Hanley Ramirez wants to be PAID more to play 3B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Hanley Ramirez wants to be PAID more to play 3B

Doesn't the MGR decide where you play? H. Ramirez is barking up the wrong tree with Guillen as the new skipper. That's what he is, not a lackey (no pun intended, LOL)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Re: Hanley Ramirez wants to be PAID more to play 3B

They disputed that report hours ago. (re: more $)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

OK, unless it was damage control.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I suspect the media is trying to infuse a story into their boring lives. If it were true it would only signal one more reason to not try and obtain this guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

It helps that the Marlins barely paid a dime for it. Nearly 80 percent of the $634 million spent comes from taxpayer money — a deal that went down without a public vote and still has Miami residents shaking their heads. About all the Marlins have to do is buy enough players to field a team and hire enough accountants to tally up the cash they hope comes flowing in.

It's a time-honored strategy in baseball. Fleece the community once to get it built, then make them dig deeper to get in.

It works. For a time.

The new ballpark surely will draw sellout crowds at first, with fans packing in to watch the fish and feed the fish. But once the new smell wears off, the future is less certain. It's a lesson the Mets and Nationals have painfully learned, and it could be even worse in a town where the Marlins couldn't even draw fans when they were winning the World Series.

"There's no guarantee fans will financially support the Marlins for years to come," said Wayne McDonnell, a business of baseball professor at New York University. "You'll have a nice honeymoon the first year, but I don't think it's sustainable in the long run."

If it's not, the back-loaded contract signed by Reyes is even more perplexing. Three years from now, the former Mets shortstop with a history of injuries will be making $22 million — more than the entire payroll of the Marlins just five years ago in the wake of one of Loria's salary dumps.

"What happens when you're consistently getting 15-to-20,000 in a ballpark when you need 35,000 to make payroll?" McDonnell said during a telephone interview from Dallas. "The running joke around here at the winter meetings is that two years from now, when the meetings are in Orlando, is where Loria will have his fire sale."

For Loria, it seems to be all about making a splash and making people forget how awful it's been for Marlins fans over the years. He has a new manager in the colorful Ozzie Guillen, some very colorful new uniforms and even a new name — the Florida Marlins are now the Miami Marlins.

Maybe he figures it will make fans forget about long afternoons sitting in the rain at Sun Life Stadium, where the Marlins sold 19,000 tickets a game last season, though not nearly that many people showed up to claim their seats. Indeed, a writer at an August doubleheader counted a grand total of 347 fans when the opening pitch was made.

One thing fans likely won't forget is the controversy over stadium financing, which has already cost the former mayor of the county his job in a recall vote. It doesn't help that there's an ongoing Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into the nearly $500 million in bond sales to build the place. The SEC didn't announce what it was looking for, but asked for voluminous records on the financing as well as records of campaign contributions from the Marlins to area politicians.  --AP

Contracts are back loaded, same as for Hanley, for what will be a fire sale in a year or two. It is chicanery and fraud in the inducement. Unless the credit card is used to induce fans into buying season tickets, the current outrage from South Florida taxpayers will boil all the way over. 

Folks, this is Florida MLB market way, and a complete embarrassment to MLB. With a federal probe and an outraged taxpayer community, MLB has been asleep at the wheel in allowing this scab to fester on MLB. Selig needs to intervene after the smoke clears from the new public facility bottle rocket, and find new ownership to take MLB out of Florida to places that have a sufficient fanbase that love the game of baseball. North Carolina Winston Salem, Greensboro, High Point Triad sits off I-85 and I-40 perfectly situated and conecting Charlote and Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill in what amounts to short drives to see baseball. North Carolina summers are mild at night, and there is very little sports and entertainment to compete with during that time of year. As with the NFL Panthers, the stadium would be totally privately funded by PSL.

Ramirez will not be in Miami much longer, and neither will MLB. I expect the next fire sale will be the final cycle and the plug pulling will soon follow the lawsuits. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

He will be playing at 3B without getting raise.  Or he might move to 1B since Marlins are out of Pujols sweepstake.  Gaby Sanchez will be a great trade bait for a solid #2-3 starting pitcher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I predict he will be traded. The Marlins arent' going to pay him $11M to stay where he doesn't want to be, and he's still not mature enough to do what's best for the team, too self absorbed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

In Response to Re: Hanley Ramirez wants to be PAID more to play 3B:
    [QUOTE]I predict he will be traded. The Marlins arent' going to pay him $11M to stay where he doesn't want to be, and he's still not mature enough to do what's best for the team, too self absorbed.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

try 15 million in 2012 and increasing to 16 in the 2 years following. and yeah he's obviously fixated on the next contract, where he knows he stands little chance of getting one of these 100+ million longterm deals if he no longer is an offensive producer at a premium position like SS. the move is eventual anyway, he may as well embrace it now, playing 3rd will be better for his longterm value than getting bumped into the outfield. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This guy is a talented player , but there a lot of red flags with him. I think the Sox should stay away from a deal for Hanley.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

