Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Hanrahan, Bailey and Uehara

In response to moonslav59's comment:

His fastball cuts down and in on the barrel of a RHH's bat, on a straight line.

Is there some new definition of "cuts down and in" we need to know about? I always though "cuts" means bends or moves not in a straight line... like Rivera's "cutter". But your best buds Webster, so what do I know.

A cutter can move in a straight line if you throw it off a reverse pivot front leg.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Hanrahan is a good closer, so is Bailey.  If Hanrahan gets rocked like that one more time I would say his job is gone. but that probably wont happen.

Thast's kind of tough. Two bad games and you lose your job, but having 3 guys that have the numbers and ability to close is something that plays into this equation.

We got Bailey to be our closer, and for those who think Drew should not "lose the job" due to injury, I guess you should be arguing for Bailey as well. When we traded for Hanrahan, I wasn't sure who had the better skillset and readiness to be our 2013 closer.

Uehara has an awesome K:BB ratio. Something a great closer can always use. Maybe he can't go back to back too often, but he may be the best of the 3.

Another possibility might be Tazawa. Yes, he's young. Yes, I prefer making him our 5th starter right now. But, he might have the best stuff out of anyone in the pen right now.

I'm still up in the air with Taz as a closer moon but you never know.  I would give him a few spot starts just to see what kind of stamina/stuff he has as a starter.  We have an interesting bunch for sure.  In Clay and Jon we have two guys that "when on" will give you a consistent effort without many runs scored.  With Dempster and Lackey we have two guys that have good spurts surrounded by bad, with less ability to hold a lead when handed one.  Then there is Taz and Doub, I'm still not sure if one is better than the other but we should at the very least find out.

The good?  Like having other options at closer, there may also be some very good young arms on the farm which we couldn't count on a year ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Hanrahan is a good closer, so is Bailey.  If Hanrahan gets rocked like that one more time I would say his job is gone. but that probably wont happen.

Thast's kind of tough. Two bad games and you lose your job, but having 3 guys that have the numbers and ability to close is something that plays into this equation.

We got Bailey to be our closer, and for those who think Drew should not "lose the job" due to injury, I guess you should be arguing for Bailey as well. When we traded for Hanrahan, I wasn't sure who had the better skillset and readiness to be our 2013 closer.

Uehara has an awesome K:BB ratio. Something a great closer can always use. Maybe he can't go back to back too often, but he may be the best of the 3.

Another possibility might be Tazawa. Yes, he's young. Yes, I prefer making him our 5th starter right now. But, he might have the best stuff out of anyone in the pen right now.

It is tough...I am talking about at this point in the season. If he gives up 5 runs again in 2/3 of an inning there is no way he is going to keep that job. That would put his ERA well up into the 20's.

I don't think he will have a game like that again but if he does, expect the demotion. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Mariano Rivera blew 11% of his save opportunities, if I am reading the included graph correctly. He blew over 20% of his saves vs Boston. Assuming a closer gets into a game 30 times during the year and he is as good as Rivera, he will blow 3 saves. So your contention that if Hanrahan blows one more save he is gone is overkill. He is no Rivera, so he will blow saves just like every closer does. If it becomes a pattern then he loses his job.

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2011/04/imperfect-perfection-a-closer-look-at-mariano-rivera%E2%80%99s-failures-28832

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Mariano Rivera blew 11% of his save opportunities, if I am reading the included graph correctly. He blew over 20% of his saves vs Boston. Assuming a closer gets into a game 30 times during the year and he is as good as Rivera, he will blow 3 saves. So your contention that if Hanrahan blows one more save he is gone is overkill. He is no Rivera, so he will blow saves just like every closer does. If it becomes a pattern then he loses his job.

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2011/04/imperfect-perfection-a-closer-look-at-mariano-rivera%E2%80%99s-failures-28832

I think a guy like Mo, gets a pass considering the numbers he put up for many many years.  Boston had their share of success against him and he certainly isn't the same pitcher anymore but Hanrahans name doesn't belong in the same discussion.

19 years for Mo with a 2.22 ERA and 0.99 WHIP

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I say let everyone take a deep breath, back off a little and see how things work for a bit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I think a guy like Mo, gets a pass considering the numbers he put up for many many years.  Boston had their share of success against him and he certainly isn't the same pitcher anymore but Hanrahans name doesn't belong in the same discussion.

How do you hear " If he blows one more save" from me saying "gets rocked like that one more time."

I am not talkng about blown saves. I am talking about giving up 5 runs in 2/3s of an inning.

Two entirely different topics.

Edit" this is directed at Pumpsie, I replied to the wrong guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

I never knock my sox players. but i will say Han makes me very nervous. I did not like seeing the homer on Monday and the two last night. I know all pitchers can have a bad day or two or three. I will say watching last night and on Monday, I saw very little movement on his pitches (throwing to hard?). I also believe all three homers were on the slider which everyone says is so great (I dont think so). I will also say he got jobbed on the last two calls on the second walk he gave up last night. He should have gotten one of those calls which would have ended the game.

He needs to slow down and take a deep breath or I believe snake will be right, he gives up 5 more and blows another game he make take a seat for a few days to work on things.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

The GREAT Mariano would of also saved last nights game due to the fact that BOTH close pitches would have been called strikes. Fact 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Is there some new definition of "cuts down and in" we need to know about? I always though "cuts" means bends or moves not in a straight line... like Rivera's "cutter". But your best buds Webster, so what do I know.

A cutter can move in a straight line if you throw it off a reverse pivot front leg.

Thats how I threw mine and thats why they made me a catcher!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

Actually cut means to slice through, it is very hard to bend in a slice (unless you are a golfer). In the case of the person you were responding to, what he meant was the ball would slice through the bat, be caught by the catcher and the batter would then have two sections of cylindrical wood!
    Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to RickEO's comment:

The GREAT Mariano would of also saved last nights game due to the fact that BOTH close pitches would have been called strikes. Fact 

Dead on!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

I never knock my sox players. but i will say Han makes me very nervous. I did not like seeing the homer on Monday and the two last night. I know all pitchers can have a bad day or two or three. I will say watching last night and on Monday, I saw very little movement on his pitches (throwing to hard?). I also believe all three homers were on the slider which everyone says is so great (I dont think so). I will also say he got jobbed on the last two calls on the second walk he gave up last night. He should have gotten one of those calls which would have ended the game.

He needs to slow down and take a deep breath or I believe snake will be right, he gives up 5 more and blows another game he make take a seat for a few days to work on things.

Hey promise,
    Machado hit a FB up and in. The other night hanrahan threw all FB's as was stated by NESN, so thats 2 FB's. Cant remember the other one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Hanrahan is a good closer.

But in this marker if you are closing and your ERA goes up over 15.00? Even in April you are going to lose your job.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The early wildness is most concerning about Hanrahan.  He hasn't had a tough situation yet, and he's always had a clean inning - if that's what the closer is going to be, I'd rather keep him in that role, and use Uehara in the game-changing jams.  If the bases are loaded in the late innings in a close game, Uehara is the guy I want on the mound.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

The early wildness is most concerning about Hanrahan.  He hasn't had a tough situation yet, and he's always had a clean inning - if that's what the closer is going to be, I'd rather keep him in that role, and use Uehara in the game-changing jams.  If the bases are loaded in the late innings in a close game, Uehara is the guy I want on the mound.

Uehara is 38 and is a bit fragile and  cant pitch in back to back games. He isn't going to be a regular closer. If hanrahan doesnt get it done it is going to be Bailey.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

How do you hear " If he blows one more save" from me saying "gets rocked like that one more time."

I am not talkng about blown saves. I am talking about giving up 5 runs in 2/3s of an inning.

So just to be clear, if Hanrahan gives up five runs in 2/3 inning again this year he loses his job, right? Its a long season. To me, either a closer has it or he doesn't. Last night he didn't. It doesn't make any difference to me how many runs he gives up as long as we still win. If he gave up three runs to blow the save its the same result. I would give him about 3-4 blown saves (or so) before I remove him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

So just to be clear, if Hanrahan gives up five runs in 2/3 inning again this year he loses his job, right? Its a long season. To me, either a closer has it or he doesn't. Last night he didn't. It doesn't make any difference to me how many runs he gives up as long as we still win. If he gave up three runs to blow the save its the same result. I would give him about 3-4 blown saves (or so) before I remove him.

No. I reread my post. Just to be clear I should have said "rocked like that one more time in the near future".

I thought I was being clear but in hindisght I wasn't.

If over the next week or so Hanrahan gets bombed like that again he will lose his job.

My bad on making it appear like I meant if it happened again at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

No. I reread my post. Just to be clear I should have said "rocked like that one more time in the near future".

If over the next week or so Hanrahan gets bombed like that again he will lose his job.

That makes more sense, but I would still give him a bit longer. And I am not a patient Sox fan. Its a long long season and it might take a little while for Hanrahan to learn the league. Besides, if he is rocked as the closer he is likely to get rocked no matter when he pitches.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Space, I like your comparison to Rivera's cutter. That's a great analogy.

More evidence that you can't keep track of who says what.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

people should look at mariano rivera's numbers against us.he is concidered the best closer of all time.we have beaten him in quite a few games.hanrahan will do ok.i disagree we should have gotten him.i liked bailey and thought he should be the closer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to bosoxhero2's comment:

people should look at mariano rivera's numbers against us.he is concidered the best closer of all time.we have beaten him in quite a few games.hanrahan will do ok.i disagree we should have gotten him.i liked bailey and thought he should be the closer.

Rivera blew 20% of his save opportunities vs the Sox according to the chart in the link I posted here. Having BOTH Bailey and Hanrahan can't be bad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

That makes more sense, but I would still give him a bit longer. And I am not a patient Sox fan. Its a long long season and it might take a little while for Hanrahan to learn the league. Besides, if he is rocked as the closer he is likely to get rocked no matter when he pitches.

I would give him longer too.

In this market though you don't get to close games if your ERA is over 15.00. Even in April. I think he will settle down and be fine.

But Baily is a two time all star, if he is pitching well and Hanrahan is getting slaughtered they will change it up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I would give him longer too.

In this market though you don't get to close games if your ERA is over 15.00. Even in April. I think he will settle down and be fine.

But Baily is a two time all star, if he is pitching well and Hanrahan is getting slaughtered they will change it up.

Reassessing him at the end of April sounds reasonable. We are fortunate to have options at the closer position.