure fire top of the division...no.  But who is.  Tampa got worse in the short term.  Yankees are certainly no better if not worse with their injuries/age and no swisher or ichiro(so far), toronto is certainly better on paper, etc.  We are deep, and our long term contract situation is much better as well.  Even Lackey's contract isn't terrible now that the extra year is factored in as long as he can get back to at least close to what he was. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

so 5 years 125 for hamilton, apparently the sox cant afford that? really? i would have given hamilton that deal in a heartbeat. the sox need a middle of the order bat, napoli gomes victorino dont count for that. justin upton would be the guy now. 

[/QUOTE]

But they can afford a 35 year-old pitcher with questionable ability to pitch against the better teams of the AL for 26.5 million.  Which also means Sanchez will not be coming to Boston.

The pitching has gotten no better and they still have not replaced AGon's RBI production.  But they have managed to spend the 125 million that Hamilton cost on backups and platoon players and #4-5 starter depth.  Yea!

[/QUOTE]

That is kind of funny, becuse last year half the stories were about how Gonzalez was lacking in production and this guy was not what the Sox were supposed to have acquired.

Hey, on another thread, you wanted the Sox to be more like the Rays.  So then when they act more like the Rays, you apparently do not want that, either.     

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to parhunter55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

so 5 years 125 for hamilton, apparently the sox cant afford that? really? i would have given hamilton that deal in a heartbeat. the sox need a middle of the order bat, napoli gomes victorino dont count for that. justin upton would be the guy now. 

[/QUOTE]

But they can afford a 35 year-old pitcher with questionable ability to pitch against the better teams of the AL for 26.5 million.  Which also means Sanchez will not be coming to Boston.

The pitching has gotten no better and they still have not replaced AGon's RBI production.  But they have managed to spend the 125 million that Hamilton cost on backups and platoon players and #4-5 starter depth.  Yea!

[/QUOTE]

That is kind of funny, becuse last year half the stories were about how Gonzalez was lacking in production and this guy was not what the Sox were supposed to have acquired.

Hey, on another thread, you wanted the Sox to be more like the Rays.  So then when they act more like the Rays, you apparently do not want that, either.     

[/QUOTE]

Its the same ol' song and dance with some of these guys. Funny stuff. They want this team to do one thing, so later on when they do that one thing, The same people now dont like that. Never satisfied I guess.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ellsbury will get closer to Upton's salary above unless he has another MVP type year this year.  Upton is no middle of the order guy people.  I would rather have Swisher for 3/39 or 4/48 frankly.  AL east tested, switch hitter, 1st or OF.  Pop in the bat, etc.  I think Sox need to go swisher and 1 more pitcher...be it lohse, jackson, etc.

Ellsbury

pedroia

ortiz

napoli

swisher

middlebrooks

victorino

salty

iglesis

gomes

ciriaco

ross

lavarnway

lester

buch

lackey

dempster

jackson/lohse

bailey

aceves

melancon

morales

tarazwa

breslow

miller

bard

Is this sure fire top of the division...no.  But who is.  Tampa got worse in the short term.  Yankees are certainly no better if not worse with their injuries/age and no swisher or ichiro(so far), toronto is certainly better on paper, etc.  We are deep, and our long term contract situation is much better as well.  Even Lackey's contract isn't terrible now that the extra year is factored in as long as he can get back to at least close to what he was. 

[/QUOTE]

What have you done with our talented young lefty Felix Doubront??? not even the bullpen?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

I think 5/125 for Hamilton was a good deal, people think hes just gonna fall of the earth in the next couple years, wake up! he hit 43 HRs last year and he is still one of the most talented guys out there. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Michaelkayn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think 5/125 for Hamilton was a good deal, people think hes just gonna fall of the earth in the next couple years, wake up! he hit 43 HRs last year and he is still one of the most talented guys out there. 

[/QUOTE]

Some of his injuries and all the drug use will catch up with him. A lot of teams were not thrilled with his physicals...LAA made an impulse buy IMO. I wouldve offered 3 years at the most...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

True, Hamilton is going to slow down in coming years, will he drop off the table? who knows.

But I personally think if not for his bad second half people would think this was a steal at those years and dollars, am I saying theres no truth to the concern about Hamilton? not at all, but I think its been exaggerated, kinda like when Pujols had a bad start and all the sports writers where saying "Pujols is done!" they seem to like to do that. yes there are legit concerns about how his body will hold up as he ages and theres always the lingering cloud of his past that seems to follow him around. but even his second half numbers were pretty good aside from his BA, in the second half he ranked 8th in the AL in HR with 16 and 6th in RBI with 53, 16/53 is a pretty good secong half, worth 25mil? no, but he will most likely put up better numbers then that for the first three years of this deal, unless his health goes away on him altogether.

and although he has a history of drug and alchohol abuse he also does not have the normal wear and tear of a 31yo outfielder which cant hurt as he gets older, it's possible that he looses something or cant stay healthy, but if he does stay healthy he may turn out to be a steal and if he has another MVP type year in 13 alot of the talk about his age/past will go away