Happy Trails Arod

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Happy Trails Arod

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

I'm not a lawyer but I do know a little about contracts, and that his situation is uncharted waters.

This isn't a case of  a player for example Vernon Wells who plays clean and shows up every day but hasn't produced, hasn't lived up to the "expectations" of the team despite his enormous contract. No climbing out from under that one they will have to rip the jersey off his back, he is staying put until the last paycheck.

Arod on the other hand has cheated by taking PEDS violating one of the basic rules of the game. And apparently it isn't an isolated incident.

If suspended for ped use for say 150 games it isn't what the Yankees signed up for.

This isn't what a ballplayer is paid 25 mil a year for. The Yankees did not know of this behavior going in. Furthermore if there is proof he was cheating when he signed the contract basically defrauding the Yankees..

He was given that kind of money to bring fans in not repulse them by being a steroid cheat involved in endless scandal.

And if it is proved he has been lying right along with material evidence from the Miami investigation there is some wiggle room there.

I see where if this gets ugly that Arod as Bob suggested Arod will walk away from the game.

I don't think that's going to fly - you can't currently void a guy's contract due to PED use, and I can't imagine the player's association losing that fight.   I believe the Yankees are off the hook for the time he is actually serving his suspension, but when it's over, unless ARod retires, I think the Yankees have to pay him the remainder.  I don't think this changes the luxury tax scenario at all.

If he's medically unfit to play, the Yankees are still on the hook.  He has to be able to play, and retire of his own will, and I think he's got too much ego to do that, especially if there's a shot at the HR crown (as it were).

God another blog lawyer.

Hope springs eternal.

And who said you can't void a contract because a player you gave 25 mil a year is suspended indefinitely for cheating with steroids?

Bud was Letterman last night and it sure didn't sound good.

Do you actually think the yankees won't have pretty decent lawyers to test your theory?

From listening to Bud it sounds like there could be some life time bans coming.

Not just casual use of the stuff this is pretty deep.

It would set a precedent and give the owners way too much power - they would void any contract they wanted to get out from under, but leave the higher value contracts in effect.  If you're a Vernon Wells or Barry Zito, you'd better pee in front the commissioner and don't let those lab samples out of your sight.

Besides, if it was really a PED issue for the Yankees, then they would have done something about it in 2009, when it was first discovered that A-Rod had been dirty.  Why didn't they have a problem with it then?  Because A-Rod was their best player, and was instrumental to bringing them a world championship that year.  You can't give a guy a 10-year extension and wait until the last four to be offended by his lack of character.

Simple answer to your question on why Arod wasn't bounced in 2009 was because he failed a test administered by MLB in 2003.

A test that was supposed to be kept confidential, a test who's results that both the owners and MLPA agreed not to hold against the players who failed, they wanted to use the results as a tool to guage just how much usage there was in the game.

When he met with the media after being outed by Selena Roberts he said it happened in texas when he was loosey goosey, remember? He also said that he had not done any peds since, apologized to the fans and his teammates.

The Yankees had absolutely no grounds to bounce Arod in 2009 for failing the 2003 test which both the owners and MLPA stood behind. But they did feel snookered by Arod.

Now hypothetically of course because i don't know for sure, but if the recent results will/can show that he lied then and has used PEDS since he is in deep jeopardy. Suppose MLB has material evidence he used from 2003 to 2013? 

According to Selig on letterman when asked if Arod would ever play again Selig responded "time will tell" Not a very ringing endorsement if you ask me.

That my friend is the big big difference between the 2009 and 2013.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Talk to me after Arod meets with the media to answer questions maybe your mind will have changed a bit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Talk to me after Arod meets with the media to answer questions maybe your mind will have changed a bit.

All authority to discipline Players for violations of the Program shall repose with the Commissioner's Office. No Club may take any disciplinary or adverse action against a Player (including, but not limited to, a fine, suspension, or any adverse action pursuant to a Uniform Player's Contract) because of a Player's violation of the Program.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

All authority to discipline Players for violations of the Program shall repose with the Commissioner's Office. No Club may take any disciplinary or adverse action against a Player (including, but not limited to, a fine, suspension, or any adverse action pursuant to a Uniform Player's Contract) because of a Player's violation of the Program.

[/QUOTE]

Link please.

Not that I would ever suspect you to take something out of context. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Never mind I found it.

No surprises.

What Arod had done goes beyond what was contemplated regarding the terms of the drug policy.

And I still say with that much money involved the Yankees will go after him.

The litigation and the public embarassment will lead to him to either retiring or reaching a settlement. Either way he's done in NY.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Never mind I found it.

No surprises.

What Arod had done goes beyond what was contemplated regarding the terms of the drug policy.

The litigation and the public embarassment will lead to either him retiring or reaching a settlement. Either way he's done in NY.

We'll see.  I think he'll be hitting cleanup for you by the end of the month.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Rodriguez both purchased and used a number of substances from the Miami-based anti-aging clinic over several years that would be in violation of baseball's joint drug agreement. 

Anti-aging clinic?  Must be some weird Florida leftover legacy from Ponce de Leon.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Never mind I found it.

No surprises.

The litigation and the public embarassment will lead to either him retiring or reaching a settlement. Either way he's done in NY.

We'll see.  I think he'll be hitting cleanup for you by the end of the month.

It will be interesting, the suspensions could be delayed until next season if the union applies for a grievance hearing then an arbitrator will rule if they are ligit.

I also read that the union asked MLB not to publicly release the charges until after the arbitrator rules.

From what I'm reading he isn't ready for ML play but anyway it will be a spectacle when the charges are finally public that's when the NY fans and media will react.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

More/new info on this subject:

MLBPA Chief Michael Weiner With Potential Game Changer On Biogenesis

by Wendy Thurm - July 16, 2013

Further tweets from the national baseball writers reported Weiner to say that the suspension lengths were negotiable.

That’s good news for a player who’s never tested positive for PES but who’s name shows up on some Biogenesis documents. Maybe he only gets a five or ten game suspension because there’s only circumstantial evidence. But it could be bad news for others, like Alex Rodriguez, who are reported to have had a long-standing relationship with Tony Bosch and Biogenesis. If the league develops evidence of pervasive use or possession by A-Rod, it could seek much harsher penalties, even if they fall short of a lifetime ban.

In any appeal from a suspension, MLB will have the burden to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the player violated the Joint Drug Policy and that punishment is just and reasonable.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlbpa-chief-michael-weiner-with-potential-game-changer-on-biogenesis/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Further tweets from the national baseball writers reported Weiner to say that the suspension lengths were negotiable.

That’s good news for a player who’s never tested positive for PES but who’s name shows up on some Biogenesis documents. Maybe he only gets a five or ten game suspension because there’s only circumstantial evidence. But it could be bad news for others, like Alex Rodriguez, who are reported to have had a long-standing relationship with Tony Bosch and Biogenesis. If the league develops evidence of pervasive use or possession by A-Rod, it could seek much harsher penalties, even if they fall short of a lifetime ban.

In any appeal from a suspension, MLB will have the burden to prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the player violated the Joint Drug Policy and that punishment is just and reasonable.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlbpa-chief-michael-weiner-with-potential-game-changer-on-biogenesis/

There have been a bunch of articles claiming the NYY have no chance of voiding his contract; the best they can hope for is ARod deciding he's had enough, and they work out an exit  deal. I doubt even that possibility, because he just doesn't care.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

There have been a bunch of articles claiming the NYY have no chance of voiding his contract; the best they can hope for is ARod deciding he's had enough, and they work out an exit  deal. I doubt even that possibility, because he just doesn't care.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the Yankees could bench him until he cut a deal - if he wanted a chance at those records (and I'm sure he does, no matter how tainted, for his own ego's sake) he'd have to cut a deal move on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

whoops:

If all goes according to plan, Alex Rodriguez will complete his minor league rehab this weekend and join the New York Yankees in Texas early next week.

"That's the hope," general manager Brian Cashman said in a phone conversation Wednesday. "We'll see through the weekend. We started the 20-day rehab and once we felt he could complete the 20 days and be available to us in Texas. So let's get through the weekend and see where he is at and see if he is major league able."

Cashman said the Yankees could activate Rodriguez on Monday in Texas or give him an additional day off and push his first game to Tuesday.

"We have to get through the weekend, and then we will evaluate it," Cashman said.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Gloves are off in baseball’s war on PEDs:

Griffin Players union head Michael Weiner says MLB isn’t governed by its collective bargaining agreement when it comes to possible suspensions in the Biogenesis case, meaning Alex Rodriguez, Melky Cabrera et al could be in big trouble.