[QUOTE]I know most, if not all, of this board views Hanley as a dope with an attitute problems that outweighs his skill set. So I am ready for you to pounce on me for this suggestion: We need a shortstop for the long run. We are paying Scut 8 mill and Lowrie about 3 mill. So we can afford Hanley and would be getting an immence upgrade. Utilities guys can be had over minimum and sox have had good luck in finding same. I would love to see him back in Boston where a chance in scene might be what the doctor order for Hanley. It seems to me that Marlins will have alot of trouble with him thinking he is underpaid and underappreciated on top of his normal bad attitude so they should be happy to trade him. We give them scut and lowrie and lars and throw in 2 mill and we upgrade our club. Kill me with your usual bent to to think I am crazy. Do not forget I predicted the fall of the sox when they were still in first place because I saw what was going on. This would be a good move at little added payroll. Then we move on a closer and a set up guy giving youk if we need to but keeping Middle....... And please get rid of the often discussed no hitting shortstop of the future. He will never make it and only messes up shortstop long term strategy.
    Posted by teddybaseball009[/QUOTE]

why would the marlins want lowrie, an aging scutaro who's contract is up in a year, and lars anderson for hanley ramirez? they are not shedding payroll anymore they are adding it. only chance hanley realistically had of being traded ended when the marlins bowed out of the pujols sweepstakes. and even if he keep crying his way into a trade they will be looking for impact players in return.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

HankWilliams once again tried to hijack a thread with a long-winded copy and paste article that was not relevant to the topic of the thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Hanley Ramirez would want more to play 3B or an outfield position for the Red Sox as he is not a good ML Shortstop.   The Marlins have had plenty of time to observe as its SS and there is no question Hanley should not be playing that position on a regular basis.  If you watched the smooth Jose Iglesias and Hanley each play for 30 ML games, it would be obvious only Jose belongs at that position.  Hanley does have a bat, but his attitude and selfish position makes having Hanley on your ML team not a good idea.  It would not surprise me to see him traded to another team and I hope it is not to the Red Sox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Marlins are doing the same thing that has brought them 2 world championships in the past 2 decades; load up on talent for one year.

That is precisley what they are doing this year, loading up on talent.  It would make zero sense for them to trade away their top hitter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

It would make zero sense for them to trade away their top hitter.

Depends on what they get back from the trade, doesn't. Yes it does.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Marlins are BUYING....they've done this before.  They have every intention of building a world championship team next year.  Why would they trade away their middle of the order bat?????

You are obsessed with trading away Ellsbury......why not at least build an argument around the teams most pressing needs.  #1 a bona fide top of the rotation starter #2 RF

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Marlins have a terrible overall CFer.

No team is trading a bona fide top of the rotation starter. Next question..............

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Agreed.....and no team is trading their #1 middle of the order bat before a season they plan on making a WS run.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Unless Miami signs Fielder....then they would likely go for the upgrade in CF, keep their middle of the order bat.  THey also would not be scared about Ellsbury's looming FA because the Marlins will be unloading in a year or two anyways.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

but they also have a very speedy capable outfielder in Emilio Bonifacio, who could play their full time.  They also might be in on Cespeds,  who would make sense in the Miami market.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Agreed.....and no team is trading their #1 middle of the order bat before a season they plan on making a WS run.

Depends upon what they get back in the trade. The fact is that they would trade him for Ellsbury and Lowrie, even if you don't want the Red Sox to do that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed.....and no team is trading their #1 middle of the order bat before a season they plan on making a WS run. Depends upon what they get back in the trade. The fact is that they would trade him for Ellsbury and Lowrie, even if you don't want the Red Sox to do that.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Its not that I wouldn't want them to do that.  I would take that trade,  I just don't see it happening.   Maybe next year....but not this winter.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

It would happen this winter, if Cherry offered it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

again...stadium is paid for by hotel tax...ie...tourists...but why mess with facts here?

and hanley is going nowhere...need proof?

http://www.imagesjewelers.com/photos/blog/2010/03/132744-njweb_hanley_l.jpg

this is what loria got for hanley after he won the batting title...does anyone else here think it cost a pretty penny? loria has a man crush and hanley goes nowhere and from what i hear, any disgruntled sentiments are completely made up by the media and while no gave a sh*t last year because the team was awful...hanley was quite the team player and very ra ra in the dugout and the pie in the face guy and everything...but again...what do i know...ive been a marlins fan since the beginning and i have mlb.tv to watch all their games

Sections
Shortcuts