Happy Birthday Captain Carl

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Happy Birthday Captain Carl

My favorite Sox player eva.

Sox Nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Happy Birthday Captain Carl

A great Red Soxer that came full circle as a player & a teammate..........  Longevity is good !!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

My favorite Sox player eva.

Sox Nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Agree. To me, Yaz is one of the most underrated great players. Always wondered what his career numbers have been had he not played most of 1971 and 1972 -- or at least large chunks of both season -- hurt.

Yaz, Bobby Orr and John Havlicek are the only athletes whom when I see them today, I feel like a kid again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

Happy 74th!  Always a pleasure to see you return to Fenway for various events. Thanks for the memories!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Agree. To me, Yaz is one of the most underrated great players. Always wondered what his career numbers have been had he not played most of 1971 and 1972 -- or at least large chunks of both season -- hurt.

Yaz, Bobby Orr and John Havlicek are the only athletes whom when I see them today, I feel like a kid again.

[/QUOTE]

Roy, I have a Yaz baseball card drinking glass. The front is the 1970 Topps original issue, the back is his career totals. I especially loved his 1977 season, .296 28 102 as a 38 yr old.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to youkillus's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Roy, I have a Yaz baseball card drinking glass. The front is the 1970 Topps original issue, the back is his career totals. I especially loved his 1977 season, .296 28 102 as a 38 yr old.

[/QUOTE]

You always have to put Yaz in context with the times he played. For example, in 1973, he had 19 HR, 95 RBI and .296 BA. A solid year by any standards.

Then you look deeper and see he was ranked 8th in WAR for Position Players, 3rd in OBP, 6th in OPS, ninth in batting average,  tied for 7th in RBIs, third in BB and in some of the more obscure rankings, sixth in runs created, seventh in adjusted batting runs, seven in adj. batting wins, third in times on base, fifth in offensive wins.

And this was even more pronounced in the 1960s.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Happy birthday captain carl!

He was a favorite in my house for a couple of reasons.  His ball playing of course, the other being my mom's parents were from poland!

The company where my husband worked opened a fitness center.  Carl yaz was hired for the grand opening.

I dressed my son's, little guys at the time, in red sox gear and got a great picture with yaz.  Have to say he wasn't very talkative LOL! I still have that picture today.

I sent copies of that picture home to family and friends.  My girlfriend's mother decided to remove all the family pictures from the living room but left the picture of me, my boys and carl yaz!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What a player, even in his 40s, and one of the great defensive LFers; older fans shall recall the catch vs Tom Tresh. After '67, his Triple Crown Rawlings Glove was THE most popular glove, even in NY; of course the rivalry wasn't quite as intense then. The teams traded with each other in those days. BOS got E Howard for their 67 stretch drive, NYY got Monbouquette that same yr, and also got a few yrs later Lyle for Cater, admittedly an uneven trade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

What a player. After '67, his Triple Crown Rawlings Glove was THE most popular glove, even in NY; of course the rivalry wasn't quite as intense then. The teams traded with each other in those days. BOS got E Howard for their 67 stretch drive, NYY got Monbouquette that same yr, and NYY got a few yrs later Lyle for Cater, admittedly a good trade for the NYY.

I forget the details, but isn't the last trade involving the Yankees and Red Sox when the Sox acquired Mike Stanley back in the mid-'90s. Can't remember another once since, although there might have been.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

What a player. After '67, his Triple Crown Rawlings Glove was THE most popular glove, even in NY; of course the rivalry wasn't quite as intense then. The teams traded with each other in those days. BOS got E Howard for their 67 stretch drive, NYY got Monbouquette that same yr, and NYY got a few yrs later Lyle for Cater, admittedly a good trade for the NYY.

I forget the details, but isn't the last trade involving the Yankees and Red Sox when the Sox acquired Mike Stanley back in the mid-'90s. Can't remember another once since, although there might have been.

I believe so; Cone, Flaherty, Ramiro Mendoza, Boggs and Wells were FAs I believe.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Morning Roy, the Yanks got Tony Armas and Jim Mecir...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

As with almost all Sox fans around my age....Yaz was the first great Red Sox I saw playing....and of course my Favorite.....being at YAZ day in 1983 was a semi sweet moment.

To show how baseball has changed....look at the years YAZ had at age 36,37, and 38 in 1976, 77 and 78......most times with a debilitating bad back.....today, people would be wondering if he was on PEDs

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

As with almost all Sox fans around my age....Yaz was the first great Red Sox I saw playing....and of course my Favorite.....being at YAZ day in 1983 was a semi sweet moment.

To show how baseball has changed....look at the years YAZ had at age 36,37, and 38 in 1976, 77 and 78......most times with a debilitating bad back.....today, people would be wondering if he was on PEDs

The flip side is that it shows that guys players still can play well into their late 30s. While it was common for players to start going downhill after 30, there still were many players in the past who played well into their late 30s.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I'm grateful I got to see him play live many times.