Hanrahan deal done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hanrahan deal done

They were right. The Hanrahan deal was finished after Christmas, as in done today, Boxing Day

Sources: Hanrahan trade is done. Players involved being informed by  and. Don't know exact names yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Hanrahan deal done

so we got brock holt with hanrahan...and we gave up dejesus as the 4th player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Follow Peter GammonsPeter GammonsVerified@pgammo

They were right. The Hanrahan deal was finished after Christmas, as in done today, Boxing Day

Follow Ken RosenthalKen RosenthalVerified@Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: Hanrahan trade is done. Players involved being informed by #RedSox and#Pirates. Don't know exact names yet.

[/QUOTE]

Hanrahan +1 to Red Sox

Sands, Pimental, Melancon +1 to Pirates

That was the latest I heard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

11:50am: The Red Sox will receive Hanrahan and infielder Brock Holt for Sands, Pimentel, Melancon, and Ivan DeJesus Jr. according to Rosenthal and Heyman (Twitter links).

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#5PVIeFVHx7TFV86q.99

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Brock Holt looks pretty good.  He's only 24, put up good numbers at every level of the minors and held his own during his brief/first MLB stint last year.  I don't know much about his defense, and he doesn't look to have power but it looks like he can hit for average and draw some walks and get on base.

I think they View Brock as an upgrade for a utility player and someone who may even play at a serviceable + level if he is called upon to start. 

If Hanrahan can deliver....then I'm good with this deal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brock Holt looks pretty good.  He's only 24, put up good numbers at every level of the minors and held his own during his brief/first MLB stint last year.  I don't know much about his defense, and he doesn't look to have power but it looks like he can hit for average and draw some walks and get on base.

I think they View Brock as an upgrade for a utility player and someone who may even play at a serviceable + level if he is called upon to start. 

If Hanrahan can deliver....then I'm good with this deal. 

[/QUOTE]

I think it also opens more of a possiblity that Iglesias is available as trade bait

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Part of me wanted to see if melancon could build on his late-September success.  Decent trade for both teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Even if Hanrahan is a bust the sox paid almost nothing for him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Holt, I think is a switch hitter. Little shrimp, like Pedroia, but without the power. Looks to be better than DeJesus who seemed to K every chance he was given last year in limited AB'S. Okay deal overall me thinks.

I still like Ciriaco as our #1 utility guy. - I think he might even be better than Drew, but, that's for another thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Part of me wanted to see if melancon could build on his late-September success.  Decent trade for both teams.

[/QUOTE]

I was kind of hoping Melancon wouldn't be in the deal myself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm reading that Melancon was the deal.  I thought it centered around Sands and Pimental; however, I'm reading now that Melancon was the player they wanted.

They are impressed w his stuff and saw an opportunity to buy low.  It looks to me; however, that they didnt buy low and paid full price.  Making this a RS win.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm reading that Melancon was the deal.  I thought it centered around Sands and Pimental; however, I'm reading now that Melancon was the player they wanted.

They are impressed w his stuff and saw an opportunity to buy low.  It looks to me; however, that they didnt buy low and paid full price.  Making this a RS win.

[/QUOTE]
    The importance of the trade by adding Melancon it opens a 40 man roster spot for Drew. DeJesus was not on the 40; he cleared last week.

I hope Mel does well--he made some nice contributions after returning from the PawSox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, nice to see desperate financial condition benefit the incompetent Cherry. Basically, it was a swap of the more expensive Hanrahan for Melancon. De Jesus for Holt. Pimental and Sands are Pimental are truly farm scraps.

It works for the Pirates and the Red Sox, becuase of the Pirates budget.

[/QUOTE]

Yup.  Also , Melancon is controlled beyond next year.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    The importance of the trade by adding Melancon it opens a 40 man roster spot for Drew. DeJesus was not on the 40; he cleared last week.

I hope Mel does well--he made some nice contributions after returning from the PawSox.

[/QUOTE]

so as of right now we have 2 spots on the 40? 1 for drew and 1 for napoli?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

Wow, nice to see desperate financial condition benefit the incompetent Cherry. Basically, it was a swap of the more expensive Hanrahan for Melancon. De Jesus for Holt. Pimental and Sands are Pimental are truly farm scraps.

[/QUOTE]

You realize Sands has a much higher upside than De Jesus who was DFA and not claimed by any teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Horrible news!

Now we have to watch Bard think he's a starter

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe they are at 40; DeJesus had been waived to open a slot last week for Dempster. So 3 came off today, 2 will be added added this week Han and Holt leaving room for Drew(ski).

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=bos

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You realize Sands has a much higher upside than De Jesus who was DFA and not claimed by any teams.

[/QUOTE]

Sands was a throw in w/ the LAD deal.  He was never part of our plans.  Ive heard that his AAA success was a mirage and he doesnt have major league batspeed.

The deal was practically Melancon for Hanraham.  The rest were throw ins.  I just read a quote from teh Pirates GM speaking of the trade.  He doesnt even mention Sands and Pimental.  He goes on for a bit about how he thinks Melancon is better than his 2012 performance (I would hope so).  He even compares the Melancon acquisition to how he acquired Hanraham a couple of years back.

I honestly dont know how good Sands actually is.  Its possible that you are right and he has major league upside.  However, its pretty clear that he was an afterthought in this trade.  Personally, I think the Sox probably should have kept him.  It sounds like a straight up Melancon for Hanraham swap would have gotten it done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe they are at 40; DeJesus had been waived to open a slot last week for Dempster. So 3 came off today, 2 will be added added this week Han and Holt leaving room for Drew(ski).

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/roster_40man.jsp?c_id=bos

[/QUOTE]

is that drewski5? if we cleared room for him..man this deal is better than i thought...good poster here...good move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I really like this deal.  Brock Holt sounds like he could help us out also??? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sands was a throw in w/ the LAD deal.  He was never part of our plans.  Ive heard that his AAA success was a mirage and he doesnt have major league batspeed.

The deal was practically Melancon for Hanraham.  The rest were throw ins.  I just read a quote from teh Pirates GM speaking of the trade.  He doesnt even mention Sands and Pimental.  He goes on for a bit about how he thinks Melancon is better than his 2012 performance (I would hope so).  He even compares the Melancon acquisition to how he acquired Hanraham a couple of years back.

I honestly dont know how good Sands actually is.  Its possible that you are right and he has major league upside.  However, its pretty clear that he was an afterthought in this trade.  Personally, I think the Sox probably should have kept him.  It sounds like a straight up Melancon for Hanraham swap would have gotten it done.

[/QUOTE]

I think the deal might stand or fall in the long-term based on whether Sands becomes a good major leaguer or just another career AAAA guy. I found him intriguing...he's raked at every level in the minors, so it wasn't just an Albuqurque thing, but the RS didn't seem to think much of him. With openings at 1B and LF and not many great options out there, now would have been the time to give him a shot if they thought he could play.

For my part, I'd just as soon have kept Melancon and given him a chance to rebound. He's younger and cheaper, and Hanrahan's walk rate kind of scares me. But I guess we'll see.

Holt could be interesting, but don't know much about him. Looks like a Ciriaco type, if Ciriaco could get on base.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

First Aceves, then Bailey, now Hanrahan. The closer position is starting to show an eerie resemblance to the SS and RF position. Oh, and now we can also add C, LF and 1B to the equation.

Isn't it wierd how only 2B, 3B and CF are a sure thing? Unless of course, BC manages to move Ells before the season starts. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts