Harmon Killebrew ends his fight with cancer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Harmon Killebrew ends his fight with cancer

A very sad situation.Another great player losing his battle to cancer.
    From ESPN.com:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew says he will no longer fight esophageal cancer and is settling in for the final days of his life.

The Minnesota Twins released a statement on Friday from Killebrew, who was diagnosed with the disease in December.

"It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end," the former Twins and Washington Senators star said. "With the continued love and support of my wife, Nita, I have exhausted all options with respect to controlling this awful disease. My illness has progressed beyond my doctors' expectation of cure.

Killebrew, 74, said he will enter hospice care, that he's comforted by the presence of family and friends and that he looks forward to spending his final days "in comfort and peace" with his wife.

"I thank you for the outpouring of concern, prayers and encouragement that you have shown me," Killebrew said in the statement.

Killebrew, a third baseman and left fielder, currently ranks 11th on the all-time major league home run list with 573. He spent 21 seasons with the Senators and Twins, in addition to one final season with the Kansas City Royals.

Killebrew's No. 3 jersey is retired, and he made several appearances at the Twins' new outdoor ballpark last season. He did not throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Minnesota's home opener in April because he did not want to disrupt his treatment schedule.

He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1984.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Re: Harmon Killebrew ends his fight with cancer

May the Lord bless this man, and comfort him on his journey to a better place than man's place.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Apparently there is not much else they can do for him. How lucky Michael Douglas is having been diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer and to beat it completely.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Look's like a Theo's gorilla suit. Have you been a Theo basher during his tenure?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

God speed Killer, may your remaining time be spent with your loved ones and may they be blessed upon your passing...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

My childhood hero, this humble man probably never made an enemy in his life. I'll never forget Harmon Killebrew's homeruns in both ends of a doubleheader in the first MLB games I ever attended:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA196608281.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA196608282.shtml

... not to mention Killebrew's ninth-inning homer at Fenway Park in the second-to-last game of the 1967 season to catch Triple Crown winner Carl Yastrzemski for league lead in homeruns as the Red Sox swept past the Twins to win the AL pennant by one game on the final weekend of the season:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS196709300.shtml

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

God bless Harmon Killebrew.  May his final days give him peace and a respite from pain.

A true class act. He will be missed.

Godspeed, Harm.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Harmon Killebrew ends his fight with cancer:
    [QUOTE]Hitting whiffle balls pretending to be Killebrew, he will be missed, one of the greats.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]
    Ah, yes ... I remember doing the same. I called myself Harmon with last name that was a hybrid between Killebrew and my similar real last name. That hybrid name continues today as the moniker for my fantasy baseball team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Harmon Killebrew is representative of a passing era of baseball.  As a consummate power hitter, he was a feared Red Sox nemesis that any true fan of the game had to respect.  As a young kid, I loved the name.  Still do. 

The man has given much to the game of baseball, and therefore, in a way, to all of us.  Thanks for the memories. 

May his final days be filled with the bonding of loved ones, an appreciation for all that's important in life (and death too),  and freedom from fear. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the only big name home run hitter who crushed the sox regularly that i didnt hate...cool name, class act....right until the very end

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

There is something beyond sad when someone stops fighting, not because they are quitters, but because they have absolutely nothing left to give. I hope his last days are peaceful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I hear he is a very nice person.  This is very sad to hear.  My prayers are with him and his family. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I remember reading his book many, many years ago.
    It was a great read. He and Frank Howard had me sitting on the edge of my seat hoping the ball wouldn't leave the yard.

I'll never forget that stance. Power personified.

Good-bye Harmon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prknsdnld. Show prknsdnld's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]
      Awesome pic. Hammerin' Harmon at his finest. He could crush a baseball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Harm Killebrew, Frank Howard and Boog Powell.  Lordy, could they hit. All played at the same time.  Howard played for the Washington expansion Senators, which became the Texas Rangers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Howard looked like he was jiggling a large toothpick!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

LOL, harness, old friend. Yes, he did.  I recall hearing a story about an All-Star game around 1970 and it was either Harmon Killebrew or Boog Powell had turned an ankle and was having trouble moving.  Well, Frank Howard PICKED HIM UP WITH ONE ARM AND CARRIED HIM TO THE BUS.  Both Powell and Killebrew were pretty big-  Howard had them both beat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Along with Mark Belanger of the Orioles, one of my favorite non-Red Sox players.  In fact of all the sports memorabilia I have, my Killebrew lithograph is the only one of someone who did not play in either Boston/New England or Seattle. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Actually, SUMMER, Killebrew was only 6 feet tall.
    And his crouch made in look shorter. But he got the most out of his 195-200 pound frame.

Howard was nick-named the gentile giant. He was listed at 6'7" - 275. But many thought he tipped the scales closer to 300 lbs. Nice guy from what I've read.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]Harm Killebrew, Frank Howard and Boog Powell.  Lordy, could they hit. All played at the same time.  Howard played for the Washington expansion Senators, which became the Texas Rangers.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

Harmon made regular appearances on the AL Home Run Leaders cards.

His high pops were legendary. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Good stuff.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]Good stuff.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

He hardly had to retake a new picture.  Just reuse that same pose and plant it on next year's card. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Here's more: Note him facing Koufax.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l52zHeWFDso&feature=related