“The players in Biogenesis are not bound by the penalties in the basic agreement,” Weiner said. “Penalties in the basic agreement are for those that have had just cause evidence with drug tests. The players in Biogenesis are not from positives, based on evidence from tests. In theory, they could be suspended for five games or for 500 games. We can then choose to challenge or not. The commissioner’s office is not bound by the 50-100 scale we have in the basic agreement.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2013/07/16/gloves_are_off_in_baseballs_war_on_peds_griffin.html?cta=explore&utm_expid=6682428-0.pmAbpHPsSSS1W5v3cyeVhw.3&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestar.com%2Fsports

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

whoops:

If all goes according to plan, Alex Rodriguez will complete his minor league rehab this weekend and join the New York Yankees in Texas early next week.

"That's the hope," general manager Brian Cashman said in a phone conversation Wednesday. "We'll see through the weekend. We started the 20-day rehab and once we felt he could complete the 20 days and be available to us in Texas. So let's get through the weekend and see where he is at and see if he is major league able."

Cashman said the Yankees could activate Rodriguez on Monday in Texas or give him an additional day off and push his first game to Tuesday.

"We have to get through the weekend, and then we will evaluate it," Cashman said.

Could be Sept or even later before the investigation is finished, then there could be challenges by the union to specific cases where an arbitrator will be used to resolve the issues.

Arod coming back Monday is old news.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/2013/07/16/gloves_are_off_in_baseballs_war_on_peds_griffin.html?cta=explore&utm_expid=6682428-0.pmAbpHPsSSS1W5v3cyeVhw.3&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestar.com%2Fsports

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

lol...so...then.....i....guess.....it's....NOT...happy trails arod

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Has the suspension been announced? The details of the Biogenesis investigation?

Has Arod been charged with anything yet? Have I missed something?

Another case of your fingers moving quicker than your brain.

There can be no outrage without a release of the charges against Arod and his rebuttal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

But then again I suppose that the union would let the Yankees bounce Arod based on what is now nothing more than hearsay passed onto us by the media.

Don't put the horse before the carriage.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

"IF" A-Rod hits 13 more homers this year, then he will get an extra $6 million!  

No wonder he wants to come back ASAP.   LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

There can be no outrage without a release of the charges against Arod and his rebuttal.

[/QUOTE]

you start the thread called "happy trails Arod" saying he will never play in pinstripes again. 

i post "woops"...looks like he will be back in pinstripes lickity-split.

how is this a case of me being slow witted?????!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/home/story/alex-rodriguez-new-york-yankees-brian-cashman-rehab-monday-in-texas-071713

A-Rod hopes to join Yankees Monday

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm assuming that the Ranger fans will boo A-Rod.   LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

actually they should cheer him....and bora$.  them opting out of the original deal and getting the yankees to resign a new 10 year contract saved the rangers organization a boatload of money.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

actually they should cheer him....and bora$.  them opting out of the original deal and getting the yankees to resign a new 10 year contract saved the rangers organization a boatload of money.

I'm sorry what did you say?  I was staring at your avatar.   LOL   Cool

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

you start the thread called "happy trails Arod" saying he will never play in pinstripes again. 

i post "woops"...looks like he will be back in pinstripes lickity-split.

how is this a case of me being slow witted?????!!!!

Yes You are correct, but that was when the news was that the details of the abuse and suspensions were likely to be announced right after the allstar break.

Like today.

But Now we find out that they might not be announced until after this season.

I mean even an absolute dope would have enough common sense to understand the suspensions have to be announced first before anyone responds.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

MLBPA executive director Michael Weiner told reporters today he expects Biogenesis suspension announcement discussions to take place between the players' union and MLB within the next month with appeal hearings getting underway "as soon as September" (Twitter links).  Players are expected to be able to play while under appeal.  Meanwhile, Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times hears it is unlikely suspensions will be announced this week.

Furthermore, Weiner explained that suspensions are subject to negotiations with the league office and without an agreement between the two parties, it's unlikely players will miss time in the 2013 season, tweets Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com.  The MLBPA chief added that 50-game suspensions may not apply to non-analytical positive results, with the length of suspensions open for discussion, Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports tweets.  

Last week, Weiner spoke out against the leaks that have come out in recent weeks regarding the Biogenesis situation.  The most recent leak was a sizable one as T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com reported that the commissioner's office was planning to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, and as many as 20 players sometime after the All-Star break.  Commissioner Bud Selig expressed displeasure with the leaks, adding that they "do not come from us."

On a non-Biogenesis note, Weiner opined that the current schedule "sucks" and said that it will be a big topic in the next Collective Bargaining Agreement, Knobler tweets.  The current CBA will be in effect until December 1st, 2016

Sections
Shortcuts