Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara

Is Hanrahan really our best closer?  Or do you feel we should we experiment a bit more with Uehara, Bailey or someone else?  Here are Career numbers for the above three ...

Player   WHIP ERA    IP    H    SO  BB  ER  HR  WP HBP

Uehara   0.93   2.85   214 166  126  29   68   27   2    0

Bailey    1.02    2.43   192 139  194  59   52   13   6    0

Han       1.39    3.83   402 355  440  195 171  32  38  10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara

Uehara probably can't handle the work load.  Bailey is an option of course.  But, maybe we can give Hanrahan a longer leash than one meltdown before we start talking role changes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Uehara probably can't handle the work load.  Bailey is an option of course.  But, maybe we can give Hanrahan a longer leash than one meltdown before we start talking role changes.

I'm not so sure I agree about Uehara spaceman, I think he could handle the role.  Or at the very least possibly try a closer by committee if Hanrahan struggles?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I'm not so sure I agree about Uehara spaceman, I think he could handle the role.  Or at the very least possibly try a closer by committee if Hanrahan struggles?

Craze, I am basing that off of previous workloads, how he has been used in recent years.  As good as he was last year, texas used him sparingly.  I think he has the stuff/make-up to be a closer, I just wonder if maybe the sheer volume of work would break him down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Craze, I am basing that off of previous workloads, how he has been used in recent years.  As good as he was last year, texas used him sparingly.  I think he has the stuff/make-up to be a closer, I just wonder if maybe the sheer volume of work would break him down.

You could be right but even Baily has better control and numbers than Hanrahan.  I'm not sure what sent him south last season whether the injury etc. but we may at some point need to give him another shot.  Hans first game was great, 2nd he escaped, 3rd, was crushed. 

Hopefully that changes because a win last night should have been in the bag and hopefully won't be a momentum buster for anyone.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Hanrahan's fastball is flat, and he's never done anything in his career that would show he's earned a closer's role in a division like AL East and staged from Fenway Park. He should never have been put in the role and should be demoted immediately before more losses pile up. The closer role should be filled by Bailey and Uehara and Tazawa, and should not be filled by one pitcher. Miller should join these three to cover the 7th, 8th and 9th, mixed and matched.

Hanrahan had already imploded in that role, before that happened. His stuff has been flat from the get go. He even looks like a bum, and his name sounds like a bum. Management made this move and has proven they won't make adjustments until the building collapses and they have to make an adjustment.

softlaw,

I wasn't too upset with the fact we brought in Han considering how things were going but he doesn't seem to have the control a closer needs to have any kind of real consistency, especially "as you said" in our division.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Could be right but even Baily has better control and numbers than Hanrahan.  Whatever sent him south last season whether the injury etc. we may at some point need to give him another shot.  Hans first game was great, 2nd he escaped, 3rd, was crushed. 

Hopefully that changes because a win last night should have been in the bag and hopefully won't be a momentum buster for anyone.

I don't think there is any question Bailey's injury was the problem last year.  His little stint at the tailend of the year was just a tester, but he wasn't really ready.  The stuff we are seeing now is the stuff he had when he was healthy in Oakland.  I have no doubt that he could step in to the closer role if necessary.  But, I am not ready to give up on Hanrahan by any measure.  No need to panic.  And, the beauty is, we have a Bailey to step in if the time to panic does come.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Hanrahan's fastball is flat, and he's never done anything in his career that would show he's earned a closer's role in a division like AL East and staged from Fenway Park. He should never have been put in the role and should be demoted immediately before more losses pile up. The closer role should be filled by Bailey and Uehara and Tazawa, and should not be filled by one pitcher. Miller should join these three to cover the 7th, 8th and 9th, mixed and matched.

Hanrahan had already imploded in that role, before that happened. His stuff has been flat from the get go. He even looks like a bum, and his name sounds like a bum. Management made this move and has proven they won't make adjustments until the building collapses and they have to make an adjustment.

seriously? didn't i take you to the woodshed on this issue last night?? Hanrahans FB is not flat.. it has movement. i even provided video evidence and analytical evidence. you may be able to dispute the credibility of the article but not the video. it's as plain as day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hanrahan has good movement on his FB as we saw the first couple appearences. It was a bit flat last night, but that happens with all closers/pitchers from time to time. He has a nasty slider too.

I thought he was overthrowing last night and it was confirmed with his interview. I wouldnt panic just yet. Way too early to panic after one bad outing. If the time comes to where we need to change roles, Bailey will be able to step right in.

Boston media obviously jumps at the chance to over blow this. They are questioning the bullpen now. The media in this area is able to get the lemmings to follow their every word and put everyone in a panic. Its one game. We have 154 left. Relax.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Could be right but even Baily has better control and numbers than Hanrahan.  Whatever sent him south last season whether the injury etc. we may at some point need to give him another shot.  Hans first game was great, 2nd he escaped, 3rd, was crushed. 

I don't think there is any question Bailey's injury was the problem last year.  His little stint at the tailend of the year was just a tester, but he wasn't really ready.  The stuff we are seeing now is the stuff he had when he was healthy in Oakland.  I have no doubt that he could step in to the closer role if necessary.  But, I am not ready to give up on Hanrahan by any measure.  No need to panic.  And, the beauty is, we have a Bailey to step in if the time to panic does come.

I think the panic button may need to be pressed much sooner this season spaceman.  Nobody is going to dominate our division and we can't afford to throw away games like last night.  Hopefully we can get back on track tonight with Aceves pitching well, his versatility is what has kept him on the club.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

seriously? didn't i take you to the woodshed on this issue last night?? Hanrahans FB is not flat.. it has movement. i even provided video evidence and analytical evidence. you may be able to dispute the credibility of the article but not the video. it's as plain as day.

Seriously, you took yourself to SF bathhouse, instead of your needed visit to the woodshed. I saw the proven video that shows his fastball is flatly being launched into the seats with regularity. It's as plain as the HR's total next to his Gagne look. I"m very close to calling this guy a bum, and if you keep up the "his fastball has movement" nonsense then I'll begin my campaign sooner. I have no doubt he's a bum, but I'm willing to give himself a chance to play his way into a better suited role.

maybe you should. Because if history is a guide as soon as you denounce a player they get hardcore and make you look like a foolish, ignorant blowhard.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I thought I read the other day that Farrell and the Sox would be handling him carefully as well (no pitching on consecutive days or for more than one inning).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think the panic button may need to be pressed much sooner this season spaceman.  Nobody is going to dominate our division and we can't afford to throw away games like last night.  Hopefully we can get back on track tonight with Aceves pitching well, his versatility is what has kept him on the club.  

Well, I agree insofar as the division is going to be a dog fight.  But, and i understand panic meters are decidedly objective, I do not agree that we "can't afford to thow away games like last night".  Yes, it was a tough loss.  And, yes, we want to minimize blowing games we have in hand.  But, for any team, there are going to be a bunch of blown games in a given season.  My thinking is that this is an abberation for Hanrahan, the kind of abberation all closers, even the best of the best, are prone to every now and then.  The fact that it happened so early in the year makes it harder to see it that way:  Small sample size theater emotes:  "Hanrahan will blow every third save".  I doubt it.  But, hey, if your fears are real, if Hanrahan continues to scuffle, then, yes, lets get him out of that role sooner than later.  But, I bet he bounces back and this will be a blip.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I thought I read the other day that Farrell and the Sox would be handling him carefully as well (no pitching on consecutive days or for more than one inning).

I'm not sure what our plan is for Han and others flapjack but when you consider a closer normally pitches one inning and has decent control you have to at least entertain the thought of trying Uehara in spot situations if needed.  The guy may be used sparingly for a reason but certainly has the poise and confidence to get the job done in the short time hes out there.

It will be interesting to watch moving forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He can't. They aren't going to pitch him more than 1 IP and they said if they can avoid it, he won't pitch back to back games. Plus he's 37 or 38.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

softlaw,

I wasn't too upset with the fact we brought in Han considering how things were going but he doesn't seem to have the control a closer needs to have any kind of real consistency, especially "as you said" in our division.

Everyone knew this going in about his control. He averaged 5 BB per 9 IP last year, an extremely high number for a closer. And his WHIP was very high. He pitched in low leverage situations in Pittsburgh.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I like how, before this outing, you were praising Hanrahan. And I really like how you continue to do so, talking about his movement on his fastball. That movement is the movement off the bat into the seats.

i know your the king of small sample sizes but 1 poor outing doesn't change his body of work in my eyes. It also doesn't change the fact that his fastball cuts down and in on RHHs. Your ignorance isn't going to change that either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Hanrahan is a good closer, so is Bailey.  If Hanrahan gets rocked like that one more time I would say his job is gone. but that probably wont happen.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Hanrahan has good movement on his FB as we saw the first couple appearences. It was a bit flat last night, but that happens with all closers/pitchers from time to time. He has a nasty slider too.

I thought he was overthrowing last night and it was confirmed with his interview. I wouldnt panic just yet. Way too early to panic after one bad outing. If the time comes to where we need to change roles, Bailey will be able to step right in.

Boston media obviously jumps at the chance to over blow this. They are questioning the bullpen now. The media in this area is able to get the lemmings to follow their every word and put everyone in a panic. Its one game. We have 154 left. Relax.

I think Hanrahans past will dictate the future southpaw.  He really hasn't had many great numbers, or pitched against many tough hitters as he will this season.  This could just be a glitch hes going through but you won't have success as a closer in this division without pretty good control. 

I like our pen, I'm just not sure we have found the correct closer just yet. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Hanrahan is a good closer, so is Bailey.  If Hanrahan gets rocked like that one more time I would say his job is gone. but that probably wont happen.

Thast's kind of tough. Two bad games and you lose your job, but having 3 guys that have the numbers and ability to close is something that plays into this equation.

We got Bailey to be our closer, and for those who think Drew should not "lose the job" due to injury, I guess you should be arguing for Bailey as well. When we traded for Hanrahan, I wasn't sure who had the better skillset and readiness to be our 2013 closer.

Uehara has an awesome K:BB ratio. Something a great closer can always use. Maybe he can't go back to back too often, but he may be the best of the 3.

Another possibility might be Tazawa. Yes, he's young. Yes, I prefer making him our 5th starter right now. But, he might have the best stuff out of anyone in the pen right now.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

His fastball cuts down and in on the barrel of a RHH's bat, on a straight line.

Is there some new definition of "cuts down and in" we need to know about? I always though "cuts" means bends or moves not in a straight line... like Rivera's "cutter". But your best buds Webster, so what do I know.