Hamilton to the Yankees Fodd fir Thought.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Hamilton to the Yankees Fodd fir Thought.

My personal feeling is that the Yankees are going o pounce on Hamilton, this is why they were in no rush to sugn Icihirro. They played this game before with Teixeir prior to the 2009 season and I do not believe anything about money problems with luxury taxes. That money is beer money to that franchise and they will gladly pay it for playoff money down the road. I have never trusted Brian " no chin" Cashman even back in 2009 when he denied they were in on Teixeira then all of a sudden he signed with the Yankees. Watch it happen again. The other point is that they lost Arod for 4 months as well and will look for his numbers to be replaced somehow and this fits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Hamilton to the Yankees Fodd fir Thought.

In response to AL34's comment:

My personal feeling is that the Yankees are going o pounce on Hamilton, this is why they were in no rush to sugn Icihirro. They played this game before with Teixeir prior to the 2009 season and I do not believe anything about money problems with luxury taxes. That money is beer money to that franchise and they will gladly pay it for playoff money down the road. I have never trusted Brian " no chin" Cashman even back in 2009 when he denied they were in on Teixeira then all of a sudden he signed with the Yankees. Watch it happen again. The other point is that they lost Arod for 4 months as well and will look for his numbers to be replaced somehow and this fits.

Could be.

But Hamilton wants to stay with Texas.

A couple of things need to happen to produce a Hamilton/Yankee scenario,

Texas would need to sign Greinke to a multi-year expensive contract taking the Rangers out of the Hamilton bidding.

Smart money has the Rangers giving Hamilton a big contract if Greinke signs elsewhere.

So if the Rangers get Greinke and if the Yankees go after Hamilton, the Yankee offer (see ARod) would more than likely be an offer of only a 3-4 year contract not the 6 year that Hamilton wants according to what I've read.

Then of course the Yankees also would be bidding against other organizations like the Sox I believe.

A long shot for the Yankees at this point in time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The bidding for Hamilton will accelerate after Greinke is off the market.

Everyone is waiting to see how the Greinke/Ranger situation works out.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

One reason why the Yankees could be interested in Hamilton would be that they do not intend to offer Cano the long term contract he seeks next year.

They would need to fill that void in the line-up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The way I figure it is that there has to be interest for the Red Sox in Hamillton because otherwise they would have gotten involved in Swisher or Cody Ross. Victorino is got to be a smokescreen for an Ellsbury trade. What scares me is that Hamilton is a fit for the Yankees with that short right field fence Greinke would be another Ed Whitson for either the Yankees or Red Sox, no way would I go there. Way to big a market alla Carl Crawford as well for him.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

would not surprise me a bit if they went out and got hamilton, then somehow pry stanton away from FLA too.  would not be surprised at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Could be. I would think Cashman would be more focussed on finding a 3rd baseman right now though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If the Marlins trade Stanton, they can count on playing their home games in front of 37,000 empty seats at that nice new stadium next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Yankee Stadium,  being a home run haven for left handed hitters , would be paradise for Hamilton.  Have to feel that the Yankees are after him , no matter what they are saying about payroll.  And , let's face it , they almost always get who they want.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Could be. I would think Cashman would be more focussed on finding a 3rd baseman right now though.

I think the Yanks sign Youk to the 1 yr contract and let ARod sit out the whole year so he is healthy for the 2014 season.  Not sure about the Hamilton deal since I really believe the Yanks are serious about getting under the luxury tax for just 2014.  After that they go back to the free spending Yanks because the penalty will be a minor thing again for them instead of the 50% they are now paying.  They have to sign Cano...no choice there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

True, but unless Cano get seriously hurt in 2013, the Yankees will retain him because no one else is going to pay him even close to what the Yankees final offer will be.

Swish is off the books, Tex is in decline, so they will have no problem budgeting old Josh if they really want him. If Texas signs him, it will be because the Yankees rejected him. The Red Sox can't afford to outbid the Rangers on a long term deal for old man Josh, so it will be the Rangers or the Yankess, and I bet it's the Yankees.

Dodgers have the dollars and will pay Cano.

Yankees do not want another ARod type contract.

Cano will looking for at least 6 years @ 20+mil per.

Cano has already stated the Yankees will not be getting a discount.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

They have an offer out there for Youk it seems and just picked up Jason Nix as a backup.

Not much out there without a trade.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Dodgers have the dollars and will pay Cano.  (Yankees have the dollars and will keep Cano if they want him)

Yankees do not want another ARod type contract. (Hamilton does not have a market for "another A-rod type contract. It will be 4 or 5 years, max, unless the base is smaller which amounts to the same guaranteed money that will be lucky to be near half of A-Rod's contract)

In referencing an ARod type contract what I was referring to was Hamilton's age which will be 32 in spring of 2013.

