Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today?

I believe so.  Pujols has had a legendary career, but it appears that he may be entering his decline.  Gonzalez has put up absolute monster numbers this season and is running away with the batting title as well as the RBI title.  If somebody knows of a better hitter, I'd like to know.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today?

In fairness to Puljos he's been battling injuries this year, but today or rather this year Gonzalez is clearly having a season for the ages and his numbers are better. I also like Votto from Cincy and Hamilton ain't exactly a punch and judy hitter either...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe-----------------. Show -The-Babe-----------------'s posts

Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today?

Huge difference between his home and road splits. More of a product of fenway then actually being the best hitter in the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today?:
    Huge difference between his home and road splits. More of a product of fenway then actually being the best hitter in the game.
    Posted by -The-Babe-----------------

wow; for babe that's almost a compliment.
    btw, what's TEX'S 240+ batting average a product of?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today?:
    In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : wow; for babe that's almost a compliment. btw, what's TEX'S 240+ batting average a product of?
    Posted by the_yazzer

I believe it's a product of Tex not getting enough hits. Pretty simple.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

AGon is having a great year, certainly better than Pujols or Teixeira, but it's only one year. 

Babe appears to have confused home/away with righty/lefty.  AGon is about the same at Fenway or on the road, but his splits against righties are much better than against lefties. 

What I do give AGon a lot of credit for is making the other hitters better, especially Ellsbury and Ortiz.  I think those two have copied his hit to all fields approach. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

AGon is having a great year, certainly better than Pujols or Teixeira, but it's only one year.  Babe appears to have confused home/away with righty/lefty.  AGon is about the same at Fenway or on the road, but his splits against righties are much better than against lefties.  What I do give AGon a lot of credit for is making the other hitters better, especially Ellsbury and Ortiz.  I think those two have copied his hit to all fields approach. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

Really? He does have a big difference L vs R but look at his home / road splits.

Home - .397 / .593 / 1.044

Away - .316 / .387 / .931

Still very good on the road but definitely huge difference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Babe is partially right in that AGon's OPS is about 110 points higher at home.  But his HR/RBI numbers are just as good on the road, and if you doubled his road numbers he'd still be close to the top in all categories.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MIKESOX. Show MIKESOX's posts

How do you measure "clutch" hitting? When you just have to get the guy in from second, I don't know of anyone oding a better job of hitting at the right time than AGon. Clutch! Now if we could just strap down Crawford and Youk in a couple of chairs and make them watch hour after hour of Adrian standing in the batters box and taking swings, maybe something would sink in and those two would get over themselves and start to hit like he does.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

What a coincidence. I had insomnia all night and didn't catch a wink because I was debating in my mind whether AGonz had overtaken Pujols as the game's best hitter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

RE: but it appears that he may be entering his decline. 

RE: In fairness to Puljos he's been battling injuries this year,

Coming off steroids will do that to a player

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Why do RS fans what to make every Sox player to be the greatest or best all the time?
    Why can we not just appreciate the players we have for what they do every single day.
    Play good hard nosed baseball giving it their best day in and day out.

Does it really matter? RS will say he is, NY fans will say he's not as would St. Louis fans. Then what would Philly fans say.
    He is leading the league right now and is helping the RS day in and day out.

If you look at it objectively he is having a career year.
    So people are ready to say he is the best and compare him to others who are having off years. Better look at careers since there are a couple who have had better stats over the past few years than he has.

Yes is he the best right now probably. However he is having a CAREER year right now. So if he goes back to his 290 ave, 315 OB and 500 Slg next year just remember all the things you said this year before you throw him under the bus.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

What a coincidence. I had insomnia all night and didn't catch a wink because I was debating in my mind whether AGonz had overtaken Pujols as the game's best hitter.
    Posted by Your-Echo

i don't think you had insomnia; i think you were sleeping and only dreaming that you had a mind.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

Posted by Your-Echo

Doubtful as it's apparent that you really don't even care about baseball.

Now if you said you were up all night trying to figure out who's posts are worthy or not I might have believed you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why do RS fans what to make every Sox player to be the greatest or best all the time? Why can we not just appreciate the players we have for what they do every single day. Play good hard nosed baseball giving it their best day in and day out. Does it really matter? RS will say he is, NY fans will say he's not as would St. Louis fans. Then what would Philly fans say. He is leading the league right now and is helping the RS day in and day out. If you look at it objectively he is having a career year. So people are ready to say he is the best and compare him to others who are having off years. Better look at careers since there are a couple who have had better stats over the past few years than he has. Yes is he the best right now probably. However he is having a CAREER year right now. So if he goes back to his 290 ave, 315 OB and 500 Slg next year just remember all the things you said this year before you throw him under the bus.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Jim, it is my guess that threads like this could be started by someone on the BDC staff. At the bottom of their thread ideas pile just might be " what is your favorite ballpark hot dog, Fenway Franks or ------.?"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Why do RS fans what to make every Sox player to be the greatest or best all the time? Why can we not just appreciate the players we have for what they do every single day. Play good hard nosed baseball giving it their best day in and day out. Does it really matter? RS will say he is, NY fans will say he's not as would St. Louis fans. Then what would Philly fans say. He is leading the league right now and is helping the RS day in and day out. If you look at it objectively he is having a career year. So people are ready to say he is the best and compare him to others who are having off years. Better look at careers since there are a couple who have had better stats over the past few years than he has. Yes is he the best right now probably. However he is having a CAREER year right now. So if he goes back to his 290 ave, 315 OB and 500 Slg next year just remember all the things you said this year before you throw him under the bus.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I don't think so Jim; if you look at his recent years with SD, yes the average is down, but the road OPS is similar.  If you double his 2009 road stats, they are monstrous.  If we're going to say he's getting a bump from Fenway this year, we have to acknowledge how much Petco took away from him over his career.  This is a year that many of us predicted (OPS and home advantage-wise, though most would have thought he would have more HRs and a lower average) and I think we can expect similar numbers for the next few years.  If anything, I think he might turn it on in the power dept, and improve his numbers over the past 2 months of the season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : I don't think so Jim; if you look at his recent years with SD, yes the average is down, but the road OPS is similar.  If you double his 2009 road stats, they are monstrous.  If we're going to say he's getting a bump from Fenway this year, we have to acknowledge how much Petco took away from him over his career.  This is a year that many of us predicted (OPS and home advantage-wise, though most would have thought he would have more HRs and a lower average) and I think we can expect similar numbers for the next few years.  If anything, I think he might turn it on in the power dept, and improve his numbers over the past 2 months of the season.

Posted by slomag

Or maybe pitchers are starting to figure him out a little and that's why we have seen a precipitous decline in his power numbers. Maybe that's why he has what...1 hr since the break?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : Or maybe pitchers are starting to figure him out a little and that's why we have seen a precipitous decline in his power numbers. Maybe that's why he has what...1 hr since the break?
    Posted by -The--Babe---------

Only one HR since the break, but a .373 BA, .434 OBP and 13 RBI in 15 games.  Maybe the reality is he's not a big home run hitter because he's more than willing to settle for singles and doubles.  I don't really know, I'm still trying to figure the guy out a bit myself.  But his overall numbers are pretty damn impressive. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : Or maybe pitchers are starting to figure him out a little and that's why we have seen a precipitous decline in his power numbers. Maybe that's why he has what...1 hr since the break?

When pitchers figure a hitter out, it usually results in fewer hits, not different kinds of hits.  Take Teixeira for instance - he seems to have been figured out, but he still hits a lot of home runs.  He has gone from being a Miguel Cabrera type to being a Carlos Pena clone.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : Only one HR since the break, but a .373 BA, .434 OBP and 13 RBI in 15 games.  Maybe the reality is he's not a big home run hitter because he's more than willing to settle for singles and doubles.  I don't really know, I'm still trying to figure the guy out a bit myself.  But his overall numbers are pretty damn impressive. 

Posted by Hfxsoxnut

He certainly has been impressive, no doubt about that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : When pitchers figure a hitter out, it usually results in fewer hits, not different kinds of hits.  Take Teixeira for instance - he seems to have been figured out, but he still hits a lot of home runs.  He has gone from being a Miguel Cabrera type to being a Carlos Pena clone.

Posted by slomag

I think Tex's problem is he screwed up his swing with the short porch in RF at Yankee Stadium, which is also the reason for his high HR total.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

You could be right Babe but Tex has always had an upper cut swing. I have often thought that the dimensions in NY suit him better than they would have in Boston because he is an upper cut pull hitter. And he always has been a much better hitter at home. When it was Texas that made sense as it was a launching pad. But by the time he had done it in Atlanta and then Anaheim it was safe to assume that being at home suited him well. NY in many was was the perfect storm for him. Great dimension for his LH swing and A-Rod behind him.

He got off to a bad start and it is one of those years. I doubt his BA this year is who he is.

That said Gonzalez is a more solid hitter. His slumps have always been shorter. His home road splits never as dramatic as a lot of players. He produces runs between his HR streaks (he is a streaky HR hitter).

In the spirit of the OP I have no idea nor little concern if Adrian has overtaken Albert, what is clear is that season to date A-Gon is having a killer year, taking full advantage of who is in front of him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The--Babe---------. Show -The--Babe---------'s posts

You could be right Babe but Tex has always had an upper cut swing. I have often thought that the dimensions in NY suit him better than they would have in Boston because he is an upper cut pull hitter. And he always has been a much better hitter at home. When it was Texas that made sense as it was a launching pad. But by the time he had done it in Atlanta and then Anaheim it was safe to assume that being at home suited him well. NY in many was was the perfect storm for him. Great dimension for his LH swing and A-Rod behind him. He got off to a bad start and it is one of those years. I doubt his BA this year is who he is. That said Gonzalez is a more solid hitter. His slumps have always been shorter. His home road splits never as dramatic as a lot of players. He produces runs between his HR streaks (he is a streaky HR hitter). In the spirit of the OP I have no idea nor little concern if Adrian has overtaken Albert, what is clear is that season to date A-Gon is having a killer year, taking full advantage of who is in front of him.

Posted by fivekatz

I wish you were right 5k, but tex hit .256 last year. He's a .250 hitter with pop until proven otherwise.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : I believe it's a product of Tex not getting enough hits. Pretty simple.

Yup.  Straight truth.  Kinda like Lackey's 6+ ERA-product of giving up too many runs in the innings he pitches.  

Tex still can send those balls out, though.  It's like the Yanks haven't missed A-Rod very much at all!  It'll be tight when he gets back.  I can only hope he is rusty.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Has Adrian Gonzalez overtaken Albert Pujols as the best hitter in the game today? : Really? He does have a big difference L vs R but look at his home / road splits. Home - .397 / .593 / 1.044 Away - .316 / .387 / .931 Still very good on the road but definitely huge difference.

babe - yes, his home/road splits do reflect the fenway factor that all assumed Adrian would get cozy with, especially compared to Petco.  But, given that even his road numbers are significantly greater than his overall numbers prior to this year, i think we can feel safe in saying that it might have something to do with the line-up he is hitting in, not just his home ballpark.  

Sections
Shortcuts