That based on the amount of years he would like which was 5 from the Rangers is why they backed off. He would be 36-37 years old at the back end.

We'll see, I doubt he lands with the Yankees and why I would envision a 2-3 year offer from them if one is presented but I've seen stranger things happen.

You have a crystal ball? I like Cano but he will be 31 in 2013 and these aren't George Steinbrenner's Yankees the current owners want to be down to a 189m payroll in 2014.

Why do you think Swisher is gone and the Yankees are dumpster diving for a replacement?

Granderson, Cano, Jeter all up for renewal in 2014. Jeter the only one in my mind who will get a renewal for sure. I'd say Cano at this point is 50-50 and remember that his agent is Scott Boras.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to traven's comment:

I think the Yanks sign Youk to the 1 yr contract and let ARod sit out the whole year so he is healthy for the 2014 season.  Not sure about the Hamilton deal since I really believe the Yanks are serious about getting under the luxury tax for just 2014.  After that they go back to the free spending Yanks because the penalty will be a minor thing again for them instead of the 50% they are now paying.  They have to sign Cano...no choice there.

I see Cano asking for 6 years @ 25 Mil. he will be 31 in 2013.

Yankees not a sure thing, I see him in Dodger blue.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I reported last month Cano was telling teammates he is expecting a 10-year contract at the top of the market. Now, a confidant of Cano informs me the second baseman thinks he has taken a discount once to sign long term with the Yankees and will not do so again

You can guarantee Boras will say that a superb two-way middle infielder such as Cano should be paid more than first basemen such as Prince Fielder (nine years, $214 million) and Joey Votto (10 years, $225 million).

For now those war drums are faint. You can expect them to grow louder and louder.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/battle_lines_dTtSoUmP4l7SI9YNCL9pfM

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

That would leave a huge hole in the Yankee lineup. I'm not sure that ARod, even if he's healthy, could fill those shoes. Pirela put up an OPS north of .800 at Trenton last year. Maybe he can step in...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

That would leave a huge hole in the Yankee lineup. I'm not sure that ARod, even if he's healthy, could fill those shoes. Pirela put up an OPS north of .800 at Trenton last year. Maybe he can step in...

Another article on Cano. Doesn't look too good for a long term Yankee contract from what I see, unless things change.

Robinson Cano will not take hometown discount to stay with Yankees

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

True, but unless Cano get seriously hurt in 2013, the Yankees will retain him because no one else is going to pay him even close to what the Yankees final offer will be.

Swish is off the books, Tex is in decline, so they will have no problem budgeting old Josh if they really want him. If Texas signs him, it will be because the Yankees rejected him. The Red Sox can't afford to outbid the Rangers on a long term deal for old man Josh, so it will be the Rangers or the Yankess, and I bet it's the Yankees.

The NYY don't want another ARod contract?  I vaguely remember a Yankee telling me repeatedly about what a great contract it was.  As often as I had mentioned he was starting his decline, and would continue to decline for 10 more years, it was like ARod was the singularity that was going to produce at high levels and become this era's Dorian Gray.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

Big f.... Deal    Wow ! the world ends ..Soooooo What ! Stuck with another over priced so called super star who looks good on paper and plays like he's made of paper.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Cano will receive multiple 30M/yr offers, but will ultimately accept the one offered by the Yanks. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Medic87's comment:

would not surprise me a bit if they went out and got hamilton, then somehow pry stanton away from FLA too.  would not be surprised at all.

Unless they throw a ton of money to Florida, there is no way they have the farm system to do that at all. Stanton is too good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

The NYY don't want another ARod contract?  I vaguely remember a Yankee telling me repeatedly about what a great contract it was.  As often as I had mentioned he was starting his decline, and would continue to decline for 10 more years, it was like ARod was the singularity that was going to produce at high levels and become this era's Dorian Gray.

You seem to remember what you like to remember.

I don't remember anyone raving about his contract.

I do remember you being challenged after the 2006 season for your comments saying he was in decline as a hitter after he hit 35 homeruns that season.

Myself and others (Vic) arguing he was only 30 years old and it was too soon for that kind of talk.

If you recall I posted several examples of players who's numbers dipped for a season and then rebounded.

Then in 2007 he hit 54 homeruns and 156 RBIs.

Keeping things in context this was before he was outed publicly for PEDs and all of us thought we were dealing with a player's natural skill decline.

Now that his body is falling apart and we find out he was an abuser it kind of negates comparisons to players who fell from grace naturally because of age.

Sections
Shortcuts